PDA

View Full Version : NPR and various animated works

PhilWilkinson
03-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Hi everyone. I have just completed my demo reel platform – www.philwilkinson.com (http://www.philwilkinson.com/)

My work has lately been predominantly focused on non-photorealistic rendering (NPR) methods via Maya.

If anyone has the chance, I’d love to here your feedback. Thanks!

PhilWilkinson
03-18-2006, 01:44 AM
I was having troubles with streaming through IE so I apologize if you attempted to view my material in the last few days. All is well now + cross-browser compatible.

candywarhol
03-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Hey, nice demo reel - i like that you've given it it's own look, rather than simply cutting previous works together.

As for Dmirti - the watercolour-style filter and flickers are really lovely. Did you use AE for post production? What filters did you use to get that effect?

Loolarge
03-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Nice work. I was wondering where the music is from, was it from a Space Night compilation? I love that song

mistasam02
03-18-2006, 05:55 PM
^ ditto lol cool track! (dj shadow-what does your soul look like). nice placement with that too! where the kid spills the liquid onto the screen.

also i loved your whole watercolor effect clips.. the whole style in ur reel looks cool! good work man :thumbsup:

PhilWilkinson
03-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys! ...yes, DJ Shadow: WDYSLL pt3 from Premptive Strike.

As for the watercolour aesthetic of Dmitri, candywarhol, my plan was always to make a purely Maya-native NPR shader. Thus there are no post-production filters etc. This was a horrible, grueling task as you may discover if you battle through my exegesis. The shading network has shadows, lights and edge displacements all hard-wired into one dynamic shading group. This means single pass-rendering and no real compositing tasks bar the flicker-film effect and a few level adjustments. You simply (i use the term loosely!) build a palette of colours connected to a triple-switch node which is responsible for rendering objects uniquely.

If anyone else has done some NPR stuff via Maya or other 3D packages, please show me and tell me all about it!

LlavaJam
03-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Nice work phil.... a very interesting and unique approach to CG rendering (in regards to Dmitri).. haven;t seen much off this style of work... kind of like Disney meets Impressionism... kudos for having the balls to try something different.. it works!!!:buttrock:

would love to discuss your inspiration/motivation for tackling this somewhat alternative aesthetic.

PhilWilkinson
03-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks LlavaJam. As for motivations, I guess I’m fan of the animation-auteur pioneers (Bartosch, McLaren etc.). I want to further push the 3d medium to enable similar aesthetic paradigms.

Frankly, I think 3d animation is being asphyxiated by hyperrealism… let me clarify: there is an overwhelming push (and always has been in the 3d realm) toward photo-realistically rendered objects and environments. This is fine and has many applications (games etc.) + I admire hyperrealists for their patience with render times ;-)… BUT, are the aesthetics they produce their own or (entirely) their software’s? There is a great deal of esteem held for what the software can do (o’ how the caustics imitate refractions so precisely these days!)... Give it back to the artists.

Dmitri suffered boundaries with the software but I think the more we experiment with NPR the more we can develop new aesthetic opportunities – create an urgency for the software authors to include new engines of alternative rendering techniques. I acknowledge that this is gradually happening but I’d love to see more.

+ I’m completely open to discussion on this so please, everyone, feel free to comment.:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 11:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.