PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio Piece: Arabian Knight 2500 polys

Asorson
12-17-2002, 10:55 AM
You may have seen this elsewhere but what-tha-hell. This is a model I just completed for my upcoming demo reel. The concept art is by a friend of mine, RC Montesqieu. 2490 polys.

http://uploader.axsstudios.com/images/Arab_RC_Concept.gif
http://uploader.axsstudios.com/images/Arab_Turn01.gif
http://uploader.axsstudios.com/images/Arab_Turn02.gif

DaKrunch
12-17-2002, 12:21 PM
hey good piece of work so far!
waiting for texturing! :thumbsup:

podoba
12-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Nice character... i'm looking for textured model

ether
12-17-2002, 03:30 PM
cool stuff Erik :thumbsup: I'll also be looking forward to a textured version :)

NileshXYZ
12-17-2002, 04:42 PM
Ohh ahh awww :drool: .... LightWave? Max? other?
how about wierframe? ill be waiting to see textured as well..

Asorson
12-17-2002, 08:48 PM
Thanks,

It was done in Max. Everyone waiting for a textured version may have to wait a while. My original plan was to include him in the bare model section of my reel, along with several others. I might texture him though, I really love this character and I think he could really come to life with some bright colors.

Believe it or not I decided not to texture him because my reel is getting too long, approaching 4 minutes now. Most of my models follow the format of wireframe spin, faceted spin, smoothed spin, textured spin (if textured). I already have a pretty substancial amount of textured work so it's kind of a tossup between "short and sweet" and "long and complete" if I decide to texture all the models I show.

Here's a wireframe NileshXYZ

http://uploader.axsstudios.com/images/Arab_Wire.gif

jfalconer
12-19-2002, 10:53 AM
I like this character, and he is certainly well executed.
However, I can't help but feel as though he could use a simple goatee.

^_~ ... Just a suggestion.

jmringuet
12-19-2002, 09:55 PM
I think the nose could be a little bigger Eric. On the concept art it's definitely more visible and kind of rounded whereas on your model it's very thin and long. Other than that it's almost perfect :)
If you texture it do something very simple and kind of flat with the textures, something in a Disney style (Treasure Planet) would be really cool.

Asorson
12-26-2002, 10:49 PM
Yeah the nose is kind of narrow, I'm going to widen it up a bit. Thanks JM.

BiTMAP
12-27-2002, 05:32 AM
also may i suggest you don't do all the same thing for each model, Try to spice your reel up, show some animations, do the batman thing on the high quality models (showing details) make it diffrent then everyone elses, but better... Just my 2cents.

Asorson
12-28-2002, 02:09 AM
Bitmap, Thanks for the suggestion. I can appreciate where you're coming from but I really don't have the time or the particular skillset to create a compelling entertaining "movie-like" demo reel. I'm primarily a modeler/texture artist, not an animator. I don't want to be an animator either.

So I'm left with finding "creative" ways to show my models. I've seen a lot of modelers reels with all kinds of flashy zooms and pans and although they look pretty cool it doesn't make it easy to accurately assess their modeling skill.

My goal is to just show off what I'm best at and what is applicable, and bypass all the bs that has nothing to do with the job. That's why all the characters in my reel will be displayed from the angle that they were intended to be seen from in-game. Ex: If they are from a Game Boy game they will be small, if from an RTS they will be seen from 3/4 isometric view, etc.

By the end of watching it you may be bored out of your skull, and you certainly won't take the tape home with you to watch after dinner with your girlfriend and a bucket of popcorn. But hopefully there will be no doubt left in your mind that you've found a damn good modeler and texturer capable of handling the kind of work that you need done.

Least that's what I'm hoping for :D

azazel
12-28-2002, 04:36 PM
Very nice character, only thing missing is his sword - that'd tell more about his 'profession'. Don't know why I think of him as a berberian pirate ;)

processedmeat
12-28-2002, 05:02 PM
Hi Erik,

I like your model a lot. And your friend's concept art is very good!

But I think if you really want to show off you have to texture it. Modelling is difficult. But modelling and texturing is REALLY HARD. I mean I spend maybe 15% of the time modelling. The rest is for UV mapping/texturing.

And companies are looking for artists that can both. Anyway I will be looking forward like the rest to see a textured version.

Asorson
12-28-2002, 06:49 PM
azazel: Thanks. Since I don't have any plans to rig this guy I didn't really have anywhere to stick the sword, so I skipped it :)

processedmeat: I have many many textured models, this just happens to not be one of them :) Right now my demo reel consists of around 70 models: over 50 character models ranging from 100,000 polys down to 250 polys(of which only 4 are untextured), ten 500 poly building models from an RTS(textured), and a couple of animated realtime environmental effects.

tozkera
12-28-2002, 10:07 PM
i think you should try to make the legs and arms longer, he seems sorta stubby now.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.