PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds and Gem shading using incidence for Mental Ray.

ASW
03-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi Im attempting to create a shader for diamonds in Maya to be render with mental ray. I've created a very pleasing and accurate diamond shader before in XSI using and incidence node connected to the object transperancy. I imagine mental ray for Maya has the same shader but for the life of me I cant find it. Any help you can shoot me would be fantastic. Thanks alot in advance.

wigal
03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I have no idea whats going on in xsi.... it seems like it's the same thing you would do with ramp and a samplerfinfo connected to it (U/V coord - facing ratio).... I may be wrong though

cheers

floze
03-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Hmm.. Pixero has some incidence shaders:

http://www.pixero.com/downloads_mr.html

ASW
03-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks, the incidences shader in XSI recreates the way light bends as it enter glass or other transperant surfaces. This incidences shader seems similar but I dont believe it will create the same effect.

ASW
03-16-2006, 09:21 PM
_--Hi Angus,

You can take a look at the dgs material shader for the metal reflection and the dielectric material shader for the refraction on glass.

You can find information on them within the Maya help files by searching for 'dgs material' and select the first hit that comes back.

Lap.---

My work has an alias support membership ao I was able to get an answer from them. Thanks for all your help guys.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2006, 09:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.