PDA

View Full Version : Swedish visual effects company bankruptcy.

Belltann
03-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Swedish visual effects company bankruptcy

The Swedish vfx company Farmland (www.farmland-pictures.se (http://www.farmland-pictures.se)) has gone bankrupt. Nine people has left the company prior to bankruptcy because of the poor management.

Here's a link to a local newspaper article in Swedish:
http://www.ttela.se/artikelmall.asp?version=87849

wurp
03-14-2006, 01:11 PM
too bad, it sais in the article that they will reconstruct the company and focus on commercials as well though..

there's a lot of talented people in sweden so its a shame that most of them has to move outside sweden to find good work...

Belltann
03-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Exactly. Im crossing my fingers for the swedish market though. Hopefully things will change until I graduate.

aki
03-14-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't think it will.
As far as I know, swedish movie budgets are still too low to have any significant visual fx and most highend commercials with CG are done in London.
I hope it will change as well though.

Your best bet to get a job after school is London or other places in Europe with bigger markets for CG. Not Sweden.

Cheers,
_aki
a.k.a Axel Akesson
Lighting TD @ Passion Pictures

koexistens
03-15-2006, 07:27 AM
It's too bad they crashed, I know some people there..

The market here in Sweden may, but I only say may, change soon with some new things going on. We'll see..

But I don't know. I work with product visualization and and tech movies, which seems to be the most exciting thing you can do here in Gothenburg. We have a green screen studio and motion control rigs if someone wants to put some feature work on us though.. :eek:

Anyway, I might be moving to Canada or London to get some more exciting work done soon.

Cheers,
Max

leach
03-15-2006, 12:56 PM
I use to know a guy who worked at a swedish CG house. They were working on futurama, anyone familiar with the company, cant remember the name myself.

-leach

koexistens
03-15-2006, 02:43 PM
I use to know a guy who worked at a swedish CG house. They were working on futurama, anyone familiar with the company, cant remember the name myself.

-leach

Hmm, don't know about that, but cool with Futurama in Sweden..!

Royal
03-16-2006, 04:12 PM
That's prolly UDS (went bankrupt in 2003?) a gamescompany in Gothenburg that worked on and released a futorama game.
Sad news this, hopefully they'll get back on their feet before soon tho.

RayenD
03-16-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't think it will.
As far as I know, swedish movie budgets are still too low to have any significant visual fx and most highend commercials with CG are done in London.

Your best bet to get a job after school is London or other places in Europe with bigger markets for CG. Not Sweden.

Cheers,
_aki
a.k.a Axel Akesson
Lighting TD @ Passion Pictures

Other places like London? :)

The reality is that so far if you want to do any higher end CG (whatever it would be, commercials or film) it is London or London or some other parts of UK or maybe a bit in France.
Of course there are studios here and there who pull off a nice short or something like that, but it's mostly driven and done by individuals working at those studios. Otherwise, most of work is tiny budget, silly deadlines, low-quality stuff.

Things change over time, but very slow.

koexistens
03-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Other places like London? :)

The reality is that so far if you want to do any higher end CG (whatever it would be, commercials or film) it is London or London or some other parts of UK or maybe a bit in France.
Of course there are studios here and there who pull off a nice short or something like that, but it's mostly driven and done by individuals working at those studios. Otherwise, most of work is tiny budget, silly deadlines, low-quality stuff.

Things change over time, but very slow.

Yeah, the sad truth... Too bad London is so expensive. And they put theri water lines OUTSIDE the walls on their houses, pure sillyness. Sorry all of you living in London if I offended you. :rolleyes:

Cheers

wurp
03-17-2006, 04:21 PM
and separate taps for hot and colt water, crappy flats, disgusting tube that makes your nose look like the exhaust of an old tractor, smog, tons of people etc etc etc

Yeah, the sad truth... Too bad London is so expensive. And they put theri water lines OUTSIDE the walls on their houses, pure sillyness. Sorry all of you living in London if I offended you. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rodi
03-17-2006, 05:13 PM
I like London:)

Digitalwool
03-18-2006, 07:05 AM
While this is unfortunate for sure, I think that the people who lost their jobs will probably come out ok. This is all theory since I know nothing about the company or the lost workers, but from what I've seen there's a whole lot of talent in Sweden that is first rate. Not to mention the fact that the English proficiency of many Swedes is very impressive. Being that English is currently the dominant language of CG and international business, there's lots of hope for them. I'm sure they feel bad now but in time it will probably work out for the best and they'll find something with better management or funding and make it work.

GrafOrlok
03-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't think it will.

Your best bet to get a job after school is London or other places in Europe with bigger markets for CG. Not Sweden.I don't agree. I've been working for Fido Film in Stockholm now for 3.5 years and I feel there is a certain feeling of breaking new ground and pioneering going on here. We are doing highend commercials for the UK market, we did the first digital main character in a motion picture a year back, and also digital make ups for the first vampire flic in Sweden. Sweden as a market might be a bit behind, but it is getting there. Fido is also a very exciting company since we basicly are the only ones here focusing on character development for films and commercials. We are the only company in Scandinavia doing both physical and digital effects, with a large workshop were designs and puppets are made as well as a large digital department for all digital effects. And for the last 4 years the company has grown tremendously, expanding outside the borders of Sweden...

Sweden might have been a dead market a few years back, but not anymore. And I am having a ball!

Belltann
03-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Sweden might have been a dead market a few years back, but not anymore. And I am having a ball!

Thats great to hear mon. :)

He he Maby Ill toss a couple of showreels your way next year. ;)

koexistens
03-20-2006, 01:01 PM
While this is unfortunate for sure, I think that the people who lost their jobs will probably come out ok. This is all theory since I know nothing about the company or the lost workers, but from what I've seen there's a whole lot of talent in Sweden that is first rate. Not to mention the fact that the English proficiency of many Swedes is very impressive. Being that English is currently the dominant language of CG and international business, there's lots of hope for them. I'm sure they feel bad now but in time it will probably work out for the best and they'll find something with better management or funding and make it work.

Yup, that is all true. I even think there was a reformation of the company's left overs to start it up again. Most of the employees are back on the track of what I know..

/Max

fr3drik
03-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Yup, that is all true. I even think there was a reformation of the company's left overs to start it up again. Most of the employees are back on the track of what I know..

/Max

Actually, some of us have started up a new company here in Gothenburg ...and it's called Filmgate! :buttrock: Not much of a website just yet. ;)

koexistens
03-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Actually, some of us have started up a new company here in Gothenburg ...and it's called Filmgate! :buttrock: Not much of a website just yet. ;)

Oh, nice.. Will have to check your website anyway. Maybe we meet sometime..

Take care,
/Max

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 12:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.