PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Zmapper Normal Map in Maya

Matatron
03-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi, I've been reading through threads for hours and am pretty lost.

I'm trying to get a decent render from a zmapper generated normal map. I know the output settings have a lot to do with it, but I'm having trouble finding an answer to how to plug the map into a maya shading network. Putting on a bump node and changing the type to tangent space seems to produce poor results. I can't find anything on using mental ray to do it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
-m

Beanmaster
03-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi,

in Maya in the texture under effects set the filter to 0.0 or 0.1. Maybe that helps to solve
problems with seams.

Or do you mean something else with "poor results"?

Greetings, Jörg

Matatron
03-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Hi Jorg,

I'll try the filter, because I am getting bad seams.

Otherwise, what I mean is that it doesn't seem to be picking up all the normal map details and renders with a lot of dark areas.

After I try the filter and a few other tests I'll try to post a render, when I get the energy to dive back into it. :)

-Matt

benclark
03-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Try the JS_Normaliser from Pixero for plugging your normal map into

That will give you much cleaner results than using the bump node in Maya and will allow you to render in Mental Ray

There was a previous post on Zbrushcentral and on this forum about what settings to use in Zmapper. I havent tried them all out yet but you should find some answers

ryankingslien
03-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey guys -

Check out the ZMapper settings here (http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=30858&page=13&pp=15) that emulate Maya's surface sampler utility.

Best,

Ryan

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2006, 11:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.