PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Impreza update

jabusby
03-05-2002, 05:36 AM
e-mail (jabusby@Hotmail.com) http://www.student.brad.ac.uk/pwbeadle/forweb.jpg

Here is an updated version of my Subaru Impreza model. I have not had much time to work on it due to university work. The lighting is provided by a large array of low intensity spotlights, I am not sure about the DOF. I am also unsure as to whether or not I should add the air intakes, anyway give me some suggestions and I will see what I can do with it. :D

Flynn
03-05-2002, 05:49 AM
sweeeeeeeet!

very cool

I think the depth of field is fine...but its kinda hard to tell without some more objects in the BG.

Man you people on this board amaze me with your skill.

Keep it up man.

goodlag
03-05-2002, 07:12 AM
nice work

i like it:D

jabusby
03-06-2002, 06:56 AM
e-mail (jabusby@Hotmail.com) http://www.student.brad.ac.uk/pwbeadle/impreza2.jpg
Here is a slightly updated version of the car complete with air intakes. I still have to add the window wipers ariels and some kind of basic interior. I think the doors will need a bit of work as well

http://www.student.brad.ac.uk/pwbeadle/impreza2wire.jpg

The wireframe

Gilgamesh
03-06-2002, 07:06 AM
The DOF seems a little odd. I think that it might be because the car is the only thing in the scene. I think I would rather be able to see the entire car nice and crisp, with maybe a blurry foreground or background. But the model looks good, so you don't have to take my advice. :)

popnGEAR
03-06-2002, 02:16 PM
The vents aren't shaped like that, they should be rounded at the corners and the front should be narrower than the rear. They are also seprate pieces from the hood. The headlights are too flat. The hood scoop should be larger. Judging from the 22b flared fenders, the car doesn't have a matching 22b hood, but thats' your preference ;).

Your friendly neighbourhood scooby nut,
popnGEAR

JacquesD
03-06-2002, 02:34 PM
Nice car and good modeling.
Where did you get that road texture?:)

DWIEMER
03-06-2002, 02:41 PM
reall nice model. i've got no comments for you, sorry :)
is it going the way like the 206 on this forum?

gr. dwiemer

Dr BeN
03-06-2002, 03:19 PM
hi nice model ! really ,) well i'm on a car model myself (alfa 147;) have you got any resources where to infrom best about car modeling ?!

well now to your image errm .. don't you think that the dof start to quickly ? i mean the whole car is pretty sharp and then in less then .5 cm it goes from sharp to blury ? well yea i understand you like this we can see more of your nice car ;) but if you wan't to give this image a realistic style (i assume some =>DOF) then you should make it like it is ;)

yea i think the road texture is VERY nice ? took it yourself with your digicam !? or from where do you get such highres textures ?

c'Ya

jabusby
03-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

The road texture is from the marvin studios collection (Downtown Surfaces and signs) it was edited a little in photoshop, I will probably use a different one for the final render.

I will work on the DOF, It is a bit shoddy I know, Hopefully my next post will be a little better, I also need some help with the glass, could anyone give me a little advice on this.

Thanks

Jamie

e-mail (jabusby@Hotmail.com)

Dr BeN
03-06-2002, 04:25 PM
hmm well i think the front glass is pretty nice tough ... ehehe but you know what i noticed ? right you can see trough to the back right tire ;) well in the case that you don't want to model the inside i'll say you map a texture on the glass and let it reflect that(like a cloudy sky or sth

even nicer it would look i think if you enlight the whole scene with this image (you know sphere arround) or does LW support HDR ? if so try that i can say those images look so damn ! cool !

ToddD
03-06-2002, 08:41 PM
Hey Jabusby, the model is coming along nicely! I think you should forget the DOF, unless you put somthing in the BR or want to convey movement. 1 thing I think would help, is if you used a lower camera angle, more like we are viewing from ground level, right now it looks like we're looking down at an Radio Controlled toy.:D

BASSit
03-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by jabusby
...The road texture is from the marvin studios collection (Downtown Surfaces and signs)...

I believe he means "Marlin Studios" . . . Here is the link ! (http://www.marlinstudios.com/samples/sampst5.htm)

Now to your work: it really looks great ! Another cam-angle would make a big difference. I am also interested in the settings you´ve used for the car body ! BTW: What package did you use ?

Nice car !!

jabusby
03-06-2002, 09:54 PM
This model has was made using lightwave 7.0 the surface on the body was created in a similar fashion to that of "The Rippers Peugeot 206" by creating a gradient on the incidence angle of both the diffuse and reflection channels. The faint reflection is that of a panoramic sky taken from a "Marlin Studios CD" (spelled it right this time) mapped onto a dome.

The lighting is provided by 74 separate low intensity spotlights approximating the effect of a global illumination setup, only much faster. (Approximately 1000% faster) The sun is simply a spotlight.

I have written some tutorials on the Fake GI rig but had to take them off the web due to space limitations however you can download it from the good people at www.presetcentral.com.

http://www.student.brad.ac.uk/pwbeadle/light-array.jpg

jabusby
03-08-2002, 10:22 PM
Hey back again, Almost finished now the interior is modeled as are the bonet scoops and the new alloys.

http://www.student.brad.ac.uk/apbellam/Impreza_low.jpg

If you want to see a really high res version go to the following link

http://www.student.brad.ac.uk/apbellam/Impreza_high.jpg

Its about 1600 x 1062 and 180KB

iNFERNiS
03-09-2002, 12:11 AM
Wow, coming along nicely!

more tweaking and it looks real!

very nice

JacquesD
03-09-2002, 01:42 AM
Good work, really. :)
Your fake GI works good, the only little problem is that it's not that accurate(tires base shadow) but even if it takes lots of memory for computing shadow maps((size x size) x 3) it's really fast.
Have you tried your fake GI on other complex objects?

I downloaded your 'fake GI' scene from Preset Central and
I did a quick test with 3 different settings and here's the result:
http://users.skynet.be/fa009830//WebPics/Comparaison_000.jpg
As you can see the first pic using your setting works but shadows aren't accurate enough or may be I missed something.
It's definitely faster though.

Keep on the good work.

pinion3d
03-09-2002, 01:45 AM
The models looking pretty sweet. I like you materials on the car and the windshield. A few small more details and I think youre good (wipers, antenna, door handles, or are they shaved?). Oh, the black surfaces seem a little flat looking, maybe some more specularity? Anyway, looks nice keep us posted.
Pinion3d

Dr BeN
03-09-2002, 03:11 PM
hi looks really nice all the reflections ;) .. but why the hack is the steering wheel on the right side from where do you come from ?

;)

jabusby
03-09-2002, 06:39 PM
Hey guys

You can alter the sharpness / accuracy of the fake GI shadows but changing the shadow mapping settings, lower the shadow fuzziness a little and you will get slightly sharper shadows. The best way to alter all the lights at once is to either get a plugin that lets you batch alter the settings or simply open the scene file in word pad and replace all the shadowfuzziness value with the find and replace option.

The reflection on the car is just a half self illuminated sphere positioned on the left hand side of the screen.

I am from England we drive on the left hand side of the road all our cars have steering wheels on the right

Sorry I have a really bad hangover must go get some food the screen is hurting my eyes

:(
:(

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.