Kurtis
03-14-2006, 04:02 PM
We've added a new LightWave v9 Feature Video to the videos page:
http://www.lightwave3d.com/lw9_demos.php

The new video is Layout: Render Status Panel
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/RenderStatus.mov

Caine607
03-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Very cool, this is something many people have been waiting for a very long time.

Pancho
03-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Dear Kurtis,

how long does it take till NT listens to the complaints of the users and starts to compress the videos posted in the "New features section"? Listening to Proton who switches between two or three still images doesn't take 30MB. That's ridiculous and quite unprofessional. Other 3D artists manage to compress their reels into 30MB files with constantly changing images. 3-5 MB would be more than sufficient for this kind of feature presentation.

Thanks in advance
Pancho

otacon
03-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I agree. Half the time i dont even bother downloading the vids because i dont feel like waiting for them.

proton
03-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Someone tipped me off to good audio settings. I got the render status video down from 30 meg to 11....look for smaller file sizes on the videos coming up!

Pancho
03-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Sounds like a step in the right direction. Thanks, Proton.

Chuck Baker
03-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Proton also recompressed the recent videos he's worked on for which he still had the project files - so now a whole bunch of the vids have much smaller sizes. We'll keep working on the others as well!

Thanks, Proton! :)

proton
03-16-2006, 05:18 AM
I did 15 of the 22 ....hopefully they will be posted soon.

Werner
03-16-2006, 05:33 AM
Excellent news Chuck! Thanks for all your hard work and great effort Proton!

Bandwidth prices in South Africa are just crazy...every bit counts :)

evenflcw
03-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Almost makes me cry. It's a sign of good character to admit you did wrong and even better of you right your wrongs. I'm happy NT isn't being it's stubborn self which I feel it has been sometimes in the past. It is often much easier to fix what went wrong then makebelieve and stick to claiming that everything is wonderful. I've obviously already seen all the vids, but I'd like for more people to see them. The smaller filesizes naturally makes them more accessible to the public. Thanks Proton and thanks NT!

(I use the word "wrong" in the sense that it was "ok, but maybe not that great". No real huge or blatant mistakes were made here.)

thomasvandenabeele
03-16-2006, 02:13 PM
OK! Great, I too was a bit disgruntled about the file sizes for these videos with hardly any motion and mono speech. Thanks for responding to the community, but also I think it does damage to the reputation of a company that makes hardware like the Toaster and streaming solutions that their own videos don't compress well.

I must admit, I work in a large organisation myself, I know how these things go ;)

Thanks,
Thomas (got my 8.5 and Vue box today! Yeeeey)

slipster70
03-21-2006, 03:59 PM
While being able to view all the render settings and time estimates are a big step in the right direction, what about the ability to pause a render? That, I think, would be even more desirable than being able to view all the render settings. Anyone agree / disagree?

EsHrA
03-21-2006, 04:40 PM
nice vid, i will be making some weird renders soon :)

agree slipster70 and the ability to view aborted renders.

mlon

gumfx
03-21-2006, 04:42 PM
wrong post, pls delete

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 04:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.