PDA

View Full Version : 3d character animation DVD's

mali22
03-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I would like to learn character animation, and I've bought some books (like animator's survival kit..) and I know some fundamental things, but it's just not enough for me, and there are no animation courses here. So I'm thinking of buying some DVD's. I was looking at the 3 Gnomon character animation DVD's and Jeff Lew's DVD. But buying all of those would be a bit too much for me right now. So could someone direct me to some good reviews or even better give me their impressions if you've seen any of these? Are they worth the price? Are they too software oriented? (I'm a max user) Would you recommend buying only some of those or all of them? Any other better DVD's on the subject perhaps?
Thank you! =)

gdimmrt
03-24-2006, 07:24 AM
I can't comment on the Jeff Lew's DVD because I've never seen it but I can comment on the Gnomon DVD. First of all, the DVD's done in Maya but it's not about teaching the software. Anything that he shows in the video can be applied in max, curve editing and stuff. If you have a good grip using max then this should be no problem. I use both max and maya and these videos apply to both. I liked the fact that he's showing the concept of animation instead of using the software. He talks alot about anticipation, secondary motion, and all the stuff that makes a character comes alive. Honestly, I would get all 3 Gnomon DVD if I want everything, including the basics, or just get #2 and #3 if you want intermdiate character anim. #2 is just a walk cycle. If you can only get 1 DVD, then get #3. It incorporate everything in #1 and #2 in a scene.

mali22
03-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Thank you for the answer, that helps a lot. I do know the basics, but sometimes I don't really know how to apply them properly... soo, I'll see yet...

musashidan
03-24-2006, 09:47 PM
The first thing i did when i began trying to teach myself character animation was get Jeff's DVD and i found this excellent.It covers most of the principles of animation having already layed out some of the basics and then it's on to a follow along of Jeffs workflow whilst animating a character.I learned alot from it and would definitely recommend it.
Havn't seen Gnomon so can't comment.

mali22
03-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Thank you, Danny as well. Yes, I have seen the free downloadable parts of Jeff's DVD and liked it. Maybe my best option would be to get all after all.
Yeah, and there's a new gnomon dvd that just came out for game animation...
Well, I'm still trying to do some stuff on my own, so when I really get stuck (again =), I'll probably get them.
Thanks again! =)

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2006, 11:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.