PDA

View Full Version : Simulating camera rotation

leadheaded
03-14-2006, 11:11 PM
I know that ZBrush is based around Tool rotation. I wondering if there is a way that someone had figured out to rotate the tool and the lights in the scene at the same time. Essentially I don't want the lighting to change when I rotate the tool. In Maya this would mean parenting the lights to the object in question.

Is there a quick cheat for this in ZBrush? Or maybe some kind of elaborate setup.

I was using the Material Baker script to change angles. But that seems to move the lights arbitrarily. I don't know whats wrong with it.

P.S. Is there a dome lighting script for ZBrush?

Thanks

marcus-civis
03-16-2006, 08:55 AM
I've experimented with lighting scripts but without much success. I can't work out a decent algorithm for converting 3D rotation of the tool to the (basically) 2D placement of lights.

The best suggestion I can make is to use the local light function in ZMapper to examine your model.

Edit:
This little script will partly do what you want (and demosntrate the drawbacks!). Unzip and load from the ZScript>Load button. Set up your main light (it only adjusts the current light) and click Save Light. Then rotate your model (either in Edit mode or by using the Gyro). Press the Update button (hotkey zero) to update the lighting. You'll see that it doesn't quite work as expected but perhaps it will be useful...

leadheaded
03-16-2006, 09:47 PM
I have a 5 point lighting system so I guess this script doesn't really do it. I see what it is doing though. I wish there was a way to group the lights and rotate that.

Thanks for the help.

marcus-civis
03-17-2006, 10:39 AM
It might be possible to group the lights together, by providing an update facility to reposition the others after moving one light. The problems arise because of the way ZBrush handles backlighting. But I'll have a look at it.

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2006, 10:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.