PDA

View Full Version : rigging -> what's the best way to learn?

blacknoise
03-13-2006, 11:08 AM
as in the topic. what's the best way to start? cgtoolkit.com books? maya manual? (yes, im working with maya). should i start from rigging the ball? :)

would like to know your opinion... especially if you are pro TD.

thanks!
bn.

dunkelzahn
03-13-2006, 03:51 PM
I started out by modelling a simple humanoid character and just rigging with a simple, yet anatomical correct rig (medical anatomy books are very good for that!) and then checking out the Paint weight function. That should keep you busy for a few days. Itīs a good practice as you understand how good modelling can support the rigging (and how bad modelling can really spoil your day :)). Try creating anatomical correct IK solvers for the arms and the legs and toes (i.e. limiting the rotation axis so your knees donīt rotate sideways etc...). Use control boxes parented to your feet and constrained with a translation limit to prevent your character from sinking into the ground.

I know, thatīs just for starters. After that you should check out the human anatomy itself. Did you wonder what the scapula and the clavicle bones are for? Well, if you tried raising your characters arms, you will now, hehe. Find out about driven keys and expressions to solve the problem.

You will find out, that the F1 manual will become your best friend, as itīs all written in there. Especially the Character setup chapter is very helpful for first steps.

There, I think thatīs a good start to build up some rigging basics, but letīs wait for other peopleīs opinions.

Cheers and greetings from Germany,

Chris

blacknoise
03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
thanks for your tips Chris! really appreciate that.

cheers.

eek
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
I did all the tutorials, then got one of the big new new rider books, read that - then just started playing. So just play, and try and solve simple ideas, then once you have a basic ground read up on anatomy,movement etc.

Basically get the fundementals right first. Understand how, parenting, world/local space works, transforms etc

virtualmesh
03-15-2006, 01:05 AM
Eek, which book title(s) from New Riders are you referring to?

eek
03-15-2006, 01:32 AM
3ds max bible

blacknoise
03-15-2006, 11:12 AM
thanks eek!

i'll go back to the basics... and then order cgtoolkit books on rigging ;)

stewartjones
03-15-2006, 11:56 AM
thanks eek!

i'll go back to the basics... and then order cgtoolkit books on rigging ;)

These books are awesome, a definate good choice in my opinion! I gotta agree with Eek though, get playing and solving problems! :)

virtualmesh
03-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I just finished Animators Survival Guide by Williams and in it he presents a lot of requirements animators need to drive their characters in the best form possible. Learned a lot about animation and that has given me some new ideas on what is 'really' needed to deliver the desired kinetic effects within my characters.

I guess gaining the skills to animation techniques first would benefit any person attempting to rig characters.

Being able to respect the fact that rigging is for the end-purpose of the animation effect. It is the animation that the audience will be judging, not the rig behind it. Also, watch some of the bonus dvds that come with today's cg-packed motion pictures. In them, you see all the animators at work and very little technical directors coding behind the scenes.

blacknoise
03-16-2006, 02:23 PM
and that's why im going to join the animation mentor school in the near future.

thanks for your opinions virtualmesh and vyntax.

so little time and so much to learn...

animationrigs
03-17-2006, 01:38 AM
as in the topic. what's the best way to start? cgtoolkit.com books? maya manual? (yes, im working with maya). should i start from rigging the ball? :)

would like to know your opinion... especially if you are pro TD.

thanks!
bn.

Take a look at www.animationrigs.com (http://www.animationrigs.com) we have a pretty good fundamentals training structure that our subscribers seem to be very happy with. It's interactive training from within Maya. You can take it for a test spin with the free demo subscription. Make sure you watch the setup video.

blacknoise
03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
i'll have a look at the animationrigs.com and give it a test drive for sure! thanks a lot!

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.