PDA

View Full Version : Fprime or Pim?

Johnny9ball
03-14-2006, 10:04 AM
I am torn between getting Fprime now or wait for Poetry in motion? Should I get Fprime or wait for Pim?

Zardoz
03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
it's two completely different things, Johnny9ball

it depends on what you want/need

if you're into interactive content, 3d for web, games, etc...Pim is your thing
fprime is a real time previewer for your final render and a render engine, that can help you get your results faster because when it renders it saves your frames progressively so you can check from time to time if everything is ok.

Wout
03-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Hey,

As Zardoz allready mentioned, it really depends on what it is you need most. Interactivity, previewing of high poly scenes, creating 3d content for the web or just a game,
or
final off line rendering .
Two very different ways of rendering graphics;PIM is a realtime renderer and relies heavily on your video card whereas Fprime is heavily CPU bound.

habaņero
03-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Also, now might not be the best time to buy Fprime. Wait for the new version that'll probably be released alongside LW9s final release. There is sometimes a rebate on Worley goods the first couple weeks.

IC12
03-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Weighing up the tiny price of FPrime and what you get for that money makes it a no brainer.

adrencg
03-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Weighing up the tiny price of FPrime and what you get for that money makes it a no brainer.

Fprime has toatlly changed the way I work and I can never go back again.

My work looks better and I work about 10 times faster(no waiting for test renders). In some cases(when using radiosity and area lights, even faster)

It also does my dishes.

Mike

Johnny9ball
03-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Is Pim a realtime renderer like Fprime? Hummm..... I think I am more confused. To me right now it seams Pim can do almost everything Fprime can but more. Can you use Pim to preview and tweak your renders like Fprime?

PetterSundnes
03-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Is Pim a realtime renderer like Fprime? Hummm..... I think I am more confused. To me right now it seams Pim can do almost everything Fprime can but more. Can you use Pim to preview and tweak your renders like Fprime?

No, PIM is a realtime OpenGL graphics engine -> similar to ShockWave3D/Torque/Unreal and so on, its not a "renderer" like fPrime or LightWave's own renderer. But it can save what you see in the engine as images, but its not a traditional renderer and use the capabilities of the graphics card to produce its visuals. Animated characters have to be set up with weightmaps and it needs shaders to be able to show any special materials such as reflecting surfaces and so on. Think of it as a scriptable game engine that can be used to produce image sequences as well.

Johnny9ball
03-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Ok now I understand better. Thanks! F-prime here I come. =)

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2006, 04:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.