PDA

View Full Version : Normal map seems to be causing illumination problems

smath
03-16-2006, 03:18 AM
When i bring my model into maya and apply the normal map that i created with zbrush, the front side of the model seems to be well lit, while the back is dark. No matter how many lights i add, or which way i rotate the model in my scene, this stays the same, so i'm thinking theres a problem with my normal map thats causing this.

After the map was created in zbrush, and displayed on the model, the back was mainly red, and the front was more of a greenish-blue. Shouldn't it be generally the same all over the model?

Anyone know what i've done wrong?
Thanks!

NyneDown
03-16-2006, 04:54 AM
I had a similar problem and couldnt get it figured out, normal maps are tricky man. Hopefully somebody will reply with a solution.

smath
03-16-2006, 05:41 AM
Well, it looks like this front=well lit/back=dark problem happens only with normal space maps, and when i use tangent space maps, the entire model is evenly lit, except that everything is very bright and washed out looking.

None of the presets seem to help, so im going to try various settings and see if anything changes..

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2006, 05:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.