PDA

View Full Version : which video format is best please help

jcakyeh
03-15-2006, 12:10 AM
now i have a 6 minutes 1024*768 animation . i want to put it in the hardisk or in dvd
but the rule is that it can let me open by hand not auto play in dvd.
and i need the file size as small as possible but still keep good images quality .(still 1024*768)
so how can it got this effect ? or with videw format should i use .

video . need compress got less size but keep image quility

please help me
thank you very muc h

JohnnyRandom
03-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Any mpeg4 codec (wmv, qt, xvid, divx)

AFAIK I don't think a 1024x768 video will even play in a set-top dvd player, mpeg2 doesn't support that aspect.

jcakyeh
03-15-2006, 01:40 AM
you mean wmv, qt, xvid, divx formats can get good ?(still in 1024*768 )
can aftereffect render out such formats wmv ?
or which software should i get to render out those files?

thank you very much

evanfotis
03-15-2006, 10:26 AM
In AE you can create a preset, look in format, choose wmv, and choose the size and compression from the list or create a custom one.

Or, just render from AE uncompressed avi with sound, then in windows media encoder ( a free download from MS) encode it to wmv. Follow the guide, and choose the apropriate setting for you.

If you have divX, same procedure. Open avi in Converter and choose HighDef setting, or render from with AE.

JohnnyRandom
03-15-2006, 05:10 PM
you mean wmv, qt, xvid, divx formats can get good ?(still in 1024*768 )
can aftereffect render out such formats wmv ?
or which software should i get to render out those files?

thank you very much

Mpeg4 has THE best compression to quality ratio on the market at this point in time, hands down. Most of the presets are really pretty well setup with all of the codecs (wmv, qt, xvid, divx oh and I forgot to mention Sorensen).
If you hunker down and actually start tweaking the settings you can get even better results. All of these codecs of course have their pros and cons. All use slightly different algorithms to achieve their goal. For instance under heavy compression you'll notice you get varied results with the reds using the Divs codec. This problem can be fixed by upping your bitrate slightly.

As stated by evanfotis AE will encode all of these formats if they are installed in your machine. Although I would recommend rendering out either uncompressed frames (.tga or comparable) and at the least uncompressed avi. Then assembling in an editor (premiere, avid, vegas, liquid, virtualdub(BTW a great FREE processing util))

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 05:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.