PDA

View Full Version : Embedded Texture Maps?

mdunakin
03-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know how, or if, I can get an image map out of a Material in Vue?
I'm trying to get the B/W (and color, for that matter) image maps used with the
Dry Bush plants out of the Material so I can modify it to suit my own needs.

The only way I can think to do it, is to copy the Function and use it on a flat
Terrain and render out a very large image from that so I can get the Image Map used.

But that sure seems like a lot of work, considering these plants are provided with the program.

Anyway, I don't see any real way, other then what I just suggested, but I'm open to any thoughts?

Thanx.......................md :)

MsLin
03-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Did you try just using the save function in the material editor for the images? I would think you could then use them on whatever - a plane, sphere, change the material and save the function. Then reload the weeds and load your new files in the material editor. Or doesn't that work?

Lin

Nevermind - tried it. Doesn't work. Don't have a clue.

bruno021
03-19-2006, 11:58 AM
If you use Vue Infinite, it is simple: export your object and check "create texture maps". Refer to the manual for the maps options, I don't remember them too well, and Vue will create texture maps that will (try to) match the function. Now this feature was rather poor in the first builts of Infinite, but works quite well now.

mdunakin
03-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Yep, thanx MsLin, but that wouldn't do the job.
And I thought of that one too, and similar methods.

Now I like bruno021's, idea and will see if that works.
Cuz I need to have the images they use, othrwize I could just make my own,
which I already plan on doing anyway, but this would speeds things up is all.

I'll be back if this works or not.
Thanx for the suggestion, bruno021......................md :)

mdunakin
03-19-2006, 07:27 PM
OK, I've been working at this since early this morning, and I am not
sure at all if I am doing things right or not, but it sure looks like I am.
As they don't actually seem to tell you what "size" the image maps
are that they are using, so you just have to do a guessing game.

But, I AM geting somewhere (though it IS all just guessing and assuming).
See, the default sets to 200xXXX and you don't really know if
that is what the actual size f the Image Map is or not?

Anyway, I'm playin trying to see if I can modify someof these plants.

.........md :)

Irishmiss
03-20-2006, 01:15 PM
You can create your own texture maps as well, which I have done for some of the trees I have made.

http://eclecticguild.com/images/leaftest.jpg

:)

mdunakin
03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Yep, I made my first plant textures last night, but I didn't have any decent fotos to go from,
so the quality of the plant's image maps weren't that great, but I "was" able to see if and how it would work.

I'm waiting to get out to the desert to get me a ton of quality fotos that I can work from,
but right now I simply can't get out there and probably won't be able to for a few weeks still :(

I was just trying to see if I could convert some of the Vue plants into what I wanted,
but even with changing image maps, this doesn't really work for everything, as some
plants just out right need to be modified from the mesh level up and placing
image maps on them doesn't cut it.
You can read my thread on this over at Cornucopia under this link:
(since I don't want to retype everything here again) :)
http://www.cornucopia3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15970#15970

Hopefully, the link will work?
This link is for page 2 of 2, so if you want to read more about this, there is a Previous Page.

But, you can see my first attempt (albeit, a pretty whimpy one LOL) at that link, or right here:
http://www.md-arts.com/brittlebush_with_flowers_scene_01.jpg
BTW, I finally found out what this plant I am trying to make is called, it's a Brittle Bush.
Though mine doesn't look much like one... yet LOL

I explain everything I went through at that other forum :)

Anyway, I had a great learning experience, that's for sure.
And now I have a better idea of just what I will need to do to get decent image maps.
Or at least as decent as Vue plants will let me, which IS pretty limited.
If I just had myself some better quality fotos, I could do this thing much better.
But, later on I will and someone from Cornucopia has already said they will be helping
me to get new desert plants made, so "finally" I see light at the end of the desert tunnel! :)

............md :)

Irishmiss
03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks Mark - I've read the other thread at Cornucopia. You're into the plant editor much deeper than I :)

Your plant looks darn good to me and I'm sure you will hone it even more until it is excellent.

:)

mdunakin
03-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanx and yes, I am really getting into the whole plant editing bit :)

Also, did ya like my version of the Pebbles material?
That took me a very long time to finally figure out how to get the pebbles to
be some other color besides just the default lite greyish white that they alway are.
I'm still planning on putting out a tutorial on how I managed to do that, as most people
won't like trying to figure it out, I can guaranty you that, cuz it's really sucked trying
to determine exactly how you get those pebbles to change LOL
But, once you know it, then it goes much easier, though still can be a tad bit tricky :)

I have soooo many tutorials still stacked up in my head, that I need to start putting
them out, before I loose track of them and they end up getting lost forever or something LOL

Now that I see other people sell their Vue tutorials, I'm thinking I may do the same thing
and earn me a few bucks for all my work that I would have to put into creating those tutorials.
I don't mind handing out freebies for the most part, but somethings where you
really have to put in a lLOT of time and detail putting the tings together,
makes me feel like they should be worth something, no?

Ummm... anyway, I can't wait to hit the desert so I can get me some REAL fotos to work with/from.

Already, looking at that plant today, it looks old already and out of date! LOL

.................md :)

mdunakin
03-20-2006, 07:47 PM
In case anyone else feels like putzing around to see if they can make something with
the bush plant (or any others?) here are the image maps I used to make that bush with.

http://www.md-arts.com/Vue/BritleBushImageMaps.zip

Early (first attempt) tries at doing this, but good enough to actually be used for something :)

Enjoy!

....................md :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2006, 07:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.