PDA

View Full Version : Death Awaits Him

doodinator
03-15-2006, 09:03 PM
More practice with coloring in Photoshop. This is the second peice I've done (first is here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=328044&highlight=kalanni)). Yeah, I know, I suck at backgrounds.

Lineart (http://www.deviantart.com/view/23099631/) by Chrystal Smith (http://cleosama.deviantart.com/).

http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/DeathAwaitsHim.jpg

Redchaplin
03-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Sorry, yo, but I can't even decide what I like the least about this. The hair doesn't really flow naturally. The anatomy is unappealing. The colors hurt my eyes and the proportions seem all wrong. Not that I'm bashing your skill, just that this piece made my brain hurt a little.

doodinator
03-16-2006, 07:00 PM
I've been told about the color errors, and will be fixing them shortly. As for the anatomy, hair flow, and proportions... again I say, this was simply a color job of someone else's lineart.

MrBajt
03-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Sorry, yo, but I can't even decide what I like the least about this. The hair doesn't really flow naturally. The anatomy is unappealing. The colors hurt my eyes and the proportions seem all wrong. Not that I'm bashing your skill, just that this piece made my brain hurt a little.

Very encouraging, right ? -_- And if you had read the post you are commenting to you would have noticed that this is, as he said, just a coloring to someone else's lineart. And for his second f*cking try this is indeed not bad ._.

*cough*

This was your second try ? Nice... Keep on trying ;) For the skincolors, maybe look at http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery (click on tutorials). Some very very (...) very nice tricks/tips there ;)

doodinator
03-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry, yo, but I can't even decide what I like the least about this.
yeesh. I'd expect that kind of criticism on ConceptArt.org, but not here! :P That's the only thing I've got a gripe with on forums is the unconstructive criticism. The trick I've found to avoiding that is posting stuff that doesn't suck quite as bad ^_^.

Smiagol: Thanks for the compliment, the link, and the defense (though that last part probably wasn't very hard). The tutorials look good, I'll have to try them out.

Loolarge
03-16-2006, 08:16 PM
I am not a painter myself (yet), but let me tell what i think anyway:

I think it helps alot to apply a tint of the surrounding color to the object at some places.

I dont like the background color. (maybe that's just me)

I believe the overall color is too flat, and think it needs more shadowing/highlights.

The hair looks funky indeed :)

doodinator
03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
yeah, someone mentioned the color thing to me over at conceptart.org. I'm giving my hand a day's rest, then im going to do some (runs back to check those official sounding terms that were used) edge variation and color harmonizing. Also, as mentioned above, I suck at backgrounds. :P

doodinator
03-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Changed quite a few things here;
--skin color, added color to highlights/shadows of skin,
--changed pants (and painted legs) to conform with artist's original idea,
--changed background to non-retina-burning contrast color, added quick pillows (they suck, i know)
--did some edge variation and added shadows on skin from hair. thanks for *constructive* help, past and future.

http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/DeathAwaitsHim2.jpg

oogieboogietoogie
03-18-2006, 06:47 PM
I'd say the coloring is pretty good! ^__^ Esp. the skin.

I'd have to say about the clothes however:
they look as if they were wringed together with cords or threads, it looks very unnatural. Maybe studying the way a towel or shirt hangs on a hanger or hook could help with the shadowing. :)

Keep up the good work :p

trialanderror
03-19-2006, 04:22 AM
colours work much better in the last one. Howewer there are two things I like to mention. I like the pants in the first image better as the leg seems to be clearer regognizable to me. Secondly the left foot seems wrong to me. I donīt know but is it possible to crease it towards the center in that way?

maybe Iīm wrong,

anyway, good work at all, espesially the transparent mouth cloth is very well done

keep posting

doodinator
03-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Ninetales- Thanks... and yeah, I need to work on my cloth, i know >.<

trialanderror- I changed the pants in the second image because i showed the first image to the person who did the lineart. she said it was great, but the pants were supposed to be see through like the facecloth. I had just misinterpreted the lines. I do like the first pants better too, to be honest, but i wanted to get it like the line artist had in mind. As for the last part, i had a bit of trouble understanding your suggestion. did you mean that i should put skin folds in the bottom of the foot to show that it's bending? It seems like it would be good idea to me.

kilon
03-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Come on people be polite :argh: Why can not respect other people work ? Personally without being an expert I like what you have done so far .... I do not think is bad it is only incomplete or should I say WIP :hmm: The question is how far you wish to go ... you are right to think that the bacground need more detail. The cloth needs more crisp shadows. Also there should be a more smooth transition from foreground to background. The edges of your figure for her body and hair are not very smooth curves. Well that is all keep up the good work :bounce:

doodinator
03-19-2006, 03:21 PM
kilon (member.php?u=207318)- thanks for the suggestions. Aside from redchaplin, i think everyone has been helpful so far... thanks everyone!

heres the tricky thing about coloring from lineart. the colors can really be anything as long as they fit the theme. My roomate asked if he could tweak some of the colors, and I let him (in a separate save file, of course). I like the pillows and the BG better on his. The pants are a toss up, but I'm leaning toward the purple. I definitley like the bronze skin and blue facecloth better though... what do you think?

http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/comparitive.jpg

trialanderror
03-19-2006, 05:28 PM
youīre right kilon. Just was sick of saying all the time "yeah great work". But yes, I could say to quite all images I saw in this forum so far that they are great. As Iīm learning myself I know how important constructive critique is for me as you can see me too makes lots of errors. What I was commenting on were only small issues which jumped in my eye immetiadely. Not that important. I donīt know if you agree but I think itīs better we tell it rather than the audience which will be much harder in my opinion.

Regarding the foot I was just wondering if itīs bend toward the center. Iīm sorry for my bad english at that point. But now I see that it looks to be tupsy turvy. Donīt know exactly. As youīre using a linework of another person maybe you could ask? What do you think?

You doing very well, remember just small things Iīm commenting on...

keep up the good work:)

doodinator
03-19-2006, 06:59 PM
ok, i combined the elements i liked best about both. whaddaya think?

http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/DeathAwaitsHim3.jpg

trialanderror
03-19-2006, 08:58 PM
congrats from me, like it very much, colours and all

very well done!!!

doodinator
03-19-2006, 10:20 PM
I think im more or less done with this. can i get this moved to finished, of do i need to repost? anyone care to rate it?

trialanderror
03-20-2006, 12:25 AM
well, itīs done from my point of view. I like it very much. just post it and I will rate it...:)

doodinator
03-20-2006, 05:04 AM
err.. sorry, never done this before. do i just post a new thread in the other section? forgive my n00bness.

trialanderror
03-20-2006, 09:48 AM
sorry with this, me too has never done it... Iīm also new here

doodinator
03-20-2006, 11:11 PM
ok, it's been submitted. should be up in the next 48 hours, it said.

trialanderror
03-21-2006, 03:56 AM
cool, Iīm going to vote for you...

tnx for commenting on my image, your tips are great and very constructive, just was surprised about the good "start" as I spend lots of time with the rendering but itīs ok and I hope you donīt mind Iīm telling you...

Anyway, hope to see more of your work

doodinator
03-21-2006, 03:21 PM
heh yes, its weird spending a lot of time on something and having someone tell you 'good start'. It is a small blow to the ego, but usually people say that when you are a few small details away from making it really good instead of just good. I'm glad my advice helped.

trialanderror
03-21-2006, 03:55 PM
thank you very much for reply... You nailed it! I think I get discouraged too quickly, thatīs why I asked. On the other hand I donīt want to live in an illusion and thatīs why I appreciate your critique very much...

thanks again:)

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 03:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.