PDA

View Full Version : Rigging A Shoulder In Max

stewartjones
03-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Hey guys.

I have been working on getting a good deformation out of a shoulder. Thing is, everything I've tried can't be used in the game engine I'm working with. So, that's no Joint, bulge, or morph angle deformers.

I can add in extra bones to be scaled when the arm is rotated, but the results i've come up with haven't been great.

Any ideas guys? This has me stumped completely. Oh, I'm using 3ds max 8.

Thanks for your time

-Stu

joconnell
03-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Hey Stu,

for starters you can start adding in bones that start around the front of the chest plate and point back towards the socket of the shoulder, and more that start at the spine just below the shoulder blade and again point up towards the shoulder socket. This will give you something that resembles the pectorals and scapula moving and will give you a much better pivot point for fat or muscley characters shoulders to move with - you'll get more natural looking shifts in mass. A good idea is to look into using stretchy bones so you get a bit of compression and expansion on the muscles. Paul neales third rigging dvd covers this very nicely and is a worthy investment.

stewartjones
03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey man!

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'll give the extra bones a try for sure, and also the stretchy joint option. I'm currently trying to get used to max again, it's been a while as I've been using maya for so long!

Any more thoughts would be appreciated guys... Damn engine tying my hands! I should be able to use everything... That's my opinion! haha! :thumbsup:

Thanks again dude,

-Stu

dunkelzahn
03-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, scapula and clavicle are damn important. IŽd also take a look at how youŽd incorporate the deltoid muscle, maybe in the form of an extra joint going upward from your shoulder joint, to prevent unwanted deformations of your shoulder.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2006, 12:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.