PDA

View Full Version : Think Tank - A New Vancouver Animation School

ThinkTank
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
http://www.tttc.ca/WEBSPACE/skytrain_banner_web.jpg[/url]

Hey CGtalkers, we’d just like to introduce to everyone a relatively new choice In CG training. The school is called Think Tank Training Centre (http://www.tttc.ca/WEBSPACE/skytrain_banner_web.jpg), and it’s located in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Think Tank’s entire structure and curriculum is designed to prepare students for a seamless transition into the industry. Think Tank (http://www.tttc.ca/) only hires top industry professionals and mentors, ensuring the most relavent and up to date material is taught.

Unlike some of its competitors, Think Tank’s class sizes are limited to 8 students, with dedicated work stations for each student. This means no one will ever be in your seat, and you can plan your own schedule… when you want to work outside of class, your work station will be waiting for you, 24 hours a day.

http://www.tttc.ca/WEBSPACE/2nd_lab_web.jpg

Another interesting aspect to [url="http://www.tttc.ca/"]Think Tank (http://www.tttc.ca/WEBSPACE/2nd_lab_web.jpg) is the way the curriculum is integrated. Each instructor works towards a common goal, with assignment resources being utilized by multiple instructors thus eliminating redundant work. Think Tank teaches the latest software platforms including, Maya, XSI, Lightwave, Zbrush, and all the adobe products… with the focus on the methods and principles, not the software. Students also study the fundamentals of classical animation, Life drawing, and Sculpture, as well as a foundation in career management.

Mentors… because the focus of Think Tank is post graduation job placement, Students not only decide what field they would like to work in, but must focus on a specific studio that represents their “ultimate choice in employment”. Once students have proposed their demo reel idea to our board of industry critics, and approval is given, they embark on the last chapter of their Think Tank experience. But they are not alone in this endeavor. Once students have made this pivotal decision, mentors from the field and often the very company they have chosen, are provided to mentor them through the demo reel process. This supplies students with current industry feedback as well as the building of contacts so necessary in this relatively small community of artists.

At Think Tank, you’ll notice it doesn’t have the feel of an average animation school… that’s because it isn’t. Think Tank is run more like an animation studio than a training centre, with everyone striving for one common goal…. getting you that first job in the industry. Once you’ve got that first job…. we’ve done our job.

Check out our website for more information at www.tttc.ca (http://www.tttc.ca/)

P.S. A special thanks to all of you who donated work to hang on our walls… inspiration is an important part of the training experience.

QuantumPixel
03-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Seems like you guys are doing everything right. I cant wait to see some finished student works. I like the fact that your school isnt like all the others in a sence were they all feel like a gient mechien cherning out students who are often clueless on what the next steps should be. keep up the good work.

Matt.b

BlackNull
03-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Can't wait to come check out the school when i get to van, I'm so excited! The location is awesome, the school looks very well organized and having been tought by some of the instructors there, i know from experience it will be passionate, focused classes.

Sweet guys!

best wishes for the future.

Pierre

P.Alexander
03-13-2006, 08:49 PM
looks very professional and dedicated, really.. impressive.

Heber
03-14-2006, 04:23 AM
Good to see you guys all setup and running, i know its been alot of hard work and time put into this school. Everything looks great and the faculty are topnotch! cant wait to see the first class of students. Cheers.

foxco
03-17-2006, 12:10 AM
I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit the school several times over their first ever semester and i would like to share my thoughts about what I have seen from the school.

If there is one thing different about this school, its the two guys behind the show. The two owners are also instructors there and I have never seen two people do so much and go so far out of their way for the students. Having been taught by these guys back when i was in school, I can say for certain that an excellent and fun education will come out of their classes.

On top of what they do day to day for the classes/students, they have really developed and setup a solid curriculum with exemplary Instructors. There is no Overlap or learning the same thing twice and your being trained by some seriously brilliant industry professionals.

Kudos guys, many artists Ive talked to, all agree that Think Tank simply has the right idea how to treat and teach students for this industry.

-fox

maestrofreshal
03-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Wassup everyone...I am a student currently at Think Tank. Talk about quality instruction. Here is a still we made for our final project after our first semester. Its a character Joe our instructor designed. We modelled it, rigged it, weighted it, posed it, textured it, rendered it, and composited it (I used 4 passes. Occlusion, beauty, toon rim, and background.) Check out the picture here

http://www.chadleefox.com/ForumPosts/al_final.jpg

so ya...the school is rockin. Best of all, the classes are small and the teachers are AMAZING!! so that equals lots of one on one with top industry pros. I love it.

kurv
03-17-2006, 05:25 PM
It's good to see Nick Boughen finally doing something constructive.... ;)

FlexibleHorse
03-17-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm a student from think tank. This is the first real image i've produced at school.

http://www.tttc.ca/WEBSPACE/slam%20tree%20guysmall.jpg

i know it's got some problems, but i'm full of excuses why. anyway i totally had fun makin' it. the design is simple. but it was a nice assignment for runnin' through the whole process of modelling, rigging, posing, unwrapping, texturing, lighting and rendering seperate passes. then comping it all together.
like i said it's the first image i really feel confident enough to post. i finished it about 3 and a half months into the first semester of the program. i've never touched a 3d program before, and i'm kinda pushin' for the school cause it was a pretty low stress process getting to this point. Everything's pretty casual here. I got my own desk and computer. So i work as much as i want. the schools open pretty much all the time. and when i get the sickness from sitting in front of the computer too much. i wander off to the theatre room and watch a movie, or jam out on somebody's guitar that's down there, or go across the street to the market that has like 20 restaraunts and junk...
it's a pretty awesome experience.
I know i sound like a meathead, but i like going to school everyday. it's fun man.

LOR
03-21-2006, 12:27 AM
It's good to see Nick Boughen finally doing something constructive.... ;)

Hey! Thanks Wes. (you suck) ;)

Seriously though, it's a great school, owned and led by industry pros. I'm honored to be teaching there.

lor

ThinkTank
03-24-2006, 04:25 AM
Hey! Thanks Wes. (you suck) ;)

Seriously though, it's a great school, owned and led by industry pros. I'm honored to be teaching there.

lor

and we are glad to have you here. Your lighting classes and lessons are exemplary!

-Think Tank

Zoox
04-01-2006, 05:03 AM
hello,
I must say I really love how this school is sounding, I'm putting together my stuff to send to them (or you guy's if any one from Think Tank is reading this). and I must say, i've been talking via email to Joe at think tank about the school and questions I had and he was and is still very quick to respond. and alway's explained it all very well. so ya my impressions so far have been great!!

Reo
04-02-2006, 10:33 AM
wonderful news for to hear Scott and Joe, I'll head over to the site and look around.

whalerider
04-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Looks like TT has assembled a solid crew. I like the fact that there is a career management class. The schedule looks overloaded though - seems like they are covering a ton of subjects the first 2 semesters (30 weeks total).

MarGera
04-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey everyone

I found this school the other day on the net and i have to say it looks excellent, i got a quick link on my Firefox browser:wip:

I am hopefully getting back out to Van in september, and i wondered if it is ok to have abit of a tour, what is the best way of going about this?
I love the whole concept that you have going on, i visited VFS last year, but there is somthing holding me back from going, and i think i have found why now:wavey:

The best thing is, is my friends live about 4 mins from Lonsdale Quay, she is on 3rd, so travel won't be a problem. So i can put in some mad hours, look at me getting a head of myself!:blush:

bale
04-05-2006, 01:04 AM
man where was this school two yrs ago:( It has one of my fav comic book artist...Kaare Andrews!!!

ThinkTank
04-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Hey gang,

Think Tank would like to welcome Kolby Jukes into our faculty! Kolby has joined us recently to teach our Zbrush classes. Welcome To Think Tank, Kolby.

_ _ _ _ _ _

Looks like TT has assembled a solid crew. I like the fact that there is a career management class. The schedule looks overloaded though - seems like they are covering a ton of subjects the first 2 semesters (30 weeks total).

Yes it is true that the students have lots of classes in their first 2 semester, but we keep the work load in mind. Many of the classes work together, so one assignment can cover multiple classes with each class focusing on a specific task. The larger part of the Students work load begins in Mid second semester, where they will decide what type of demo to work on and begin the early stages of building a demo reel.

Hey everyone

I found this school the other day on the net and i have to say it looks excellent, i got a quick link on my Firefox browser:wip:

I am hopefully getting back out to Van in september, and i wondered if it is ok to have abit of a tour, what is the best way of going about this?
I love the whole concept that you have going on, i visited VFS last year, but there is somthing holding me back from going, and i think i have found why now:wavey:

The best thing is, is my friends live about 4 mins from Lonsdale Quay, she is on 3rd, so travel won't be a problem. So i can put in some mad hours, look at me getting a head of myself!:blush:

Hey marGera,

If you are interested in coming by for a tour when you are back in Vancouver, please fill out the form in our Contact Us Page (http://tttc.ca/CONTACT_D.html). We will contact you shortly afterwards about all your questions, except the meaning of life... this one has beaten us.. for now ;)

Think Tank

KolbyJukes
04-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Hey gang,
Think Tank would like to welcome Kolby Jukes into our faculty! Kolby has joined us recently to teach our Zbrush classes. Welcome To Think Tank, Kolby.

Thanks for the welcome, Think Tank is a very innovative, one-of-a-kind school, I'm proud to be part of the faculty.

-K.

maestrofreshal
04-07-2006, 06:40 PM
wassup yall...im a 2nd semester student at think tank...i must say, it is pretty intense. they have it so well organized you dont even notice that you have so many different classes; they set it up so they all coincide. the best part is the effort that they put into getting TOP quality instructors, and the effort they put into focusing you on your demo reel and the area of CG you want to work in.

RobertMiller
04-07-2006, 07:40 PM
It is wonderful to hear about another school in Vancouver; Vancouver certainly seems to be a popular home for animation and entertainment companies: EA, Mainframe, Radical, and many more. A question of curiousity: does Think Tank Training Centre cover motion capture or, if not, will it be covered in the future?

Regards,

Robert

TomGodfrey
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Hi members, this is my first post and I really just want to thank Scott for attempting to help a complete stranger in far off Africa, to get into a graphics school in Australia. It seems however, that there is only one "Think Tank" and from what I've read that is a pity. So you guys who are lucky enough to benefit from commited teachers who are passionate about their subject, enjoy and soak up as much knowledge as you can. I am learning the hard way by trial and error. I have a few pics submitted for D'artist's latest book and I'm holding thumbs. I use Painter IX -still very new to all this - I have come through the more traditional painting and sketching school.

See you all in cyberspace sometime

Sebastian

ThinkTank
04-11-2006, 12:09 AM
It is wonderful to hear about another school in Vancouver; Vancouver certainly seems to be a popular home for animation and entertainment companies: EA, Mainframe, Radical, and many more. A question of curiousity: does Think Tank Training Centre cover motion capture or, if not, will it be covered in the future?

Regards,

Robert

Thanks for the intrest Robert. Motion Capture has definatly become an important tool in the Industry and i think it's safe to say that Think Tank will be incorporating Motion Capture on some level in the near future.

RobertMiller
04-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Motion Capture has definatly become an important tool in the Industry and i think it's safe to say that Think Tank will be incorporating Motion Capture on some level in the near future.

FYI: One of the local motion capture companies has been promoting the free use of their facilities for students (I think four hours of use per semester or something like that. Just to give students some hands-on exposure to motion capture equipment). A couple of their reps came by the The Art Institute of Vancouver (and other local schools) recently and mentioned this offer.

Regards,

Robert

JNix
04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
looks like a great program...thank you for the information

infernoskull
04-25-2006, 01:02 AM
hahhahah i looked at your guy's faculty and you guys have jerry fournier working there, i am an art institute student, and i had him for a semester, nice guy.

i dont know why he got fired.

trence5
04-25-2006, 10:57 PM
WOW................ I am christian and I do try to do the best that I can and I am by no stretch of the imagination perfect or a saint, but.............................. I must admit that some days, I actually think about selling my sou...............:blush:

bale
04-25-2006, 11:24 PM
WOW................ I am christian and I do try to do the best that I can and I am by no stretch of the imagination perfect or a saint, but.............................. I must admit that some days, I actually think about selling my sou...............:blush:

ummmm ok..

AdamHerbert
04-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Just wanted to say what's up to Scott Thompson at Think Tank. I've been talking with him for a couple weeks now and he has helped me make my decision to attend Think Tank. He's been nothing but helpful and friendly. I look forward to meeting the rest of the staff soon.

Adam

ThinkTank
04-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Adam, it's always a pleasure to meet someone with such an obvious passion for the CG field. You asked all the right questions. I would encourage anyone looking to upgrade their skills to spend the time to find out as much as they can about educational institutions or companies offering employment. We are taking our students to Mainframe Entertainment tomorrow to give them a glimpse behind the curtain. We visit a new studio every month or so to show students what the working environment might be like once they land that first job. Taylor making your reel to a specific job gives you a better chance at getting in the door.

Adam, we are looking forward to having you here as we see you as a real asset to the student body. By the way your reel has a very professional feel. Nice work!

Regards

Scott Thompson

AdamHerbert
04-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Scott, thanks very much for the kind words. They mean a lot coming from such a talented CG artist.

I've been contemplating returning to school ever since I graduated in 2004 because I never felt like I got enough out of it. I've researched every animation school I could find in the U.S., Canada, and even some in Europe, and Think Tank is the one that stood out to me. The kindness and support that Scott has given me just puts the cherry on top. Congrats on creating something special guys. Can't wait to see you all soon!

Adam

Cosmo126
06-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Looks like Think Tank's stirring quite a buzz on here. I'm glad I caught it early. Thanks again for the responses Scott. They helped me make up my mind. I'll prolly be calling up again soon. Thanks again, and I can't wait to make it over there, assuming all goes well.

ThinkTank
06-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Marco, you, like Adam Herbert have great potential to succeed in this industry. Think Tank is a very progressive school. Joe and I are constantly looking for ways to raise the bar for students. In order for that to work we demand more from the students themselves. Your commitment to your future gives us the motivation and faith to push you harder. The professional bar is high, your excellent attitude will take you halfway there, we'll do the rest.

We're glad you're considering Think Tank.

Our new lab opens next week and it's going to be awesome!

Regards

Scott Thompson

milanschere
06-22-2006, 03:58 AM
ey, i am at vanarts and we definitively don have that set up. huhu...

ThinkTank
06-22-2006, 04:07 AM
Thanks, we have just built a new Lab. It has twin 20" widescreen LCD Monitors at each station. I'll post an image soon. Enjoy your schooling, it's lots of work but should be lots of fun too!

Regards

Scott Thompson
Think Tank

ThinkTank
08-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Attention CGtalkers! Think Tank Training Centre is now teaching Mudbox, Taught by Kolby Jukes. We appreciate Skymatter letting us beta test this amazing new software in a school setting.

Moy
08-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Does anyone knows if think tank offers one month courses or something like that?
I look for that in their web site but i couldn`t find or maybe they just don`t offer this kind of courses.

JOAS
08-10-2006, 05:21 PM
At this point Think Tank only offers the full time one year program. We are looking forward to a time when we will be able to offer part-time and online training.

J

Cantooch
09-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi, my name is Aaron, and ive searched far and wide for a school that would teach me all there is to know about 3d. I am from deep south texas and sadly there are not many schools that seem to fit my needs here. When i saw your school it seemed amazing...love the environment of a small school. The only question i had was, do i need experience in 3d software? I have no experience in 3d, only in traditional art. Oh and do u have and work from students that i can see?

Thanks alot-
Aaron

PS. Your school looks amazing!

QuantumPixel
09-02-2006, 11:57 PM
hey Aaron yea this school Think-tank is a really cool place thats for sure. I know Joe and a couple of the other instructors there and they are all preaty darn tallented. from my experience if I were you I would get a free trial version of maya or xsi and do a few tutorials on the net befor you dive into any full time 3d course. I would do this just to get some understanding of were things are how the interface works (menus, interface and work flows) if you do this befor you go to any school you will be way beter of in the long run..

the old saying comes to mind its easer to hit the pavment running if you know what I meen.

Matt.b
Env. lighting TD sup.

Cantooch
09-03-2006, 03:43 AM
hey Aaron yea this school Think-tank is a really cool place thats for sure. I know Joe and a couple of the other instructors there and they are all preaty darn tallented. from my experience if I were you I would get a free trial version of maya or xsi and do a few tutorials on the net befor you dive into any full time 3d course. I would do this just to get some understanding of were things are how the interface works (menus, interface and work flows) if you do this befor you go to any school you will be way beter of in the long run..

the old saying comes to mind its easer to hit the pavment running if you know what I meen.

Matt.b
Env. lighting TD sup.

Thanks for the help bro....i was thinking of getting some gnomon tutorials to help me get a basic understanding of maya....hopefully they help!

ThinkTank
09-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Hey Aaron, Thanks for your interest in Think Tank. While some experience in computer imaging, and 3d software in general, will help you get a headstart in our program, Our curriculum is designed for the more familiar, as well as the "newbie". We are more concerned with our applicants artistic talents. We would much rather accept a student who is seasoned in traditional art, than one who only knows his way around a computer. Our curriculum is designed with a more generalistic approach initially. Once students decide on their specialized "path" the program becomes much more focused. Mentors are then hired from one of the studios the student is interested in, and from the department his/her demo reel will be aimed at.

Matts advice is good advice, and I would recomend any student looking to get into this industry to do the same. (we will cover the basics however).

please contact the school through the website if you have any more questions. (I think you have done this and will recieve an answer after the weekend... thanks for your patience.)

mohit
10-10-2006, 07:30 AM
do think tank have specific courses in game art,animation,etc. like vanarts.or it's an allround 1 year program..covering all. let me know how it's shaped up.
Mohit.

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 07:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.