PDA

View Full Version : Framestore-CFC feature animation

nickepstein
03-13-2006, 01:24 PM
http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=5610

"Framestore CFC today announces the formation of *Framestore Feature Animation*. Heading the new venture will be David Lipman, who joins the company as Managing Partner after eight successful years at Dreamworks Animation, where his roles included Producer on /Shrek 2/ and Co-Executive Producer on /Shrek/. "

we heard about this a few weeks back -- its a pretty major operation, right in the heart of soho too.

Lone Deranger
03-13-2006, 02:10 PM
In other words... people.. start sending in your reels!

koexistens
03-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Cool, I will head in the way of Framestore CFC one day...

JosephGoss
03-13-2006, 03:03 PM
back in high school, i done my work experince there,.

it's a nice place,

just woundering, how many artists and animators are needed to create a feature animation studio??

would they need to emply more people?

mattmos
03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Woo thanks for posting that nick. Good news all round, about time we had a full feature studio in London :)

talos72
03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
All these shops starting their own CG feature animation division reminds me of the 90's when every studio openned its own traditional feature animation house. We all know what happened to hand-drawn feature animation when the market got flooded with overproduced, expensive mediocre films that lost money thus leading to executives calling "traditional animation" a dead format.

P_T
03-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Great news for the UK artists to be sure. I just hope this doesn't mean even more talking animals animations. Please make something different even if it's just for the sake of variety.

Out of all the feature animations coming out this year, only Open Season and Over the Hedge really got my interest.

mattmos
03-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Great news for the UK artists to be sure. I just hope this doesn't mean even more talking animals animations. Please make something different even if it's just for the sake of variety.

Out of all the feature animations coming out this year, only Open Season and Over the Hedge really got my interest.

Was that ironic?

This is what amazon has got to say about the story its based on:

The first book of four tells Despereaux the mouse's sad story, where he falls deeply in love with Princess Pea and meets his cruel fate. The second book introduces another creature who differs from his peers--Chiaroscuro, a rat who instead of loving the darkness of his home in the dungeon, loves the light so much he ends up in the castle& in the queen's soup. The third book describes young Miggery Sow, a girl who has been "clouted" so many times that she has cauliflower ears. Still, all the slow-witted, hard-of-hearing Mig dreams of is wearing the crown of Princess Pea. The fourth book returns to the dungeon-bound Despereaux and connects the lives of mouse, rat, girl, and princess in a dramatic denouement.

I don't know how this will fit in with the release of flushed away and ratatouille, seems rather crowded in the rodent market atm...

urgaffel
03-13-2006, 04:35 PM
At least it's Sylvain Chomet heading it so it might be original visually if not storywise.

yann22
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
:bounce: good news :applause:

Digit
03-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Ive read the book and it is great. If they are faithful to it then it will be nothing like any of the american talking animal movies. With Chomet still attached it should, hopefully, turn out great. Good luck to all involved.

edit: Im actually a bit miffed about this as Chomet offered me a job on this film back in 2004. Ah, well....

Lone Deranger
03-13-2006, 08:15 PM
would they need to emply more people?

You better believe it. This is FrameStore-CFC expanding it's bussiness, not just a new project to keep the current staff busy after the current shows wrap. I'm sure there will be a big recruitment drive commencing soon.

beaker
03-14-2006, 03:20 AM
Woo thanks for posting that nick. Good news all round, about time we had a full feature studio in London :)Did you block out Menacefx who did much of Valiant?.

alexyork
03-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Did you block out Menacefx who did much of Valiant?.

I think you meant Vanguard. Sadly, they're not around any more.

mattmos
03-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Did you block out Menacefx who did much of Valiant?.

Vanguard was never going to be a permenant full feature studio, they were just in it for the tax breaks and soon as they dried up they left for cheaper territories. The article leads me to believe this will be more than that, that they will try to establish themselves as a permanent feature base, which is why its such good news :)

ringzero
03-14-2006, 09:31 AM
they will try to establish themselves as a permanent feature base, which is why its such good news :)

If your not one of the big boys theres no such thing as a permanent feature base for you.

Just ask the guys looking for work from DNA.

mattmos
03-14-2006, 10:06 AM
If your not one of the big boys theres no such thing as a permanent feature base for you.

Just ask the guys looking for work from DNA.

I'm talking about a studio that will do more than just one movie and then uproot itself, I'm not saying that it will offer permanent employment, I'm aware of production cycles thank you. I'm also not kidding myself that I would get a job there but then again I'm not looking either. I'm happy because it will stimulate the entire market in London.

vfx
03-14-2006, 10:07 AM
I think you meant Vanguard. Sadly, they're not around any more.

Um, Yes they are, just not in the uk I think?.

www.vanguardanimation.com (http://www.vanguardanimation.com/)

Re Framestore:

Is this happening at Framestore since films have dried up over here, and well its simply the in thing? Again - a company who still continues to think that Soho is still the base for uk digital animation is solely wrong - God how much they could save if they moved somewhere sunnier (uk sunny that is) and less crowded, take Aardman for example. Won't attract me cos I wouldn't live in London when I know the US has so much more to offer me personally, lifestyle wise.

nickepstein
03-14-2006, 12:15 PM
erm... films drying up over here?! the big london studios are currently turning down work because they cant physically do it, or find the people (which might itself be a concern for those recruiting for this feature project).

and why in soho? i dont know, and floorspace is definitely cheaper elsewhere, but can you attract the artists? like i'd imagine most artists from the states etc would want to live and work in london. i could be wrong.

the bandwagon thing, research the project... it really is very interesting and the director is someone who knows what he's doing. i have faith in it anyway, and thats from someone who is staying in vfx -- i dont have too much interest in doing feature animations (although the artwork for desperaux is very very tempting!)

matt's right -- this should be good for the whole london industry. lets see how it pans out.

SimonPickard
03-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Great news for Framestore! Great news for London! And great news for us animators who wander the planet looking for a good project to work on!

I'm so glad there's a feature animation studio in the UK! What with visa's to the US being what they are (i.e. a joke) it's gives me a warm fuzzy feeling know people are doing animated films back home.

All the best,

Simon.

vfx
03-14-2006, 07:11 PM
erm... films drying up over here?!

Um, actually you are wrong there, since the UK Goverment shut down the loop hole providing tax breaks to film makers who made more than 70% of their film within the uk, the film industry here has been majorly suffering - Even Bond is being filmed abroad and not at Ealing! The government knows this is a big issue, and is re-introducing the tax break this April! surely being at Framestore you know this?

big london studios are currently turning down work because they cant physically do it, or find the people

I'm sorry but I disagree... There's plenty of artists in the uk looking for work! back a year ago, I tried applying everywhere in London (I applied worldwide), and I got excellent results from the US, but London vfx houses were a no go, no one was interested, unless I was willing to forget my 4 years at uni, and lose out on experience to be a runner, and in London - what a joke! I'm now earning way more than I would have been if I were in London, and I don't have to cram onto buses or trains - if foreigners like that sort of thing thats fine, just not my cup of tea, rather look out over the sea personally. Lifestyle, social life and a great work ethic all count to me. I intend on reapplying to fx houses next year, and I won't even consider London now due to the negative vibe I got - I will however be applying to the US, and Canada where I now have steady contacts. Just my feelings - everyone will be different on this of course.

Oh, and due to changing times, Large fx houses aren't quite so popular as they once were (with the obvious exception ilm/weta) thanks to product costs etc, and now we see the emerging new smaller fx houses, where the individual artist is seen as a much more important asset, and a place where filmmakers don't have to spend such ridiculous amounts of their budget to cover overheads, staff numbers etc that big fx houses have to deal with - this I believe will be an ongoing development and will be the trend for years to come.:thumbsup:

beaker
03-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I think you meant Vanguard. Sadly, they're not around any more.Vanguard is a production company, Menacefx did the actual work(well a lot of it). Vanguard is still around, they are doing some movie with a german company this time around.

beaker
03-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Um, actually you are wrong there, since the UK Goverment shut down the loop hole providing tax breaks to film makers who made more than 70% of their film within the uk, the film industry here has been majorly suffering - Even Bond is being filmed abroad and not at Ealing! The government knows this is a big issue, and is re-introducing the tax break this April! surely being at Framestore you know this?The trouble with the tax break is Vanguard circumvented it and actually did a lot of work on Valiant in Israel but still got the tax break as if it was all done 100% in London at Menacefx.

vfx
03-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Lol - That's interesting stuff to know beaker - well done on their behalf!

This begs the question - Did artists have to move for the period of production??

alexyork
03-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Vanguard is a production company, Menacefx did the actual work(well a lot of it). Vanguard is still around, they are doing some movie with a german company this time around.

I forgot they relocated to Germany. I was working there last spring, as a runner, so I can safely say they did most of the production work :) It'll be interesting to see what they come up with again.

And yep, this is fantastic news for Framestore and London in general.

mr Bob
03-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Good news for the UK and in framestores experienced hands Im sure they will do well , I just hope they can find enough skilled staff to crew up .........

B

nickepstein
03-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Um, actually you are wrong there, since the UK Goverment shut down the loop hole providing tax breaks to film makers who made more than 70% of their film within the uk, the film industry here has been majorly suffering - Even Bond is being filmed abroad and not at Ealing! The government knows this is a big issue, and is re-introducing the tax break this April! surely being at Framestore you know this?

maybe i should have been clearer -- i mean post production, (and by big studios i meant mpc/framestore/dneg) which from what i see every day, is booming. yes film production itself suffered hugely after the tax break loophole was closed, but you're right, things should pick up in that respect later this year.

sure i agree -- there are some great smaller shops doing excellent work, but i would do some research about the costs you talk about. in most cases the larger studios are able to actually bid lower because of the workflow/pipeline/technology/experience they have in place. how inefficient would it be to have 'individual artists' working on a show with 300+ shots? i was very interested to read the stuff on luma pictures (underworld 2) -- i think they have it down, but i wonder just how long those hours were?!

stewartjones
03-15-2006, 10:54 AM
This is some totally awesome news for us in the UK! Bring on the jobs! haha! :thumbsup:

Digit
03-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Considering what big news this is I havent seen this news announced anywhere else. Not on AWN or on the Framestore website.

The Digit article sounds 100% authentic but is this a done deal or what?

Just curious...

msp
03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
sure i agree -- there are some great smaller shops doing excellent work, but i would do some research about the costs you talk about. in most cases the larger studios are able to actually bid lower because of the workflow/pipeline/technology/experience they have in place. how inefficient would it be to have 'individual artists' working on a show with 300+ shots? i was very interested to read the stuff on luma pictures (underworld 2) -- i think they have it down, but i wonder just how long those hours were?!

True, but some of the workflow/pipeline stuff is really only a result of a studio having been around for a few years. (They tend to be somewhat bigger than the newer startups, but not always). If you've done digi-doubles before then you know how to do them and turn a profit (usually at lower cost to the client). Its more experience than size.

To my mind the biggest advantage established fx houses have is that they can point to previous work (digi-doubles for example) and be able to persuade clients to spend their money with them because of it. While the 'optimum size of studio' waxes and wanes over the years i feel the "proven-track-record" requirement prevents the one-man-band taking over entirely.

Martin Preston

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.