PDA

View Full Version : Reconstructing while maintaining UVs

adrencg
03-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I ran into some issues this weekend with some UV texturing...

Is there a UV guru out there who can school me on a couple of things? I have a character which I created in parts: the head and body were made as seperate objects. Also, the UV maps are apart from each other -- "HeadUV" and "BodyUV".

When it came time to join the head to the body, I ran into some problems getting the UV map to line up. If I created a "bridge" between the sections, that is creating new polys between the gaps, I came out with a horrible jagged section between the two sections. I ended up joining the points directly, and came out with something usable -- still not perfect though.

The other issue concerns building new geometry into the model. How is it possible to build in new polys and add them to the UV flow properly? Is it impossible to make mods once the UV has been created? I've eyed some trouble spots in the poly flow, and it'd be great to fix it without jacking up my UV map.

If you know more than me about UV's(which should be easy), please enlighten me a little on how to fix these problems. Thanks in advance

Mike

toonafish
03-13-2006, 03:34 PM
When it came time to join the head to the body, I ran into some problems getting the UV map to line up. If I created a "bridge" between the sections, that is creating new polys between the gaps, I came out with a horrible jagged section between the two sections. I ended up joining the points directly, and came out with something usable -- still not perfect though.

For this I don't know any other solution then what you did; manualy aligning the new UV's with the existing map with the snap tool.

The other issue concerns building new geometry into the model. How is it possible to build in new polys and add them to the UV flow properly? Is it impossible to make mods once the UV has been created? I've eyed some trouble spots in the poly flow, and it'd be great to fix it without jacking up my UV map.

That's Lightwave, some tools screw up your UV's and others don't, or only at the edges of discontinues UV's :-(
Most of the time I use the "add-" and "remove edges" tools to change geometry that already has a UV map because it doesn't screw up the UV's when you keep your UV window open with the UVmap visible.
I never move points on the geometry around too much to prevent UV distortion. If I need to change the edge flow I also use add and remove edges, this will also update the UV's.

good luck

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2006, 03:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.