PDA

View Full Version : Okay, why does Projection master keep freezing?

ThePumpkinKing
03-12-2006, 01:40 AM
For some reason, after I texture a head model I'm working on in projection master, anjd I try to pick it back up, it freezes. Always. Does anyone know why this is?

NyneDown
03-12-2006, 04:37 AM
Sounds like a memory issue...how much RAM do you have? Also, have you UV unwrapped your head? I know...very vague and basic questions but they may be a factor to your problem.

DaedraLord
03-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a memory issue...how much RAM do you have? Also, have you UV unwrapped your head? I know...very vague and basic questions but they may be a factor to your problem.

i have 512MB RAM, could that be why i cant go above 700,000 (approx.) polies?

Lyr
03-12-2006, 08:00 PM
i have 512MB RAM, could that be why i cant go above 700,000 (approx.) polies?

Yup. You should get as much RAM as you can fit in your computer.

DaedraLord
03-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Yup. You should get as much RAM as you can fit in your computer.ok, i saw a 1GB upgrade costing approxamately $100

that would theoreticly triple my max polly counts right?

EDIT: im still in highschool, so as you could imagine, i dont have alot of money to be throwing around.

Lyr
03-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Well I don't know if it would triple your max polycount. It would give you alot more to work with anyway. Once your mesh goes over 2.5 million polygons you can't subdivide it anymore as Zbrush is hard capped at 10 million polygons.

NyneDown
03-13-2006, 05:12 AM
I also have 512mb of RAM and have no problems "picking up" after projection mode. Have you UV unwrapped your mesh? If not, it's under Tool-> Texture -> GUV Tiles (or AUV Tiles.) Then you'll need to create a new texture map (Texture -> New)...make sure to type in the deminsions you want first, basically whatever you prefer...I'd advise starting out 4096x4096. If you need to scale that map down, you can do it in Photoshop if needed later. After you've done all of that, then you can start painting and what not. If your pc still freezes after "picking up", then I dont know what it could be. Good luck, yO!

btw, it would still be a good idea to upgrade your memory....I only get 600-700k polys before my computer craps out, so I'm getting 1.5 more gigs later this week sometime. But FYI, if your pc allows 4gigs of memory or more...Zbrush wont work with it for some reason. I read that somewhere but it was never explained why it doesnt...but just a heads up so ya dont waste any money.

Lyr
03-13-2006, 06:12 PM
btw, it would still be a good idea to upgrade your memory....I only get 600-700k polys before my computer craps out, so I'm getting 1.5 more gigs later this week sometime. But FYI, if your pc allows 4gigs of memory or more...Zbrush wont work with it for some reason. I read that somewhere but it was never explained why it doesnt...but just a heads up so ya dont waste any money.

It's because windowsXP SUCKS with memory management. XP will only allocate 2gb per process, you can hack it to do 3 but that is it. Even so it will do a very poor job of managing what memory it does give you. It is a real downer that Pixologic hasn't chosen to focus thier development towards more performance oriented OS's like OSX and Linux considering what a RAM hog Zbrush is.

DaedraLord
03-13-2006, 07:57 PM
It's because windowsXP SUCKS with memory management. XP will only allocate 2gb per process, you can hack it to do 3 but that is it. Even so it will do a very poor job of managing what memory it does give you. It is a real downer that Pixologic hasn't chosen to focus thier development towards more performance oriented OS's like OSX and Linux considering what a RAM hog Zbrush is.
is 512 mb ram on a mac better for zbrush than 512 mb ram on windows?

i also dont have any trouble picking up, but the original poster must have like 256mb ram or something.

im gonna have a tough time persuading my mom to let me buy a 1GB ram upgrade... :sad:

(i hate macs though, they are too easy)

Lyr
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
is 512 mb ram on a mac better for zbrush than 512 mb ram on windows?

i also dont have any trouble picking up, but the original poster must have like 256mb ram or something.

im gonna have a tough time persuading my mom to let me buy a 1GB ram upgrade... :sad:

(i hate macs though, they are too easy)

I don't know for sure how 512mb on OSX will compare with 512mb on XP. Honestly I don't know how you would judge the performance of the operating system with so little RAM. I'm not really a hardware guy. I do know that on my OSX box Zbrush will use 4gigs of the 8gigs available, and my XP machine it will only use 3 gigs (it's done using the 3gig switch) of 8 gigs available. Zbrush will use a max of 4gigs, if it's available. On OSX it is, on XP it isn't regardless of it physically bieng there.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.