PDA

View Full Version : How to Model These Squiggly "Veins"

rickmorgan
03-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I saw this image on Hybrid Medical Animation's web site (super-awesome medical animation by the way) and was wondering how the heck would you model all of these squiggly veins wrapped around this odd shaped object??? I believe that they use C4D to do their animations. I am currently a LightWave user but if this was done in C4D I am very curious as to how (or generally how).

Thanks

(see top-left image)

http://www.hybridmedicalanimation.c...m_abraxane.html (http://www.hybridmedicalanimation.com/anim_abraxane.html)

AdamT
03-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Do you have a link?

rickmorgan
03-14-2006, 03:02 AM
It's there, just hard to see. Here it is again:

http://www.hybridmedicalanimation.com/anim_abraxane.html

bobtronic
03-14-2006, 03:17 AM
Do you have a link?

http://www.hybridmedicalanimation.com/anim_abraxane.html

it was a bit hidden in his post :)

Bob

ernia
03-14-2006, 03:19 AM
If we are thinking of the same image, I believe they used DPIT nature plugin for that. It has a function where it "grows" splines.

ernia

AdamT
03-14-2006, 03:23 AM
If we are thinking of the same image, I believe they used DPIT nature plugin for that. It has a function where it "grows" splines.

ernia
Probably right. Xfrog can do the same. Or you could project splines and use crumple.

4dthieves
03-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Actually, if you look closely at the thin veins it appears that they're textures. It looks like a little bump reveals itself from the camera falloff when it zooms in. That just leaves the large veins which could easily be done by hand quickly with no plugins at all.

flingster
03-14-2006, 02:12 PM
you could draw the splines in something like illustrator and then project them on the surface using core or something like ditools...and then use splinepacks eva head position to animate the growth..or maybe even animate the growth with the sweep nurb...can do it native c4d imo.

ernia
03-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, I don't think this clip would be in the dpit animation gallery if Hybrid didn't use dpit in its creation.

www.dpit2.de

gallery, animation, upper right corner

ernia

rickmorgan
03-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks ernia!

Well, I think that pretty much answers it! Much appreciated for all of your responses to this as I was very curious.

So now I need to see if there is something comparable for LightWave...

Thanks Again!

flingster
03-14-2006, 02:32 PM
jeez...4dthieves and ernia you guys have some good eyes.

flingster
03-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks ernia!

Well, I think that pretty much answers it! Much appreciated for all of your responses to this as I was very curious.

So now I need to see if there is something comparable for LightWave...

Thanks Again!

really you need a tree or spline type app/plugin any you should be able to do it because of the L-system in them.

mdunakin
03-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Flingster, any particular suggestions that you could recommend?

I have a few of my own thoughts on this issue with the viens,
but always like to see what others think?

Thanx............md :)

JoelOtron
03-15-2006, 12:00 AM
If you have CPT, you can use the particle tracer option and use the TP move on surface preset (among other options) to do this sort of thing--with a LOT of tweaking.

I would also think Xfrog and DPIT---as the others mentioned---would be the best route.

JoelOtron
03-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Heres a very crude example using CPT. Not much squiggle happenning --but with some work that can be done. Im using the TP spline emitter preset here. Adding another spline emitter targetting the particle tracer (CPT generated spline) could give you branching from the vessels you see here in the sample anim below--but that will take some work too.

MOVIE (http://www.betatronstudios.com/pf2/growingveinssor.mov)

mdunakin
03-15-2006, 01:59 AM
Ok, that's a pretty good example and I could very well see tht working to get the job done.
My only question, which is probably lame, but...) what exactly is CPT?
And when I was asking about other options, I was actually prefering
other options that would work for LW, as those other two options,
the DPIT and the xFrog are probably excessive for my needs.
Well, it's more like this:
DPIT works ONLY with C4D (which I don't have) and xFrog seems
like it's a bit expensive for just making growing viens style of things.

Is this CPT thing a LW plugin?
Or a C4D plugin?
Or ...?

Thanx and I have already downloaded the xFrog demo, just because I was
interested in seeing how it was with creating plants, but so far it looks very intimidating.

Anyway, I like your first sample there and I hope I'll be able to get to do the same things too? :)

......................md :)

JoelOtron
03-15-2006, 02:12 AM
CPT=Core Particle Tools. Its no longer available--but threw it out there in case you owned it already. In the example I posted--I am using thinking particles to emit particles from a spline. the particle paths are traced and turned into splines via CPT which in turn can be put into a sweep nurb object to give it geometry. The sweep nurbs are scaled to taper to 0 at the end of each spline.

Have no idea about LW. DPIT is a Tree/Nature plugin for c4d only. Xfrog plugs into c4d and other 3d apps. Dont know if it works with LW.

mdunakin
03-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Hmmm... thanx, this is some good info, eithe way :)

Now I guess my next question (I'm sure I come off as a bit naive, but..)
what exactly is and how can I use or impliment a "sweep nurb object" ?

What exactly is that?
Is that some thing that lets you take lots of splines and all at the same time, make them
have polygons attatched to them and then rail extruded along each spline or something like that?
I know how to do one spline extrude deal at a time, but no clue about multiple splines at once?

Thanx very much for your time and patients as well with me on this.
I just haven't heard of some of these things or not enough as I'd like.
And now that I'm getting more into these areas of creations,
I'm finding I need to larn more about them.

..................md :)

JoelOtron
03-15-2006, 02:53 AM
Sweep nurbs is what you use to extrude a spline shape along another spline.
So if theres a comparable tool/command in LW-than thats it. Sounds like the cpt route is probably a bit advanced for your knowledge.

Play with Xfrog. It grows branching animatable tubes. Its not going to be a push button sort of thing--will take some learning--but thats probably your best bet for blood vessels.

You should look into what options are available in LW too.

JoelOtron
03-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Did a search on L-systems and Light wave and apparently theres a plugin called Germinator that might help you.

http://www.flay.com/getnewsdetail.cfm?ID=1263

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=191027&page=4&pp=15

There may be other LW plugs--dont know.

mdunakin
03-15-2006, 04:05 AM
Sounds like the cpt route is probably a bit advanced for your knowledge.
I think it's not nessisarily my knowlege on this issue, as much as the terms I'm hearing, is all :)
I'm brighter then I appear, in otherwords, if that's what you were getting at? :)
I'm also just now really having a need for these sorts of things, where I didn't in the past.
And, I'm a pretty fast learning, and am willing to give anything new a try and see how it fares.

And thanx tons for these links, I'll go there staight away and check them out right now.
I'll be back with any results of any cool things I come up with, if I do.

If you make anymore cool animations of this stuff, please post them up, if you can?
Thanx!

.....................md :)

JoelOtron
03-15-2006, 04:10 AM
Sounds like the cpt route is probably a bit advanced for your CURRENT knowledge.

...of cinema 4d. (is what I meant)

Of course I didnt mean to imply you werent intelligent. :)

mdunakin
03-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Thanx, I didn't think you were :)
Just wanted to make sure that you understand, that I won't mind if I "do" have
to learn how to use a program that isn't as much fun to learn or use, as I might like.
Because yes, I would rather have a button click program to use, if I had the choice :)

I have to say, that so far, from reading through that awesome thread, that that
plugin looks like it's pretty awesome, and it does all sorts of cool tricks,
though I still haven't got to actually install it and try it out yet.
Working on several things right now, including all this reading
in three different forums on the same subject LOL

I am trying to help someone else out as well, so I'm looking at this for more then myself.

I do medical work with my animation partner and having this kind of abillity
to create growing and pulsating blood viens would be a great edition for us both.

Thanx!
.......................md :)

Medicine Horse
03-15-2006, 03:02 PM
DPIT is my weapon of choice for vessels.

-M

Rantin Al
03-15-2006, 03:44 PM
really you need a tree or spline type app/plugin any you should be able to do it because of the L-system in them.

Would (Tobias Gentl's) OBAN be of any use for something thing like this?
I was just thinking of his tree tutorial.

Cheers, Al.

mdunakin
03-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Do you have a link to that tutorial?

BTW, I like your "Heeeerrre's Jonny!" avatar :)

.............md :)

Rantin Al
03-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Rather fetching, isn't it. :eek:

The OBAN Tree link is up in the Xpresso/ scripting sub forum.

(C)heeeeers Al. :scream:

flingster
03-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Would (Tobias Gentl's) OBAN be of any use for something thing like this?
I was just thinking of his tree tutorial.

Cheers, Al.

not sure to be honest..given the work he put in and some of his result..if it can't at the moment wouldn't surprise me if he added it..ask him.

Rantin Al
03-16-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm still playing with the basic OBAN and just threw this in as a potential bone for you lot to chew over. :)
Samples welcome. ;)

Cheers, Al.

mdunakin
03-16-2006, 11:56 PM
I can't get that link to work.
Is there something I need to delete from or do to get it to work for me?
I tried a few things, like deleting the first part of that,
since it came up with doubel the same http:// deal.
Or do I need to be registered to some forum thingy or anything like that?

Thanx................md :)

JoelOtron
03-17-2006, 12:50 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=321109

I'm not sure--but dont think Oban will be helpful for blood vessels. In the tree example--I believe he builds the trunk and branches manually then uses Oban to place the leaves. It reminds me a lt of DiCloner in Ditools.

Rantin Al
03-17-2006, 07:24 AM
@JoelD, thankyou, that saves me burning out brain cells on a lost cause. :)

@MD. I don't know why the link will not work. Just go to the sub-forum (top section of the main forum) and find the OBAN 1.0 thread.

Cheers, Al.

mdunakin
03-17-2006, 07:51 AM
It didn't work, because the first time it was posted up it was wrong.

The second time it was posted up it worked fine.

I've already been there and checked it out.

And thanx...............md :)

howzit
03-20-2006, 03:01 AM
Heres a very crude example using CPT. Not much squiggle happenning --but with some work that can be done. Im using the TP spline emitter preset here. Adding another spline emitter targetting the particle tracer (CPT generated spline) could give you branching from the vessels you see here in the sample anim below--but that will take some work too.

MOVIE (http://www.betatronstudios.com/pf2/growingveinssor.mov)

JoelD, would you happen to have this file available?

JoelOtron
03-20-2006, 04:11 AM
I'll have access to it again later in the week. I'll post it when I'm able.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2006, 04:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.