PDA

View Full Version : Digital 2D Animation Workflow (compositing)

CarlCampbell
03-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi!

This has been bugging me for quite sometime... I've been trying to mix and match many different 2D animation software packages together but I just can't seem to get it right. I've also searched the internet far and wide and even discussed the matter in great detail with friends and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere...

See, the thing is I like to do my linework in Corel Painter because its in pixels (I don't like doing linework in vectors at all, not even vectorizing, its just not the same). That's easy to composite because you just set the linework layer to Multiply transparency and it shows through whats underneath. The problem is when it comes to doing my colour pass, obviously I'd like to have a whole separate image sequence containing just my colour and even maybe another one for Highlights and Shadows.

As these steps involve colour, I can't composite them the same way as I do with my linework. I've also tried importing my linework into apps like ToonBoom and creating a layer underneath and painting the colour for each frame, the problem is the linework layer doesn't completely cover the layer I'm working on (because of the lighttable option) and its pretty hard to see what I'm doing...

I've seen countless Digital 2D Animation shorts and I know they're people out there that have the key to what I'm talking about, so... any ideas?

Cheers

CarlCampbell
04-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Anyone? I'd really like to insist on this because its really important for me to learn how people pull this off...

Cheers

LucentDreams
04-16-2006, 11:27 AM
I'd love to help but I honeslty don't understand specifically what your problem is and what your trying to do.

Best as I can understand your unsure how to have highlights and shadows on seperate layers? First, how are you coloring, I udnerstand you don't want vector lineart, but are you coloring traditionally as well or digitally? if its digitally painting on a seperate layer should already store the transparency so you paint what your highlight color is and it looks right. or you can use modes like soft light for highlights and multiply for shadow passes.

do you have an image of what your going for, any kind of breakdown to look at?

And trust me the anti vector effort can often lead to a significantly larger amount of work, but if done well it definitely pays off.

CarlCampbell
04-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Probably to simplify what I mean, is that I'd love to work with transparencies from Corel Painter, but that's impossible because it doesn't support alpha channels in animations.

For the INK pass its no problem because I'd composite that with MULTIPLY as its just Black and White. But what about the colour layer and the highlights or any other layer for that matter that's in colour? I want to be able to do an animation that is the base colour on its own, but I can't composite that with a Transparency Method like (Multiply, Screen, Overlay, etc...) so I'd need an alpha channel...

What can I do?

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 09:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.