PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Sharpe meets Colonel Dubreton -

BuzzUK
03-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Im a huge fan of the Sharpe series of novels by Bernard cornwell and i decided to do a painting based on a scene from Sharpes Enemy. Here are Sharpe and Harper(left) meeting Colonel Dubreton, and his Seargeant(right), within a Spanish Monastery, where there wives are held captive by French and British deserters.

Its mostly just a rough sketch at the moment and will change a lot, ive spent the most time on the french characters on the right so far.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/andrewbee2005/images/newpaintings/sharpeanddubretonall.jpg

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/andrewbee2005/images/newpaintings/sharpeanddubretonlarge.jpg

The image has been done in Photoshop CS on a cintiq 21ux interactive pen display.

AlyFell
03-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Hi Andy! Good to see a WIP from you matey. I like your choice from the Sharpe books... 'lost in solitary gloom'. Watch the gloom though, the image is quite dark and desaturated. Don't be affraid to bring your colours up a bit more; something I could do well to remember myself. Watch the proportions, particularly on Dubreton. His head is quite big for his body, but that might be the shako misleading me. And one silly little thing; look at the tangent on the colour separation on Dubreton's shako tuft; it lines right up with the cross beam in the distance. It's only a WIP so I won't crit further. Looking forward to an update! :) (Not long to wait till the new 'series'...)

BuzzUK
03-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi mate :)

Feel free to make any more comments, i need all the help i can get, perhaps on the two french characters as they are at the most advanced stage so far.

Im likely to redo the shakos plume and Im going to do a new version of the background as its a bit wonky and only a test, i still want to do an out of focus background though, i like the way it makes the characters stand out.

I think the proportions on dubretons arms are a bit out, perhaps the one holding the sword hilt is to big(come to think of it, perhaps his right arm is to small too :) ). Part of my problem is that the uniform makes the proportions look odd as the clothes of that time dont fit the same way as modern clothes do these days.

As for the colours, ill try to raise the saturation, the trouble is that both my monitors look different on the colour and brightness and its hard to know which is the right one :banghead: .

aldog
03-20-2006, 10:16 PM
This looks amazing, I love the shiny metal.

The only critique I have is that Sharpe(I'm guessing that's who it is, the one with there back facing the...camera) his head is a little blurry

BuzzUK
03-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks mate :), yes that figure is Sharpe himself, i still need to bring him up to the quality of the French soldiers yet, im hoping to get him looking similar to Sean Bean.

BuzzUK
04-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi all,

ive made a little more progress over the last few days. Ive decided to strip out the background as it was distracting and the left hand characters. I have now roughed the characters out again in a simple greyscale, over which i will do a more detailed colour pass.

I hope you like :)

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/andrewbee2005/images/newpaintings/4.jpg

AlyFell
04-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I did this quick 'draw-over' Andy. The proportions are still a bit off, but this feels a more comfortable pose for Sharpe to be in... whaddya think?

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7239/4a1ct.jpg

BuzzUK
04-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks Al, i like it, ill have a crack at it when im back from holiday(im off down south for a week). Thanks for taking the time to help me out :)

duddlebug
04-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi Mr.Buzz

'Tis looking good... There's some really nice attention to detail on the french outfits and i quite like the muted palette and basic lighting, although having said that, i'd probably agree with Aly that you could beef up some of the colours. My only other crit is that the uniforms could look a little more 3-Dimensional. I think it's a combination of the outlines and the lack of distinct shadows or profile...? I'd imagine the materials in these uniforms would be quite heavy and thick and you could perhaps try and portray that better...

Anyway... best of luck!

And have a nice holiday!

BuzzUK
04-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Ive spent a couple of hours on the new pose and got hold of some better reference of Sharpe, and so far i think its working. It still needs tweaking(as well as the Details adding), but i think its stronger than the previous attempt. :applause:

Ill do some more over the weekend and i will keep this image up to date (btw this is a trimmed down version of the full image).

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/andrewbee2005/images/newpaintings/5.jpg

jmBoekestein
04-28-2006, 09:42 PM
mm, I feel like a twat when I see your understanding of values, but I'm going to say it anyway.
I feel there's a problem with the suggestion of perspective, stress suggestion, because using a telelens might yield a result as yours. But readability seems to suffer.
ake a look at the figure second from right, the line of his mouth seens to be very straight and cuts up the vlumes in the image instead os complementing the allready existing forms.

Which you've shaded really well I gotta say, but it's a composition issue I think bugs me.

Just to illustrate the effect hmm... lemmec... Well kind of like the shoulders are lined up in two near 90 degree diagonals.. they're conflicting but not in a way that portrays the image, there's not the certainty of a message. Hope that makes sense. :)

BuzzUK
04-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi mate, i think i understand what you mean. The figures all need more volume(ill have to fix that with lighting) and things like the straight mouth, seem to help make things like the head seem flatter(although this is more of a problem in the reduced image in my last post, the mouth has turned into little more than a straight line, which isnt so bad in the close up). I will try to fix some of these problems soon.

I see by your work, you give off a sense of volume and "3D"ness very well(the nude lady in your quickdraw thread) :)

BuzzUK
04-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Ive updated the image attachment above. Ive now added a bit of experimental scenery to the scene and added a few more details to Sharpe.

BuzzUK
05-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Image updated. Feel free to post any usefull observations :)

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/andrewbee2005/images/newpaintings/6.jpg

BuzzUK
07-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Hi all.

Its been a while since i worked on this. Heres the latest version[see above], ive now started the Arch and floor.

AlyFell
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Looking great Andy! I like the light on the building behind. Watch the perspective on the tower. Just a bit out.... Great likeness on Sharpe too. Harper still needs a bit of work to look like Daragh O'Malley, but maybe you don't want him to look just like him. Top!

BuzzUK
07-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks Al :thumbsup: i would like to get the likeness of the characters right, but im not sure i have the energy, ive been working late evenings, so i can get this done ;)

As i type this, Im working on the characters boots, my god its hard :banghead: , but i think im getting there.....

Zephyri
07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi Andrew, I've got to say, this is pretty impressive. I know how difficult it can be trying to create something from something you've read, and have tv or film references for too, so great job on getting the tv likenesses in a non-tv scene!

Compositonally, my eye at this moment is drawn to the sunlit spot just next to Sharpe's chest, as it's the brightest most saturated bit of the painting and the detailing in the windows kinda keeps it there. Which is a shame cause I really love the background as far as it's done now, especially the way the light hits the building. Maybe work on bringing some more saturation into the characters at the front.. like where the sunlight hits their clothing? Even if the blue of the french guys' outfits is quite dark, in sunlight it would bring out its most saturated hue. Or if you dont want to over saturate, maybe add a little more saturated colour where the light and shadows meet?

And I love the rendering of Dubreton's outfit, the buttons are so well done. Great work!

BuzzUK
07-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks so much for your encouraging comments Sam :thumbsup: , i will certainly try and add some more lighting to the characters outfits, as it will help make Sharpe i bit more 3D and add a bit more colour to him. I would also like to give them a bit more texture too, something a bit more woolly.

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2006, 10:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.