PDA

View Full Version : Modify 25-tile camera for Stitcher 5.1 help

Newstream
03-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi !

I recently took advantage of the MAXON-RealViz offer and purchased Stitcher 5.1 at a discount. It works great when creating QTVR cubical or spherical panoramas using rendered output from C4D.

However, one of the most interesting features in Stitcher is its ability to automatically flat-stitch images together at the single click of a button which is a massive time saver when considering doing it the "old fashioned way" in PhotoShop. In fact, it couldn't be more simple. The only prerequisite is that each image (or tile) be of the exact same size and share a slight overlap to its neighbouring tile (on each of its sides)
Stitcher needs this tiny overlap to figure out which tiles fit where.

To test that it actually worked, I sliced up a large render into equal overlapping tiles and hit the "AutoStitch" button. Bang! done in a second!! "Bye bye stitching in PhotoShop" I thought to myself...

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the 9 & 25 tile camera found in the object library because the Xpresso slices the tiles cleanly without any overlap whatsoever, making it impossible for Stitcher to assemble the image. I've been fiddeling with the Xpresso in the 25-tile cam in order to force it to create a slight 2-5% overlap between tiles but failed to get it to work.:banghead:

Does anyone know what setting needs to changed in the Xpresso to get the tiles to overlap slightly? For those of you who regularly use 25 tile cam for splitting large renders over the network and want to save yourselves a ton of post-work this will be like Christmas when it works.
:beer:

Any input greatly appreciated.
Cheers / Alex

Aries
03-16-2006, 07:45 AM
Not fully on topic but..
There is a stitching tool in PS CS2 too. It's in File / Automate / Photomerge.

Newstream
03-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Not fully on topic but..
There is a stitching tool in PS CS2 too. It's in File / Automate / Photomerge.

Good tip but unfortunately PhotoShop CS2 also needs the source images to overlap slightly.
I found RealViz to actually be better than PhotoShop CS2 in this regard because of Stitcher's (optional) automatic image equalizing capabilities between assembled tiles.
The final results demanded little or no post-work which is a time-saver.

Cheers / Alex

Jorge Arango
03-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Edit #3: in the condition node, you change every "1" for ".9" and every "2" for "1.8" and there you are (for 25 tile).

While I was testing, I made a Photoshop action that assembled the pictures.

It would have to be modified for different picture sizes.

On the Mac at least you would have to open the images in PS by dragging from the finder. If you open them from the PS Open dialog, they would open in a weird order.

If you want, I can send you the action (for 9tile but could be easily converted to 25)

Jorge Arango

sketchbook
03-18-2006, 11:23 PM
i have never used this camera option (again slightly OT). could i theoretically use the tiling camera to render a single frame into many different images? this might solve my out of memory issues, and would also allow me to network render something.

problem is i see nothing in my manual about the tiled camera :(

Newstream
03-18-2006, 11:58 PM
i have never used this camera option (again slightly OT). could i theoretically use the tiling camera to render a single frame into many different images? this might solve my out of memory issues, and would also allow me to network render something.

problem is i see nothing in my manual about the tiled camera :(

In my experience, splitting up a typical "out of memory" render into smaller more manageable frames using the 25-tile cam, is often successful. (don't ask me why..) As mentioned, you just have to stitch everything together manually in PS. Another thing you should be aware of when using this technique is that if an effect like lens flare or material glow happen to be located near a tile border, you might see this effect being cut off where the next tile begins.

Generally speaking, there's usually a bit of post work involved when "tile camming"

Then there's C4D-64 land where memory isn't as big an issue...

/ Alex

sketchbook
03-18-2006, 11:59 PM
sorry. looked into the wrong manual.

Newstream
03-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Edit #3: in the condition node, you change every "1" for ".9" and every "2" for "1.8" and there you are (for 25 tile).
Jorge Arango

Thanks Jorge!
I'll test what you suggested.
Cheers / Alex

sketchbook
03-19-2006, 12:04 AM
well my OOM errors are never really that, so 64 bit will get me nowhere. i have 8 gigs of memory on my mac, and i have watched the memory usage, which never goes very high at all, and then get an OOM error anyhow. i assume it has something to do with jenna.

where is this condition node you speak of?

sketchbook
03-19-2006, 12:09 AM
sorry found it

Srek
03-19-2006, 09:19 AM
well my OOM errors are never really that, so 64 bit will get me nowhere. i have 8 gigs of memory on my mac, and i have watched the memory usage, which never goes very high at all, and then get an OOM error anyhow.
To get an OOM error it's not neccesary that all memory is already allocated. It is sufficent if the current operation requests more then is currently available
Example:
Available to CINEMA: 3 GB Already used 2.1 GB
Operation requests 1 GB
Only 0.9 GB available, OS can not deliver -> OOM error

This way you get the error without nearly using all memory available.

Cheers
Björn

sketchbook
03-19-2006, 05:32 PM
yeah, i don't know. wouldn't i see this in the activity monitor on my mac?

Srek
03-19-2006, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't expect that but i don't know.
Cheers
Björn

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2006, 07:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.