PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Layer Transfer Modes?

Stray
03-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has experience in compositing shadows that are generated with shadow catchers in 3d packages?

I have two renders. One with a hard key light from above and then a global illumination pass that separate.

What I am trying to do is make the shadows composite into a backgraound plate that has beeen match moved. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on th etype of transfer mode I might use for the layers containing the shadows.

I also have eLin and know a bit about using it. I dont have AE 7 yet. But if there were any benefit from using an emulated 32 bit expanded linear color space in tis instance maybe someone could let me know?

thanks
-Danny

Ian Jones
03-13-2006, 04:44 AM
I would probably start with multiply blend mode. Really I think the answer is to use anything that looks right. I've asked similar questions and searched for answers as to the correct layer compositing modes but everyone seems to tell me just use what works, what matters is how it looks rather than how you did it.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2006, 04:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.