PDA

View Full Version : Exercice on weight

Drake83
03-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi guys!

Here's my attempt to weight and feeling of weight, very basic as you can see. I'd like to have your advice on it. Is it realistic enough? Do you see pops or so on?
Thank you in advance for your help, crits and comments. Do not hesitate to tell me if there are errors, I try to do my best :)

http://www.cedriclefebvre.info/animations/sautsite.avi

HenryGSanchez
03-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey, theres two things that I saw right off the bat. You have to watch out for twinning, when hes in the air his hands are doing the exact same thing, and both his feet land on the same frame. Another thing is that the force of the jump would push him forward when he lands, he would not be able to stop that force completely without at least taking one more step to catch himself.

Drake83
03-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the great piece of advice Henry. I'll offset the keys of two or three frames. The feet do not land at the same time, there's one frame between 'em but with the motion blur it doesn't appear. I'll watch that too. You're also certainly right for the force that would push him forward.

Back to my animation again :)

BTW, I'm taking a look at your website and your animations, just saw the car theif, i thought it was very well animated, i loved it!

Drake83
03-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey!
Here's the last version. I think it's better, even if there is very little difference between the first one and this one. What do you think about? I tried to avoid twinning so that it looks like more natural.

But i've seen so many reels with jumps where the character stops like mine that i'm wondering if it's useful to change it if it works... What do you think?

http://www.cedriclefebvre.info/animations/sautsite.avi

Thank you in advance guys!

Foxxy Lady
03-16-2006, 12:55 AM
LOL i like it! it's very snappy. nice work. i'd like to see some more stuff from you. ~Tammy

ZeAle
03-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Very good!! I'm amazed..

wtoddk
03-21-2006, 05:54 AM
Hey Drake...looking good. I'd say your animation is definitely stylized... in that he hangs in the air sooooo long, then recuperates from his jump so quickly after hitting the ground. I'm one for a mix between reality and exageration in my animations. But I would say the timing is pretty good.....just I would take out a couple of frames in the hang-in-the-air, and maybe add a couple after he hits the ground (maybe add frame numbers to your animation to make it easier for the rest of us to refer to a point in the animation)

the anticipation and jump in the beginning are great!
maybe arc his head back more during the air-hang....it kind of does a snap in mid-air too.
maybe when he looks at the camera at the end, he could also do a hip or foot shift or something. His pelvis seems really static.

Like I said, maybe the snappy-style is what you're going for...so take or leave my suggestions. :)
Looks great!

Drake83
03-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Thank you all for answering, i'm getting my first really positive crits and i'm learnig a ton with you! :)
Skyboysky i think i really understand what you mean! You're not the first one who says the lower part of the body is too static... The idea of lifting the weight from one leg to the other is simply great, i wish i could have thought to it by myself, maybe when i'm older :D

I love snappy style, i'm seeing my dvds of Madagascar over and over, just to try to understand how they managed to do such a stylized film. That's why i'd like not to change my timing and spacing, or maybe on the head as you said. But on the other hand, i wouldn't be seen as "the man who's just able to do snappy animation". I dunno if this style is considered as funny, or boring, or anything else by the leading animation studios. Maybe i should try sort of mixed animations in my reel, alternating with snappy and realistic sequences. Well i dunno, and i'm far from that point right now! :)

Ok, back to my animation, stay tuned!

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 08:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.