PDA

View Full Version : every when is good to reformat you pc?

mooncry
03-16-2006, 06:05 AM
hi guys ive read somewhere, that it is always good to reformat your pc every once a year or two? but isnt it too much work? coz whenever you reformat, you must install again all the softwares that you need and do all the updates again? are there ways to reformat without re-installing all the softwares again? thanks in advance guys!!

Beamtracer
03-16-2006, 08:14 AM
If you have a second hard drive, then you can reformat the first drive without having to reinstall your software. There are backup programs that can create an exact replica of your drive.

jbw
03-16-2006, 09:21 AM
I believe using software like Norton ghost will allow you to create an image of your system hard drive. I've never done it but I think it works like so:
Once you've got a clean windows install and all apps and updates are on your machine you create a backup image of your system drive. When it comes time to re-install just format the disk and then use the backup image to recreate your perfect install.
I've never gotten around to doing this but I believe it works well and I imagine it saves a shedload of time.
As for when is best, it all depends on what junk you've got on your PC. If you keep an eye on your PC and don't install crap on it I don't think you need to format in regular intervals at all. I only tend to do it when system files have become corrupt, virus or spyware has caused complications or I've bought a new OS.

FunkyCowie
03-16-2006, 05:58 PM
right... but a year down the line... when you come to put your drive back to it was when you installed everything... isn`t it all out dated? you still need to upgrade stuff to the latest software etc. So you invariably mess it up again by uninstalling the software that needs upgrading from your ghost copy...

I do a full re-install every six months and have got it down to a fine art... it takes me 3 hours and 26 minutes to get everything up and running... yes I`m real sad... I have timed myself...

sooo... 3.33 hours setting up everything and having a nice shiney new install with everything configured right and up to date... or 1 hour... maybe 2 hours puting your ghost copy on your drive and upgrading your software and hardware to latest revisions etc and losing some speed cos not everything is quite how it could be and...

eh I won`t go on, when it comes down to it if you want everything right, just reformat and reinstall for a six month or year only thing it takes barely any time at all.

nafa
03-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Normally, people refer to reformatting a hard drive and reinstalling OS (Windows etc) on a PC.

If your PC is running smoothly, there is no point in reinstalling the OS every year. On the otherhand, if you frequently install/uninstall new programs/games, then the OS could be so screwed up that periodically reinstall would make it run better. However, you should be able to feel the need because your PC will be running slower and having random fits like locking up and abnormal program terminations.

Regarding reformating the harddrive, it can be avoided if you routinely perform disk scan and defragmentation to keep the drive healthy. Then you only need to reformat the drive if it develops serious bad sector problem.

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2006, 02:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.