PDA

View Full Version : [moonlantern's wip thread]

lanternkid
03-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Hiyu all,
Thought I might stop lurking about now. Year 12 (last year of high school!) kicked in, SO MUCH WORK. Luckily I have two art subjects, so I do enjoy parts of it.

Umm, yah. I shall be posting some WIPs here of the stuff I'm doing for my folio. Any help on anatomy is greatly, hugely, awesomely appreciated; I haven't drawn for ages and it shows. If you find other things I might need to concentrate on it'd be cool if you mentioned those too.

This is a sketch of a character I created. I'd like to know if people think the torso is a bit short/narrow -- and if it is, does it bother you when you look at this picture? (Sorry for the digital camera shot, it's a bit dim and grainy)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/moonlantern/coy05.jpg

Thanks heaps for any feedback on this :)
Tashna

Edit: The size of the feet is intentionally exaggerated (not what Vertrucio is talking about, I mean the size in relation to everything else). That's about it for intentional alterations; the rest is due to technical ineptitude/oversight. Huzzah~

Vertrucio
03-15-2006, 10:59 AM
First thing I see is that his right foot (the one towards the left of the image) is elongated. Normally it'd be alright for it to be that length and size considering it's closer to the viewer, but because you have the foot turned towards the viewer slightly the perspective should foreshorten it a bit, thus making it seem longer than normal.

Something about his right arm bothers me right at about where his elbow should be. I think it's because on his left arm the sleeve stops just before the elbow before the arm bends and rests on the knee, but on the right arm the sleeve covers the elbow so completely that the arm looks either too short or like it's missing an elbow joint.

lanternkid
03-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks for that, Vertrucio~ I think I made the sleeve too short on the left arm, le gross.

With the leg, I'm not sure why it looks like that, the photo reference I copied it from didn't have any significant foreshortening (see below); the foot is extended downwards. So I'm thinking it's the shoe's position underneath that's causing the misreading?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/moonlantern/coyfeetcrop1.jpg

Shall correct it tomorrow and post it up; I can't draw past midnight. Thanks for the help!!

Tashna

Vertrucio
03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Ah, now that I see the reference I see the problem. Yeah, it's a combination of the shoe not being in perspective enough to look like it's not flat against the bottom of the foot. But also, the protrusion on the ankle joint (That ball that sticks out) is overemphasized a bit, so it looks like the heel instead of just the joint.

lanternkid
03-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Thankyou for that~ I altered the shoe and foot and made his left sleeve longer. I'm hoping the anklet thing will make it read better.

Started on the tree; I'll make the line variation better after I go over it again. It's meant to be a clipped juniper tree but it looks more like sth from Dr. Seuss :surprised The oval things lower down are meant to be pools of water.

Still looking for crits regarding the torso proportions. Thanks for looking!

Unn, I know the texture is creppy, it's on watercolour paper...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/moonlantern/coy06.jpg

Tashna

jmBoekestein
03-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Really tight work here Natasha. Really love his face. The tree stem looks great! I like how the smoke moves around so psychedelically(sp?). But uh, what kind of sandals are those actually? :surprised seems uncomfortable.

One thing that's maybe weird is the horizon line, it seems to be slightly slanted, but maybe that's intentional.

:thumbsup: Very beautiful work. :)

Vertrucio
03-18-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure of the origin or even if they were used, but they did exist. Those kind of sandals were used to promote balance in its wearer, or to signify that its wearer had perfect balance.

The skewed horizon is more a result of scanning the paper sideways.

Excellent changes so far, but I've also spotted another issue regarding the torso.

Where exactly is the torso? In the area where the shirt opens, is that white part his torso and the dark area the inside of the shirt? If so, then the placement of his left shoulder is a little too far off the body considering the torso placement.

However, this is very, very slight and probably not noticeable by most, so don't try to correct it if you're already into coloring.

lanternkid
03-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey jmboekestein, Vertrucio, thanks heaps~ Sorry I took so long to reply, my Net connection has been slowed and it freezes trying to load the reply page :banghead:

Hehe yeah the horizon line is slanted because I suck at taking camera shots, sorry. Sandals are called one-tooths (forgot the Japanese word), sort of like geta...they were used for walking in the mountains, or something. Apparently it's easier to walk with that kind of shoe design.

Haven't coloured yet; this weekend is reserved for my Literature + English homework, of which there is a ton of :cry:. Likewhut. So I'll try moving the torso lines around on Monday and post again (yeah the white part is the torso).

Shall also start my other artwork for my second Art subject :argh: Ew, drowning in work.

Thanks guys,
Tashna

trialanderror
03-19-2006, 12:13 AM
looks great!!! Especially the line quality and folds. No crits so far...

canīt wait for the colouring part

cheers

jmBoekestein
03-19-2006, 01:00 AM
heheh, how silly of me, you're probably right vertrucio. COmpletely overlooked the scanning part there.

Quite interesting moonlantern, I can imagine that it might come in handy for grip. I'd take my ole trusty flappers over those anyday to be honest :).

Good luck on your tests! :thumbsup:

oogieboogietoogie
03-19-2006, 01:14 AM
You're using watercolour? :) I really like looking at watercolor, it gives me sorta strange pleasant feeling.

Keep up the awesome work!

lanternkid
03-20-2006, 12:05 PM
:bounce:If anyone has any good pictures of bonsai, don't hesitate to post them!! :bounce:

Heh I spent half of today trying to fix the leaves on the tree -- not much to show for it, so I won't post an update. They look like something out of a Dr Seuss book (you can see in the last pic), which is...not what I wanted.

trialanderror, thanks! I hope you have time to finish the haunted house picture -- I really like it!

Haha jmBoekestein I agree, normal shoes would be much comfier, these sandals remind me of shoes with stilts on them. Got not idea how people even manage to stand up with themon. Ueheueh thanks about the tests and stuff as well :D I'll need all the luck possible...

Ninetales yeah watercolour is really nice, if I'm not the one using it +_+ The very loose styled realism pictures done with it are always amazing. Thanks for commenting!

So many hours drawing today and nothing decent to post. Sigh. Back to it tomorrow~!

jmBoekestein
03-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey I had found this bush on the web looking for fun reference. :D It might help, reminds me of how tidy bonsai usually is.

Rooting for yah! :wavey:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8224/braintypebrushlg1th.th.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=braintypebrushlg1th.jpg)

lanternkid
03-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Yay thanks~ They look like giant pieces of broccoli :p I did a smaller version next to the tree. Actually they're quite cute.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/moonlantern/coy07detail.jpg

With the rest of the picture, it looks like this:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/moonlantern/coy07.jpg

Comments and things appreciated...though I guess I haven't really added stuff to comment on in this update....:banghead:

Tashna

werd
03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I love how you can draw very smooth confident lines. theyr not all messy and sketchy. My favorite part is her hands:thumbsup:.

lanternkid
04-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey thanks werd (sry I so bad with replying...dahh school wrecks my lifeee). Hehe my art teacher makes me plan out things extensively in advance, it must be helping xD

Small update. I can't think of anything I can put on rocks to make them interesting (lichen? school friend suggested insects). Can you get those big, sort of mushroomy fungi growing on rocks?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/moonlantern/coy08.jpg

Thanks for looking. Sorry for progressing so slowleh.

Tashna

Runecaster
04-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Good lineart is /so/ nice to look at! I think the only thing I'd say is about the subject's right arm - the elbow hangs at a person's waist - in the pic it looks too high - but maybe that is an illusion due to the jacket.

I absolutely love it though, great composition and pose, wonderful fantasy feel. Nice work!

Onir
04-24-2006, 03:04 PM
hey lanternkid, must say your drawing is coming along great, really nice clean lines and a nice style you've got going here. amazing to me that you're able to take it along at a decent rate and really plan out what you are looking to draw... a skill I need to develop lol. in terms of making the rocks more interesting though, I'd say insects would defintiely do the trick, as would fungus. if you went to insect route maybe some larger mosquitos or something? not exactly sure if you're going for more of a swampy sort of environment. I did look at a few images for rock fungi on google and saw that most fungus directly on rocks didn't seem to get to a mushroom state (of course I may not searched hard enough); I would say though that mushrooms seem to come up from general decomposing material, so I see no reason why they wouldn't come up on a rock that had something decomposing on it. anyway good luck to ya, I'm sure this'll come out nice :)

jmBoekestein
04-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Finally!!! Some progress, looking tight and good. Can't say I know what to do with rocks, mine always become a grey smudge that looks like chewing gum. :)

Salubri3i
04-25-2006, 08:47 AM
you've got great talent there. i agree with what people have said about your lines. smooth flowing and confident.

i also like the concept including the clothes. asian and western plus fantasy elements. :thumbsup:

pap87
05-12-2006, 03:54 AM
You're doing two art subjects?
I decided to give it a try in year 11 ... much to my everlasting regret. It was terrible. Anyway.

I like the composition of this piece. Is there going to be any colouring in the future?
I can't see any anatomical issues. About the rocks, maybe some dragonflies would do the trick.
Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2006, 03:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.