PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the Day: Deformable animation paths.

Vizfizz
03-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Normally you just can't deform an animation path in EIAS. However, through my tests on the Storm mini challenge I've found a really nice alternative. If you haven't been reading that thread... it goes a little like this.

Obtain the Path2Line free plugin from the Igors. This will convert a null's animation curve to a line. Set your smoothing to a very low number. The lower the number, the smoother the line.

This technique requires pathfinder. Load pathfinder into the scene. Parent an ubershape or object to Pathfinder and also parent the path2line group to pathfinder. Tell pathfinder you wish to calculate based off the path's geometry...and you're basically done. Path2line continues to convert the effector's motion path on the fly, and pathfinder can read it. Nesting plugins like this tends to slow things down a little bit, but if you don't require editing the path on the fly, export it out as a fact model and bring it back in. Pathfinder will go considerably faster that way.

The nice thing about this entire technique is the geometry of the path is now capable of being deformed by any EIAS deformer. In this example I used runwave to jumble up the animation's path.

gdogfunk
03-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Cool trick! I have pathfinder, but cannot finr Path2Line plugin anywhere...google doesn't even return 1 result. Where can I find it?

Thanks!

Ryan

Reuben5150
03-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Cool trick! I have pathfinder, but cannot finr Path2Line plugin anywhere...google doesn't even return 1 result. Where can I find it?

Thanks!

Ryan

I think you'll find it in the Mr revolver thread :)

Reuben

Vizfizz
03-19-2006, 05:36 PM

Thanks!

Ryan

Yah.. its in that thread..

It will also be a part of the upcoming Mr. Revolver release should you decide to purchase that plugin.

Let me know if you can't find it.. I can also send it to you.

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2006, 05:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.