PDA

View Full Version : LightWave v9 Open Beta Update

Kurtis
03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Dear LightWavers,

I am very happy to report that the LightWave v9 Open Beta program we started one month ago has been a great success. We are on Open Beta build number 4 as of today and have made great headway in further improving and advancing the software based upon the feedback we received from the Open Beta team.

As was our desire, the Open Beta participants have given LightWave v9 a great workout, and helped to identify a few things that we had not managed to catch. Fortunately, we were able to quickly deal with most of the issues, but we still have a bit further to go. We want to make sure that we ship a strong, quality product, and as a result, we are going to take a few more weeks to really tighten things up.

Iím proud to say that LightWave v9 is truly the result of the combined efforts of NewTek development and the LightWave community. In the beginning, our first priority was your comments and requests as to how we could improve LightWave. Now, as we are nearing completion it is again your participation in testing and feedback that make this version of LightWave one of the best, most thoroughly tested ever.

The LightWave team is gratified to see the exciting things that our Open Beta participants are creating with the new features of LightWave v9, and we'll be sharing some of those with the community at large as examples in our videos, and images in our feature information pages on the website. The new shading models in the Node Editor, in particular, are helping folks create an amazing range of images, and participants are creating and sharing node networks with great enthusiasm and great results.

For those of you who have yet to take advantage of the Open Beta program, now is your chance. Each release gets better and faster. We have real world customer data that shows rendering improvements as much as 20 times faster than LightWave 8.5 in some scenes. Your experience will range from a small improvement to orders of magnitude depending upon what you are doing.

On behalf of the LightWave development team, thank you for all of your hard work to date. You are the critical link in making LightWave v9 the best upgrade ever.

Best regards,

Jay Roth
President NewTek 3D Division

monovich
03-14-2006, 06:53 PM
it's pretty much illegal for most people to reply to your post. :)

Kurtis
03-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Just a note to let everyone know that things are still moving ahead. :thumbsup:

DMack
03-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Hey! Did that 'Kurtis' chap, whoever he is, just break the NDA in the most blatant fashion! He is going to be in serious trouble when Kurtis finds out. Oh wait a minute.

duke
03-15-2006, 04:52 AM
Kurtis is going to break someones kneecaps

BazC
03-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Good news Kurtis, thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to LW9 going gold! :D

Jockomo
03-15-2006, 02:56 PM
I'd like to congratulate Newtek for doing an open beta. I think it greatly reduces the number of people complaining that the update is taking too long, since if you are chomping at the bit that much, you can join the beta. (especially those who have already paid for it).

At the same time it reduces the chance that, those of us who can't afford the time to beta test, will run into bugs on final release.
The lightwave community has always been willing to step in and help make the product better in any way they can. I really think it is great that Newtek is taking advantage of this resource.

<Pino>
03-15-2006, 03:34 PM
For those of you who have yet to take advantage of the Open Beta program, now is your chance. Each release gets better and faster. We have real world customer data that shows rendering improvements as much as 20 times faster than LightWave 8.5 in some scenes. Your experience will range from a small improvement to orders of magnitude depending upon what you are doing.

... some weeks ago there was rumoring here at cgtalk that some scenes take double time to render, is this true Kurtis? The threat was deletet, but now where you are talking about 20x faster I like to hear if that is true what that guy was talking about ...or have lightwave 9 in all scenes more render performance, up to 20x ?

digital verve
03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
... some weeks ago there was rumoring here at cgtalk that some scenes take double time to render, is this true Kurtis? The threat was deletet, but now where you are talking about 20x faster I like to hear if that is true what that guy was talking about ...or have lightwave 9 in all scenes more render performance, up to 20x ?

You have to remember that LW9 is still beta and those slower results on a particular scene if true were probably from a very early beta I presume. I would guess on final release that the renderer will be very optimized and depending on what you are rendering, you will see small rendering increases to massive 20x ones as Kurtis mentioned. I believe it says in the LW9 info on the Newtek site that the speed increases a lot more on complicated scenes, which imho is where the render speed improvements are needed anyway.

vid2k2
03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Just got a postcard in the mail with the upgrade offer to v9.

Is this the open beta version or will it be the gold ?

BTW, nice extras with the upgrade offer :)

BazC
03-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Just got a postcard in the mail with the upgrade offer to v9.

Is this the open beta version or will it be the gold ?

BTW, nice extras with the upgrade offer :)

The upgrade offer is for the fianl released version you'll also be eligible to join in the open beta though! - Baz

vid2k2
03-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks bazC,

I remember the Maxon Christmas card ... I'm mainly C4D
but have used LW a little for other stuff. Seems like features are catching up

BazC
03-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks bazC,

I remember the Maxon Christmas card ... I'm mainly C4D
but have used LW a little for other stuff. Seems like features are catching up

You're welcome! Yes I think Lightwave has dropped a little behind the other big names but it is catching up and is amazing value right now. - Baz

Kurtis
03-15-2006, 10:03 PM
You have to remember that LW9 is still beta and those slower results on a particular scene if true were probably from a very early beta I presume. I would guess on final release that the renderer will be very optimized and depending on what you are rendering, you will see small rendering increases to massive 20x ones as Kurtis mentioned. I believe it says in the LW9 info on the Newtek site that the speed increases a lot more on complicated scenes, which imho is where the render speed improvements are needed anyway.

This is correct. Speed increases are going to be largely based on the complexity of the scene, because a certain amount of time is eaten up by administrative (for lack of a better term) functions that must be performed. So, smaller scenes will not see the increases that larger scenes will. It's going to require a little experimentation on the part of the user to see what method works best for their particular scene.

Kurtis
03-15-2006, 10:05 PM
The upgrade offer is for the fianl released version you'll also be eligible to join in the open beta though! - Baz

This is correct. You will get the final version when it ships, and you'll get access to the open beta program for the remainder or its run in the meantime. And, of course, you also still get Vue 5 Infinite and LWCAD.

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 10:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.