PDA

View Full Version : CG CAST 18 - Roberto Ortiz Interviewed

archerx
03-13-2006, 08:41 PM
It's been a while since I've done an interview and this time I got some one really cool, our very own Roberto Ortiz, He has a lot to share, but it seemed as if everything consipired against this show.... Skype was being horribly bad to us, it kind of recorded weird and audacity messed up while I was editing it last night, but none the less I managed to get it out for all of you! (ok I'm being dramatic now :p )

www.cgcast.com (http://www.cgcast.com) enjoy as always and don't forget to join the chat ;)

Canadianboy
03-13-2006, 08:52 PM
downloading right now! ill tell you how it was later.

Simon
03-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Great stuff!

Good points Roberto. :)

Sorry I didn't join you guys.

Otagon
03-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Interesting commentary :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Tom

jason500
03-13-2006, 11:31 PM
enjoyed the show.

Keep up the good work archer.

archerx
03-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Glad you guys are enjoying the show :)

RobertoOrtiz
03-14-2006, 07:01 AM
Moved the thread to news.. (What the hell)

It is amazing how much ranting a man can do after a couple of beers...

:)

-R

LoTekK
03-14-2006, 09:26 AM
It is amazing how much ranting a man can do after a couple of beers...

:)
In the months that I knew you, I don't recall you ever needing any beer to rant. :D

Downloading the ep now. :p

jason500
03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Suggestion:

On some of the shows, when you want to know something or there is something left to discuss, you ask people to email you.

I think it's probably a better idea to get the people to post the answers on your cgcast thread for that episode, that way it encourages others to talk about it, and maybe expand on it.

nitindesign
03-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Two words came to my mind when Roberto's voice went up --> Tony Montana :) (I truely enjoyed it)

LoTekK
03-14-2006, 02:37 PM
']Two words came to my mind when Roberto's voice went up --> Tony Montana :) (I truely enjoyed it)
LOL! But Roberto doesn't say "Mang". :D

Neil
03-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Suggestion, I was confused because I kept clicking everywhere on the landing page trying to download the interview, only to find out you have to click on the download page. Why not make the news updates links themselves or atleast redirects to the download page.

Ok, off to downloading...

archerx
03-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Suggestion, I was confused because I kept clicking everywhere on the landing page trying to download the interview, only to find out you have to click on the download page. Why not make the news updates links themselves or atleast redirects to the download page.

Ok, off to downloading...

Done! with the wonderful help of Ruben :)

amannin
03-14-2006, 07:22 PM
where was the forum before the news section?

this is a great find, don't think i would have found it otherwise...

enygma
03-14-2006, 09:04 PM
So does this mean I get to post my podcast updates in the CG News forum, or do I have to interview someone special for that priviledge? :D

RobertoOrtiz
03-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Political contributions to my party will do enygma!

-R

Rebeccak
03-14-2006, 10:29 PM
LMAO, "Thanks Leee, En~eye~la, Rebecca Keeemel"

:D

Totally kidding Roberto, you did an awesome job! :)

Simon
03-14-2006, 10:31 PM

Totally kidding Roberto, you did an awesome job! :)

ICENBPBOALMAO

PaulAdams
03-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey, this is fantastic! Why I am only discovering this now I have no idea.
Allot of valid points Roberto, good chat. The presenter is hilarious, episode 17 had me in stiches ("The iPod can goto hell!"), he's forever quotable! Hah.

Makes me wish I knew some CG Artists in reallife so I could have these kind of chats over a few beers.

Rebeccak
03-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 99sproth: ICENBPBOALMAO
Oh no...not acronym revenge!!! :eek:

Do tell. :)

RobertoOrtiz
03-14-2006, 10:35 PM
ICENBPBOALMAO

I feel like I have been insulted in Gaellic.

And Rebecca, the funny thing is that I forgot to thank my 3rd grade homeroom teacher
and my Dog.

Becca you are evil! Eeevil I tell you!
You guys got lucky I had one of my "moderate" accent days.

-R

Simon
03-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Oh no...not acronym revenge!!! :eek:

Do tell. :)

Lol its an acronym I came up with while discussing your obscene amount of posts on the acronym thread actually.. lol.

I can express nothing but puzzlement bordering on alarm... whilst laughing my ass off

Rebeccak
03-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Roberto: Becca you are evil! Eeevil I tell you!
You guys got lucky I had one of my "moderate" accent days.
Is there a rating system? Like a smog alert? :D ;) Sorry...it's the evil speaking...not me! :)

And Rebecca, the funny thing is that I forgot to thank my 3rd grade homeroom teacher and my Dog.
Yeah, Chuck Norris called, he's pissed. :)

Originally posted by 99sproth: Lol its an acronym I came up with while discussing your obscene amount of posts on the acronym thread actually.. lol.

I can express nothing but puzzlement bordering on alarm... whilst laughing my ass off
Wow, you know it's bad when people talk about you and you don't even know it...:D ;)

RobertoOrtiz
03-15-2006, 02:24 AM
Is there a rating system? Like a smog alert? :D ;) Sorry...it's the evil speaking...not me! :)

Rebecca, just stay were you are, a local priest has been contacted.

-R

erilaz
03-15-2006, 02:50 AM
Rebecca, just stay were you are, a local priest has been contacted.

-R

It won't work... she has monkeys. Powerful monkeys.

Beamtracer
03-15-2006, 03:00 AM
http://www.cgcast.com/news_pics/13_03_2006.gif
Roberto, is your avatar a self portrait? Is that you? :)

LoTekK
03-15-2006, 04:55 AM
It won't work... she has monkeys. Powerful monkeys.
You called?

Rebeccak
03-15-2006, 04:57 AM
Oh look, the gang's all here! :)

Martin, I'm sorry I'm so mean to Roberto. He really is a dear. But...it's just...so...much...fun...to...torture...him...:D

Also, I have to make up for the fact that his brain power is just exponentially larger than that of most individuals' ;)

LoTekK
03-15-2006, 05:11 AM
I'm sorry I'm so mean to Roberto
No you're not. :D

erilaz
03-15-2006, 05:20 AM
I think this thread is getting hijacked by crazy people. :) Back to the topic at hand... I will download the awesome Roberto interview tonight, and listen with intense rapture.

Rebeccak
03-15-2006, 05:27 AM
By the way, Roberto, it's awesome that you've gone into business for yourself. Why not explain a bit more about what you're doing with your new company?

/Connie Chung mode. :)

Bonedaddy
03-15-2006, 05:36 AM
Roberto, you mentioned me!! Aww, thank you! I know my comic's art is pretty crude, but hey, whatcha gonna do. ;)

Your usage of the term "black hat" kind of... confuses me. Black hat usually means an evil hacker, I thought. Maybe I'm wrong?

And I would take issue with the idea that you can't do effects on miniDV stuff. It can be done. I did a 100+ shot short film with fully CG sets my sophomore year in college. It's doable, but what's difficult is actually figuring out the pipeline.

I agree that the lack of filmmaking experience among CG guys is kind of astonishing. Stuff I take for granted is a dark art to some people who were just weaned on Lightwave or something.

And yes, Roberto, how do you feel about the plight of Somalian children in today's society?

</Peter Jennings>

RobertoOrtiz
03-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Oh good God I am not going to hear the end of this arent I bonedaddy...
This is the last time I do a podcast drunk.

/Connie Chung mode. :)

Well Connie we are going after niche markets.
Becuase i do so much freelance graphics work, I have been able to
make a lot of contacts.
The idea is to develop scalable apps that can be used on
Restaurants, Shipping companies etc.

The idea is to do apps for them that can be used day by day by their enterprise.
But the cool thing is that we are planning to get very creative in the presentation of data.
It was doing that, or doing wild monkey wrangling for the Zoo.

-R

LoTekK
03-15-2006, 07:17 AM
It was doing that, or doing wild monkey wrangling for the Zoo.
Dammit people, quit talking about me behind my back. :curious:

Roberto, sounds like pretty exciting times ahead for you. I'd love to hear more about that, sounds intriguing. :)

ps. You didn't sound very drunk at all. Sounds just like old times with the ridiculous debates and discussions we used to get into. :D

Cyborgguineapig
03-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Inspiring, good points. Thanks for the interview:thumbsup: I'll admit, Cgtalk does intimidate me. I'm afraid to show my stuff because I know it is not like some of the stuff posted on here but your interview reminds me that Cgtalk is a place for learning. I think a lot of people forget that. Thank you.

archerx
03-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm really glad you guys are enjoying the show, that makes me happy :)

Phrenzy84
03-16-2006, 11:33 AM
i love listening to music while i work, but these podcasts give more more inspiration while im working. almost like having my own radio show i interlace music file with them :).

Great interview Rob, the audio got a little messed up at the end, so i was wondering what was the name of the film you were talking about the stick figures? I think i might have seen it before but im not quite sure, and also what is the site with your work on it. I couldnt make it out.

cheers, looking forward to next episode.

LoTekK
03-16-2006, 11:59 AM
90 Degrees Site (http://www.90degrees.fr/)
90 Degrees Short (http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_player.php?reel=PdnyzcDdVK&reel_file=wKWdtCShjv&fs=1)

As for Roberto's website, as I recall, he's been talking about that for years now (I think you can do a search on CGTalk and find his thread from ages ago). He still hasn't got it up. Slacker. :D

pisano
03-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Wise words, i have just discovered CGcast.com and this interview made it look as if i'll be tunning in for any forthcoming episodes for sure. I really agree with that side of him that cycles round his trait of everlasting interest in anything, it is unfortunate that we spend such a short life in this large universe so it really makes sense to go about every inch of it with interest.

Ironically its death that triggers one's inhibitions to live, that's how i discovered my taste for interest.

I also admired how he respects the term "artist" I know alot of people who seem to lack any true definition round this persona, how could you call yourelf an artist just because you know how to draw, drawing is a universal skill I think, its lack of practise that will diminish ones skill lack of talent is only a false excuse.

Also, could you post the name of that stick figure animation you mentioned, i couldn;t understand it taht clearly. (or is that 90degree post related to it?)

CG enthusiast, forever art newbie.

RobertoOrtiz
03-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys for the kind comments.

The short I was talking about in the podcast can be seen on this link:

http://www.cube-creative.fr/html/nt/nt_lc/akoa.html

It one of the best shorts I have ever seen and it is done with stick figures!

-R

Simon
03-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys for the kind comments.

The short I was talking about in the podcast can be seen on this link:

http://www.cube-creative.fr/html/nt/nt_lc/akoa.html

It one of the best shorts I have ever seen and it is done with stick figures!

-R

ahh thats what you were talking about. That short is great, its pretty old now, but so true..

Mu
03-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I am just listening to it...

"All the people out there...I am very open for criticizm and input. I'll ban you. But I'll take the input..."

:scream:

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2006, 04:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.