PDA

View Full Version : Rotate view with Alt+mouse left button :) (like in Maya)

shader
03-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi, I've made a little program to accomplish what is supposately untouchable and harcoded in 3ds max: rotate the view with the alt+middle button combination. With the little script I've made with (www.autohotkey.com (http://www.autohotkey.com)) now you can do it with the Alt+left button. Enjoy.

www.telefonica.net/web2/brts/3dsmax_alt_mmb.zip (http://www.telefonica.net/web2/brts/3dsmax_alt_mmb.zip)

stuh505
03-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Nice work shader!!!

As someone who regularly uses both controls in his workflow, this would be invaluable... because I would not constantly have to readjust from one to the other! and, even though I have more experience with the max controls I find them to be much less fluid than the maya ones.

You have implemented the rotate, but can you please implement the maya zoom and pan as well?

Chinwagon
03-14-2006, 06:05 AM
Great stuff!
Is there any way you can show how you've setup the .ahk file before compiling it so that someone (eg. me) can take what you've started and implement extra stuff?
:)

stuh505
03-14-2006, 02:02 PM
I bet this can be done as a plugin with the SDK too

shader
03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey! I'm glad you find this one useful. Well, as I think I've heard, changing the Alt behabiour is hardcoded by autodesk, not being able to change it, but maybe I'm wrong in this. However, doing it with autohotkey is easy, well, the exact autohokey code you are requesting is this one:

!lButton:: send, {ALT down}{mbutton down}
!lButton up:: send, {ALT up}{mbutton up}

If you want to improve, you're welcome ;)

-Vormav-
03-25-2006, 05:58 AM
I started messing around with autohotkey this weekend, and managed to reproduce most of the Maya controls. ALT+LMB for rotating, ALT+MMB for panning and ALT+RMB for zooming.
The only iffy control is the ALT+MMB combo, which only half works. Sounds like an easy remapping problem, and if you didn't care about retaining a working left-ALT button for all sorts of other combos, such as ALT+TAB, it would be. But to keep from screwing the ALT button up, it has to do a few things which are kinda...buggy. It sometimes jumps, and sometimes it switches into select mode at the wrong time for some reason. But it mostly works. (Edit: Quick note: The ALT+MMB combo only works if you haven't changed the default shortcut for the pan tool - ctrl+p)
Still can't say that I'd recommend using it. Apart from the MMB, some of these combinations are already used as quad-menu shortcuts, and switching to this control setup will lock you out of using those shortcuts.

I also put together a Houdini-style control setup (just like Maya controls, only using the space bar instead of ALT). Much more stable than the Maya setup. The only bug I'm aware of with this is that you're locked out of the default holding action of the spacebar. IE, normally if you hit and hold the spacebar in any text window, you'll get more and more spaces until you release the spacebar. With this control setup, that action is lost; you only get a space when you release the space bar. I wasn't able to figure out how to fix this (tried to fix it with a loop, but that didn't work for some reason - think it's a bug).

Attached the executables and source files if anyone wants to use them.
Personally, I would advise against using any of these. My brief experience with autohotkey is that, while it may be awesome for creating shortcuts for all kinds of actions, using it to remap keys is far too troublesome. It interferes with all of the default actions that your computer uses for handling keyboard controls, it seems to be rather buggy, and there's too great a chance of throwing the logical and physical states of your keys out of sync (IE, windows thinks you're holding alt when you've already released it). So, definitely not recommended. But they're here if anyone feels like using them anyway.

ajohnson
04-26-2006, 10:41 AM
As a previous poster alluded to, this is also possible with the SDK, and my company actually produces a plugin for 3ds Max that accomplishes this. It does Maya-style zooming (both Alt + RMB and Alt + LMB + MMB methods), panning, and orbiting. It also emulates several other Maya features. Just to name a few, "sticky key" snapping, middle click transformations, and viewport autofocus.

It should all work quite a bit cleaner than the AHK method. And I don't mean to discount what you've done here -- It's very cool how much you were able to accomplish AHK.

Anyway, there are some free videos on this page that showcase its features in more detail, as well as a free trial download of the plugin itself:
http://draster.com/switcher_max_maya

This is admittedly a bit of a product plug, but it seemed very relevant, so I hope no one minds... ;)

-Andrew

http://draster.com/images/switcher_max_options.gif

Sully
04-26-2006, 11:03 AM
This is reallly great thanks alot guys!!

Blue
04-26-2006, 08:28 PM
http://draster.com/switcher_max_maya

This is admittedly a bit of a product plug, but it seemed very relevant, so I hope no one minds... ;)

Its not like you're the first or only one pushing a product :). I've watched the videos and this looks really useful for unifying the controls for maya centric users as well as adding some cool functions that max was missing.

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2006, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.