PDA

View Full Version : Google buys Sketchup (@Last Software)

a_w
03-14-2006, 05:45 PM
More info here:

http://www.sketchup.com/index.php?id=1439

vANON
03-14-2006, 06:02 PM
rock on :buttrock:
now google invades the 3d market aswell?!
love those guys

tciny
03-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Looks like they're going to use it for google earth... give people a simple enough tool to reconstruct their own house.

ThomasMahler
03-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm waiting for:

Google buys Autodesk!

mummey
03-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow!! :eek:

I got to try it out last summer but never really had the time to get into it. This is about to get interesting...

JWcph
03-14-2006, 07:52 PM
SketchUp has been a main tool in my toolbox for years - Google is not going to tamper with the great 3D tool it is, and that's pretty much all we could get out of the people in Boulder (talked with them earlier today).
The Google Earth connection, though, is not that far fetched: The (now former) @Last crew got to know the Googlers while writing a Google Earth plugin for SketchUp. One thing lead to another, an now Google is placing a great many resources at the disposal of Ye Olde SketchUp Crew.
- but it's all there in the press release :D

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Jesper W.

umfridus
03-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Does that mean SketchUp will be available free some day? That would be great news.:D

visualride
03-14-2006, 09:14 PM
By coincidence, I was just viewing a sketchup model in Keyhole (now google earth), and it was very painful to manuver to the view that I needed. Hopefully this aquisition will help integrate the two.

pokoy
03-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Looks like they're going to use it for google earth... give people a simple enough tool to reconstruct their own house.

3d for the masses...?

dbates
03-14-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm waiting for:

Google buys Autodesk!

Will they make Combustion free? :D

richcz3
03-15-2006, 07:00 AM
It is an amazing piece of software. I know a studio here that uses it exclusively for Arch-vis.
The full version was domonstrated to me just two weeks ago. Very fast modeling with very unique features. Works very nicely with Autocad, Maya and Max. Google may have made a very shrewd move.

itsallgoode9
03-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Sketchup has been my main tool for the last 6 months at work, so this is pretty interesting. As everybody said, it's a great tool, although I have many qualms with it. Much of the time it tries to be too user friendly for it's own good and makes things more painful to do because of it.

I kinda hope the new aquisition will create some changes in the program, personally.

koexistens
03-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Whaat? This is an interesting move from Google, they never stop to amaze me with strange business moves.. Aw, well, the future will tell.

Per-Anders
03-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Very interesting news, I'm certainly intruiged about Googles plans for it (I hope it wont be left rotting on a shelf somewhere).

It's a great little app, i've only used it a few times in the past though on the demos and there were a few things that ended up putting me off overall. My main qualms with it were the viewport navigation and the autosnapping stuff sometimes just refusing to snap to an inferred axis correctly as you want (there should be some overides so you can force it to go in a specific way, or to snap to a specific point). It would also be better for the addition of some better tools for handling curved/more complex shapes, basic boleans and filling of mesh holes that aren't planar (but maybe more recent versions have that in there).

macdonaldj
03-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Does that mean SketchUp will be available free some day? That would be great news.:D

I guess not...

"Will Google make the product free?
SketchUp continues to be $495. There are currently no plans to change the pricing model of SketchUp or to offer it for free."

pixelmonk
03-15-2006, 01:46 PM
rock on :buttrock:

now google invades the 3d market aswell?!
love those guys

secretly you should fear google. There's enough reasons why. They're not as nice as you think. :)

koexistens
03-15-2006, 03:44 PM
secretly you should fear google. There's enough reasons why. They're not as nice as you think. :)

They will soon have world dominance, and I'm not joking here. The future will not be composed of countries but of search engine companies. Wohaa!

richcz3
03-15-2006, 04:23 PM
I just received an unsettling email this morning from a company I was partnering with. three months of anticipation and planning potentially dashed. Google has officialy put a kink in my business plans. :sad:

JeroenDStout
03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey, Google isn't bad, at all, they're great! They make me eat these pills and they make me hap- hap- hap- happy! Wohee!

Oooh, I can't remember what I did yesterday. Probably I celebrated how much Google is the best. Oh, one can spend years doing just that.

CupOWonton
03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
They will soon have world dominance, and I'm not joking here. The future will not be composed of countries but of search engine companies. Wohaa!
"Knowledge is power". Anyone controlling all acess to information in the future would essentialy controll the world.

richcz3
03-15-2006, 06:18 PM
If you read the Press release SketchUp is a powerful tool when used in concert with Google Earth. Google is not after the Commercial or Film CG markets with this purchase. That being said SketchUp has fantasticlay easy to learn and use modeling tools for Arch-Vis. Which is why its a great fit for Google Earth development.

It looks like SketchUp will continue to be sold as a commercial software application. Hopefully (for my business sake) SketchUp will be a base for adoption of 3D in markets that have yet to tap into the medium. For me and my partners that would be a big boost. Unfortunately we have to wait and see for any other shoe ot drop.

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 06:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.