PDA

View Full Version : Comic Book: my 3D sketching experiment

MihaR
03-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Hi all

This is my 2nd post I need to do to validate my existence here.. and what would be better way than introduce my finished comic book album..

So, I did 40 page full-colour comic book for kids.

I tried the unusual approach: I felt bit insecure about drawing complex sceneries, as the script required consistent perspective. This is because I have mainly done 3D for the last 10 years, so my 2D skills were getting rusty.

So, once I had done the script and layout, I 3D modelled the whole city where the events happened, then I made cameras and 'shot' every panel, which I then printed A3 sheet, in light blue as 'sketched' pages.

Here's a bird's eye view of the whole city: (http://www.miharinne.1g.fi/lopunpera/kaupunki3D.jpg)

This approach had it's own pros and cons. I was not able to go around the fact that my drawing hand was rusty.

Anyway, here are two finished pages for you to see. They were both modelled fist (I used 'cardboards' to mark characters)

Page 27 (http://www.miharinne.1g.fi/lopunpera/page27_sample.jpg)
Page 33 (http://www.miharinne.1g.fi/lopunpera/page33_sample.jpg)

So yeah, while I'm not so happy on my drawing, I'm happy with the feeling of space and colors. I'll be starting to look for publisher later this year.

Any comments or feedbak or criticism is welcome. Thanks guys.

LoTekK
03-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Hey, nice! I think the results have turned out nicely, and I like the visual style (it kinda reminds me of the old TinTin comics :) ).

JPGargoyle
03-16-2006, 04:48 PM
That looks great!

I like everything except the "font" you use for the captions (looks like hand drawn).
I think you could improve that by using a real font.

Best regards.

P.S.: can't you post page 34? Now I'm curious to know what is bothering Elvin he he ;)

MihaR
03-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks very much for your comments. I'm not even close to TinTin, but thanks, that was quite a compliment ;)

Sorry that I can't give too much away, but there will be more info on my website later.

fonts are indeed hand drawn, I wanted originally to type text by hand, but obviously my writing is not good enough. Well, I'm still waiting for the final check for english translation and french translation, so maybe I should reconsider making my own fonts and typing them in.

I got some listing for publishers in UK/US/France, but any info about publishers elsewhere would be welcome. If you know anyone who would be willing to look at this book, say, for example, in Singapore or Portugal, then by all means please let me know. Like I said, I 'm going to have this book already three languages; finnish, english and french.

Screenblind
03-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Well done Miha - I think your approach is a bold one - even if it was born from an attempt to avoid drawing difficult backgrounds from scratch! :D

Chris Ware apparently builds 3D Models to reference for his comics and I can see how it must be great to swoop about a Digital Set and pick your locations.

The drawing-style itself is only going to improve and has a nice consistency - even between very different characters!

Very interesting, thankyou.

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2006, 12:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.