PDA

View Full Version : Official UVNeter Release

kurv
03-14-2006, 11:24 PM
For Immediate Release – March 14, 2006, KURV studios begins distribution and sales of UVNeter, a UV unwrap tool specifically designed for LightWave 3D users. (Demo of UVNeter Attached)

KURV studios is proud to be working with Nitisara das on his revolutionary UV unwrap tool called UVNeter. UVNeter brings better unwrapping, more versatility and most of all, ease of use to the LightWave community. UVNeter is exclusively available through KURV studios and SpinQuad.com for the price of $59.95. The product does require registration and licensing but can be licensed to your LightWave dongle or a Mac address.

Support for this plug-in is available through the KURV studios forums located at www.kurvstudios.com/forum (http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum) under Programming and Development. You can also view UVNeter in action via video by Larry Shultz here, www.kurvstudios.com/software.php (http://www.kurvstudios.com/software.php) (coming soon).

What are others saying about UVNeter?

William “Proton” Vaughan, “Creating UV’s for my character models has always been very time consuming, more so then actually building the character in most cases. I solved problem areas like ears, nostrils, and eyelids that contain overlapping geometry with external applications before I added UVNeter to my toolkit. UVNeter allows me to stay within LightWave to create my UV’s with the simple two step process and I always get amazing results!”

Larry Shultz, "UV mapping is a powerful tool for getting point accurate placement of textures onto a 3D object. The problem with that power is that point level control can become quite tedious when flattening or unwrapping UV's. UVNeter does a great job of taking a big chunk out of that tedium by automating much of that unwrapping process."

"UVNeter has literally saved me hours of time. I think this is one of those plugins that are a must have for everyone doing 3D work."

About Nitisara das
Nitisara das is a dedicated programmer, who is completely absorbed in 3D Computer Graphics imaging. He participated in several 3D animation projects as Technical Director and programmer.
In 2002 Nitisara was honored to be called as one of the World Best Developers by French PIXEL Magazine.

Currently Nitisara is working as Technical Director and Linear Producer in 26 min 3D animation project - Russian fairytale "Sun, Moon and Black Raven".

About KURV studios
Based in McKinney Texas, KURV studios, LLC is an independent technology training company developing highend 3D training products for artists working in the film industry and students aspiring to film work. KURV studios is rapidly being recognized as the leading video training company specializing in VFX training on LightWave, 3DS Max, Digital Fusion, Photoshop, BodyPaint and more. Founded in 2004, by Wes Beckwith KURV studios has worked with industry leading artists such as Glen Southern, Larry Shultz, Fred Pienkos, Nicholas Boughen, and more. For more information on KURV studios, visit www.kurvstudios.com (http://www.kurvstudios.com/).

kurv
03-14-2006, 11:26 PM
You can try out the plugin here, with the attachement.

Enjoy!

KillMe
03-15-2006, 12:01 AM
where is teh video i cant see it

TRick
03-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Cool !!

For what versions of LW ?

monovich
03-15-2006, 03:17 AM
if I get into work that involves a lot of UV's, I'll for sure be getting this. I saw the thread about it in the Newtek forums, and it looks great.

kurv
03-15-2006, 05:54 AM
where is teh video i cant see it

Uploading tomorrow...

Cool !!

For what versions of LW ?

8.5 and higher...

Thanks monovich!

TRick
03-15-2006, 10:30 AM
...8.5 and higher...

OK !! Since all versions after 7.5 are crashing a lot more on our projects and I don't have any time to look into it, I'll guess I have to wait a little more :cry:

On the other hand, since it's only a modeler tool, I still might investigate it for use in [8]-modeler...

proton
03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Quick UV Unwrap
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122696&postcount=13

Zarathustra
03-15-2006, 02:12 PM
"For what versions of LW ?"
"8.5 and higher..."

not for OSX version of LW 8.5 and higher, right?

Vaughn: Only registered SQ members can view the image in your link

BazC
03-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah an OSX version would be much appreciated!

Proton, I notice you've got some fairly serious stretching on the chin, upper lip and a little round the eyes. Does this include tools for dealing with that or is it then down to point pulling? - Baz

opreska
03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Does anybody know of any tutorials regarding this plugin?

kurv
03-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Does anybody know of any tutorials regarding this plugin?

We have a video tutorial on it on our home page, http://www.kurvstudios.com.

Hope this helps you!!

opreska
03-23-2006, 05:51 AM
We have a video tutorial on it on our home page, http://www.kurvstudios.com (http://www.kurvstudios.com/).

Hope this helps you!!

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Gareee
03-23-2006, 02:39 PM
The video does NOT advertise uvneter very well. when I see someone fiddle with uv mapping only a finger on a hand for 15 minutes with a new tool, that doesn't indicate a huge speed increase in my uv mapping to me.

(Oh, and the reason the UVs were stuck on the edge when he was scaling them down was that symmetry was turned on.)

I think for $25 it woud be a good plugin tool, but for $50, I'll just pass and invest that in hexagon 2 and it' uv unwrapping, and displacement and mesh painting toolsets.

kurv
03-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Garee, the purpose of the video is to show different ways to use the tool. We felt if we scripted and presented this video showing ideal situations that would not be honest. So, we show a video where someone figures out how to UV different situations, the hand was just one of them.

It still shows how well the tool works, I don’t think in a production environment, you would be experimenting with different UV methods.

UVNeter unfolds your mesh, it does not show you the best method for cutting it TO unfold it... we expect you to know a little about that before you start.

murcielago
03-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I think its good to see not only the typicaly unwrap a head demonstrations but explanations of when and when not to use such a plugin. I also think its a good idea to encourage people to experiment with the plugin the way the video demonstrated. The hand example is a good one. Even with the fiddling around it was still faster IMO to flatten the fingers individually the way the video demonstrates as opposed to doing it all manually the standard way. Most people dont get UV mapping in general and this gets across just how useful UVNeter is.

1/100
03-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Kurv is right.
I am sure it would have been much easier for Larry to do a slick Video, he could probably do it blind folded. At least this way those who may not be so experienced will buy the plugin with the knowledge of its capabilities, walts and all.

pooby
03-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Hee hee hee I LOVED that video..

it was comic genius showing it all going wrong so much.. wasn't Larry supplied with the instructions first?

KillMe
03-24-2006, 01:00 AM
yeah in that video when hes trying to move the uv map and bits were sticking i was talking to my screen saying turn off symetry =)

not sure if i'll get this though - descide if and when i ever need it i guess

Gareee
03-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Check out the demo videos of unfold3d, and of max's peltmapper.. you draw the seam lines, pretty much click a button, and the pelt mapping is done.

Both Modo, and the new $200 Hexagon 2 have similar features.

IMHO, you buy a uv mapping utility to increase your productivity, and decrease developement time.

Much as I think uvneter looks nifty, I think the money for it would be much better spent buying a better uv mapping solution. Some times you get what you pay for.

And Kurv, watch the un mapping demo stuff on unfold3d, and then rewatch your demo video on unwrapping JUST the top part of a hand.. with unfold3d, you unwrap an entire figure in about the same amount of time.

pooby
03-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Yes, to be honest.. as much as I liked it- it was for all the wrong reasons. If I were the author I'd demand you do another one making it look quick and efficient.
It puts me off the product quite a lot - and I was really quite interested in it previously.

CAClark
03-27-2006, 12:51 PM
That was a pretty funny video to watch. I almost fealt sorry for Larry.

I would say though that I can see merit in UVNeter, and would be interested to see if it really has any benefit outside of character work.

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2006, 12:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.