PDA

View Full Version : Architectural Modeling

johnnyMac
12-17-2002, 07:57 PM
whaddup? here's my question. i am used to polygonal modeling but am debating if it's worth getting into nurbs. "why?" you ask. i live on the edge i guess. sometimes, i even sit too close to the tv. yeah, i'm just that crazy.

anyway, if anyone is into architectural modeling and has a preference lemme know. i work from autocad drawings and will be receiving some cad files from my client soon. i used to work in lightwave, 3dstudio, and formz (if you've heard of that) for modeling but am trying to do all modeling, texturing, and rendering in maya 4.5 for a change.

what about texturing nurbs surfaces (still one of life's great mysteries in my mind)? convert them to polygons and uv map? any comments and feedback you have would be sa-weeeeet.

i'm out.

ME3D
12-31-2002, 06:58 AM
Coming from max myself, I dont see any "real" advantages in using nurbs in architecture. If you need organics switch back and forth with SUB-D's to stay with the same relateive toolset.
Oh and if you havent found it yet I would mention....Dont import auto cad files or dxf\3ds into Maya. My little tip from buildings stadiums and cities. Maya file will never recover and become efficient after this type of import with out cleaning the maya binary file in the text editor( pain in the ass).
Good luck with it.
G

juanjgon
01-03-2003, 08:52 AM
I think that arch work could be made ussing polygonal and subd. surfaces .... no need of nurbs modelling at all. Lightwave modeler, using Polytrans to translate dxf files into it is the best tool in architecture, and Lightwave renderer is very good too. Perhaps better work in radiosity engine and native instance support are only things that LW need to be perfect.

You can see my gallery ... all work made 100% ussing LW.

Regards,

twilight
01-03-2003, 10:32 AM
I work in architectural vizualization for quite some time. I get the drawings from my clients in .dwg and use AutoCAD to do all the modeling.
I used to do the renderings in 3dsmax but the renderer is a bit poor so i'm using Cinema 4D now...

I have some examples on my website:

www.streetdogstudio.com

rootoftwo
01-03-2003, 12:27 PM
I've been using Nurbs in Rhino and am struggling to get to grips with polys in 3ds Max. Nurbs just make so much more sense to me. I think in terms of construction rather than modeling - if you know what I mean. For me, there's nothing simpler than importing an Autocad drawing, selecting and joining curves and extruding them to form the relevant volumes. Never used Maya - so can't comment on that.

swadepgh
01-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Nurbs can make a lot of architectural detail work easier than polys. Things like mouldings, railings, etc. are very quick with nurbs. If you are working with Autocand Architectural Desktop your best bet may be to utilize the 3d tools in the design and concept menus (walls, doors, stairs, etc). There are utilities to port autocad files to Maya. You could then use Maya to add the details or non-orthagonal aspects that autocad fails at. I use Maya most of the time now, however still use autocad to get the basics of an architectural model done because it is so quick.

Just my opinion. Hope it is helpful.

beaker
01-03-2003, 03:32 PM
>>what about texturing nurbs surfaces (still one of life's great mysteries in my mind)? convert them to polygons and uv map? any comments and feedback you have would be sa-weeeeet.

With nurbs you project all your textures. It's much faster than making uv maps on polygons.

Mauritius
01-05-2003, 01:24 AM
With nurbs you project all your textures. It's much faster than making uv maps on polygons.

Err, no. NURBS have implicit uv coordinates (that's why they are called "parametric surfaces" -- they have a u and a v parameter). I do architectural modeling a lot and we take advantage of this all the time to avoid e.g. projective texture mapping.

Projections btw. work equally well with any type of geometry -- may it be quadrics, parametric surfaces, polygons or subdivison surfaces. By no means is it harder to texture a polygon mesh than a NURBS surface using projections.

.mm

Undseth
01-11-2003, 05:39 AM
Mauritius:
Can you please elaborate about how you texture nurbs?

I enjoy modeling tech stuff, like airplanes, but the texturing part makes me converting the nurbs-surfaces into polygons for easy/apt texturing.

If you can handle nurbs texturing, please tell us how.

fabman
01-16-2003, 11:17 AM
there's some stuff that actually would be crazy to model without NURBS, take in example the Gughenhein museum in Bilbao, Spain. Too many curves and no the basic ones.
But yep!, for the basic box-building you should better go for poly modeling, more optimal and fast.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.