PDA

View Full Version : ? about Paul Neal's Rigging DVDs

virtualmesh
03-14-2006, 02:16 PM
This question relates to the use of position contraint versus linking for the root bone within a squash bone affect.

In DVD#2, one position contrains both root and nub bone to their respective driving dummy objects but in DVD#3, one position contrains just the nub bone to it's driving dummy object and links the root bone to it's driving dummy object. Which is the better method ?

Background, a single joint bone (root and nub) 'squash effect' example with position constraints on both bones...

1. create two dummy objects located where the ends of the squash effect will originate, link (or position contrain) each of these two dummy objects to the bone(s) within the underlying skeleton that will drive the 'squash effect'.

2. position contrain the root bone (within the squash bone chain) to one dummy object and it's nub bone to the other dummy (this will disconnect the two bones)

3. Place a Look At constraint on the root bone pointing to it's nub bone (this will connect the two bones again)

4. Within the Look At contraint, set the upnode to be the dummy object position contrained to the root bone in step 2 above (this will twist the root bone based on the dummy object it is position contrained to).

5. Select the root bone and within the Bone Tools > Object Properties window, set the root bone to 'Squash' and click on Reset Stretch' button.

PEN
03-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Both work just fine. One reason that I might use the constraint is that I want to export the rig to a game engine and I don't want to include extra nodes in the hierarchy. If this is the case then go with the constraint root solution but if isn't then it doesnt really matter. I don't know why I did it differently in DVD #3 but that is great that you caught it.

What is comes down to is there are many ways to achieve the same results and it is best that you learn all of them and come up with a few of your own. Differences in the way you rig the same setup can some times solve or create problems further down the line. It is all about knowing what it best at any given point.

BakerCo
03-16-2006, 01:27 AM
little bit off topic but as far as the bundle goes I only get the 1, 2,and 3 and no option to bundle them much less the ability to purchase number 4 is it in the CG Acadamey store yet?

I hope that made sense :/ heh

Lost...

virtualmesh
03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
cg-academy sells the box set that posted at their web store, which includes all four dvds.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.