PDA

View Full Version : MATTE and FILL?

Ikarus
03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
I mostly work on print, but recently a client asked for a MATTE and FILL versions of a logo for TV to pass along to his vendors? What exactly does he mean with MATTE and FILL versions of a logo? I tried asking the client, but he didn't know as he just passes it to his vendors who use it.

Mylenium
03-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I mostly work on print, but recently a client asked for a MATTE and FILL versions of a logo for TV to pass along to his vendors? What exactly does he mean with MATTE and FILL versions of a logo? I tried asking the client, but he didn't know as he just passes it to his vendors who use it.

Matte = Alpha/ Transparency
Fill = RGB/ YUV (color)

Should not be necessary to separate the two, though. These days most editing systems will accept standard image files like RGB TIFFs with embedded Alpha channels.

Mylenium

Ikarus
03-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks Mylenium.
I kind of figured it was that, but was unsure.

Is there a standard format that people usually use, or does it vary like TIFFs or TGA's etc.

beenyweenies
03-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks Mylenium.

Is there a standard format that people usually use, or does it vary like TIFFs or TGA's etc.

TGAs are a good bet, they use lossless compression and support 32bit (for embedded alphas). If you are using After Effects you can render out the alpha as a grayscale TGA, then the beauty pass.

PNGs are also very useful for such things. Good compression, small files and fairly universal.

Mylenium
03-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks Mylenium.

No, there's no such thing as a standard, but Targa will work in 90% of all cases (because the format reflects the byteorder of the image buffer of the age-old Targa video cards that were used in the 1980s, everybody seems to hold on to it for sentimental reasons and most video hardware can playback Targa sequences in realtime even today). TIFFs also work most of the time. Just make it an "old" TIF with no compression or LZW at best (no fancies such as pyramids, layers etc. please!)

Mylenium

Ikarus
03-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2006, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.