PDA

View Full Version : Question abuot Zbrush, new

JGomez3d
03-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Im having a problem with zbrush, I am new to it my first time as a matter of fact. I worked on one of my 3d models on zbrush and I saved the file as a zbrush file. But now I cannot do anything to my model, I can see it on the middle of the screen but I cant edit it or anything, and the tool to make a new mesh is not there anymore its just the model in the middle of the screen and I cant do anything to it if I create a cube or a sphere or whatever its just on top of the model but the model wont rotate or anything =(

Plz help

-JG

bigbad
03-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Ah yes. Been there to. Why don't it rotate after saving. It's a secret among zbrush l33tz.
Took me a week to figure it out cause almost no one said right out what to do.

Let me say it.

Save your mesh as a tool. Tool -> Save As

When you want you model to keep on modelling. Tool -> Import

Import your saved tool (in other words your mesh). Keep on working.

Save all the time.

JGomez3d
03-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Thats the problem the first time I saved I did not save the tool, just the mesh. Now I am stuck with a mesh in the middle of the screen that is stationary and I can't manipulate, is there any way of turning that into a tool???

Nii
03-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Nope. Such is the greatness of ZBrush. Or something. =]

JeremyJessup
03-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah... it was a bit confusing to me at first too, then I realized that ZBrush is a paint program, and not primarily a 3D application. If you save the file, all you are doing is saving a 2D (or 2.5D) image, and not the actual mesh. Saving as a tool is the only way to retain your 3D geometry in ZBrush.

Personally, I'd like to see an option to save as an image or save as a 3D object in the same menu to avoid some of the confusion, but for now I know to do all my saving in the Tools menu to avoid the problem.

aurick
03-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Check out this sticky thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=279830) from the top of the forum. Your question has already been answered by Meats.

The bottom line is that Document>Save does NOT save your model. It saves your picture. In other words, it saves pixols, only.

To save your model itself to be reused later you MUST use Tool>Save As. This will save the model as polygons so that you can load it later (using Tool>Load).

DaedraLord
03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
yeah, if your saving as a zbrush file, its only saving the 2d data

acmepixel
03-15-2006, 08:47 PM
There are no "models" in Zbrush. They are called Brush Tools.

Helps to think of it in that way.

If you are comming to Zbrush from a 3D background, you have a lot of 'unlearning' to do.

it also helps to keep reminding yourself it's a 2.5D 'paint' program. The modeling features are there to create brush tools to 'paint' with.

DaedraLord
03-15-2006, 10:03 PM
There are no "models" in Zbrush. They are called Brush Tools.

Helps to think of it in that way.

If you are comming to Zbrush from a 3D background, you have a lot of 'unlearning' to do.

it also helps to keep reminding yourself it's a 2.5D 'paint' program. The modeling features are there to create brush tools to 'paint' with.
exactly, except you can still export the 3d data as a model.

eblondin
03-15-2006, 10:09 PM
yeah, if your saving as a zbrush file, its only saving the 2d data

if you "export" out the canvas it is 2d but if you save the canvas as a .zbr file its actually 2.5 D :)

DaedraLord
03-16-2006, 02:47 AM
if you "export" out the canvas it is 2d but if you save the canvas as a .zbr file its actually 2.5 D :)

well, that could be too confusing for someone who is new to pixol technology

so 2D is close enough

mindsample
03-16-2006, 09:06 AM
just made exactly the same mistake after having worked on a mesh all day. It is really quite a weak point of zbrush, there should be at least a mandatory warning of some sort, I put this down as really bad interface design.

frustrated! but smarter ...

Nii
03-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Personally I find the interface frustrating as well. While people have said you get used to it after awhile, that shouldn't be the case. I'm specifically referring to the menus activating after mouse-over when you don't need them, and disappearing when you do... O_o

mhovland
03-16-2006, 12:48 PM
... there should be at least a mandatory warning of some sort, I put this down as really bad interface design.

That's funny, when I hit <CTRL> S I get a box asking me if I want to save the document or the tool.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2006, 12:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.