PDA

View Full Version : Animation: My Robot

Olicam
12-17-2002, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

have you forget my robot ?. i'm just finishing a little animation test with it..
You can view it at this url :

http://mapage.noos.fr/olicam/strange_animation_test.rar

You'll need Divx 5.02 and winrar ..

I post too, somes screens shots of the animation :

http://mapage.noos.fr/olicam/frame1.jpg

http://mapage.noos.fr/olicam/frame2.jpg

http://mapage.noos.fr/olicam/frame3.jpg

http://mapage.noos.fr/olicam/frame4.jpg

Olicam

recon108
12-17-2002, 11:19 AM
I love the animation, smooth and fluid and you get a good sense that the robot is on speed and is super parinoid with a flair for the dramatic. lol Very nice work!

The lighting of the robot doesn't quite seem to match the lighting of the background, the robot looks to be too bright. But other than that it's done very well.

Are you going to be doing any more animations with your robot? I'd love to see him in action again. :applause:

Santana_USA
12-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Wow...

The model is amazing I really like small robots and strange mech, and I really really appreciated your animation it seems u have mixed the manga animation style with a more traditional disney style, oh well this is what it call on my mind back!
Hope to see something more from ths character!
Is the background a photo If your scene is all done in 3D, you can go directly to work in Pixar !!!

santana:applause: :applause: :applause: :beer: :beer:

Olicam
12-17-2002, 02:42 PM
Thanks Guys,

yep, it's an HRDi rendering..
All is done into XSI on my free time at home..
I'm working on another animation test but i think it can't finish before the end of the years.. ( it's time for christmas hollidays !! :) )
If you have any questions about this animation test you can post here, i'll reply quickly..

Olicam

Maximus Groff
12-17-2002, 03:05 PM
Is there something out "free" for maya for rendering at this quality ?

Excellent!

1madlunatik
12-17-2002, 03:39 PM
Now that is kickass animation!!!
I luv it! Wish I could animate like that
Musta taken yonks of tweaking

Gr8 work!! :beer:

Long live the XSI Spirit!! :buttrock:

harmonic01
12-17-2002, 05:39 PM
I luve the anim. The sound matches it so great too.:bounce:

nick_hiatt
12-17-2002, 10:19 PM
looks great ,he needs mores shadow around
his feet to make him appear to really be there

danbran
12-18-2002, 02:30 AM
cool character!! nice poses and movements

db

Olicam
12-18-2002, 08:49 AM
Thanks !.

1madlunatik : if you want making good animations, the only way is... animate a lot evry day !!.

harmonic01 : Thank !. The sound is just for fun, but i think that sound is 50% of a great scene..

Nick_hiatt : You're entierly right.. For the second test i'll make a better rendering with a better shadow .. and a better animation.. :)

Danbran : Thank man. ;)

cuse
12-19-2002, 05:40 PM
this model is cool and i bet the animation is but can you post back as an avi???

:applause:

cant play win thingie whatsimecallitS?

tata

cuse

Olicam
12-19-2002, 05:45 PM
It's an avi.. but you need WINRAR ( www.rarsoft.com ) for uncompress the video and after you need Divx 5.02 ( www.divx.com ) for watching it.. Install theses softwarez.. they are very usefull !
Anyway if you don't want install it, tell me and i upload an mpg..

Olivier

cuse
12-19-2002, 05:52 PM
dont wnt to install upload an mpg :)

can you render a larger image as well???

cuse

Olicam
12-19-2002, 06:21 PM
So...
I'm a good guy..
And you can watch the file here :

http://mapage.noos.fr/olicam/strange_animation_test.mpg

;))

Olicam

stephen2002
12-19-2002, 09:47 PM
nice work. Not much else to say, the movements are well-done.

Steveyola
12-19-2002, 10:26 PM
Decent bot. Good pose. But the lighting is different from the bot and the area in the background. That's not a modeled scene back there is it? Could I see a wireframe please.
;)

Olicam
12-20-2002, 08:20 AM
Yea a problem exist about that.. But it's because i have made this rendering just for fun.. The animation is most important for me in this test... The for the next test the background will be modeled entierely..
Here a wireframe of the robot :

http://mapage.noos.fr/olicam/robot_wire.jpg

cuse
12-20-2002, 08:57 AM
i like this model more and more each time i see it... would love more animations... :)

and the mpg was fantastic, awesome thank you very much... you have a great movement and style on this guy... any chance of a LAAARGE render for wallpaper :)

:applause::airguitar :applause:

cuse

g3n
12-20-2002, 09:06 AM
whoo nice animation and model. really cool movements and sound to. good work m8 :applause:

Olicam
12-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Ok i'll make a wall paper .. and post it here.. :)

Olivier

Olicam
12-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Merry Christmas !

http://mapage.noos.fr/olicam/olicam_wall_paper.jpg

cuse
12-20-2002, 11:25 AM
oooohhh sexy

:D

thank you

cuse

Raji
12-20-2002, 05:55 PM
well i have to say i like the design of the robot is great and the render looked fine to me. I didn't check to see if the lighting matched the background, but even if i did, it's not my field of expertise so my opinion wouldn't count for much i think. :) The screenshot of the character in the UI looks great, i liked what you've done with him

here's my critique on the animation. Don't know if you're going to take the time to go back on this animation since this *is* the Gallery/Finished work, but "for the next time", here's what i have to suggest.

His landing is great. Very good feeling of weight there. Good job on that. After that, i felt unfulfilled by the way he pulled out his gun and the pose that followed that. For the gun, create a stronger arc for the motion of pulling it out of his back... In other words, just lift up his arm more in the passing position between the point where his hand is reaching for the gun and the point where he has it out. It will make the pull *much* more effective visually. Second, the pose that followed was, in my opinion, a *liiitte* too exaggerated. I would lift up his hips to make it look a little more natural. The main thing that bothered me in that pose was his right arm and fingers. To make that pose stronger, i would suggest moving it behind his right knee. Also, it looks like you either forgot or ignored posing the fingers on his right hand. They need to be more spread out than they are now.

Then when he passes to the next pose (pointing the gun to the left of the camera), i like the pose, but i'm not crazy about the transition between the two. Try to make that transition stronger. Play around with different transitions and see what works best. The one you have right now seems a bit weak.

Finally, i really find that "karate" move before he jumps off screen an unnecessary choice. The first time i saw it, i couldn't really read it well, but by the second time i understood that you were anticipating him jumping off the screen. Since this is supposed to be just another anticipation to a jump, keep it simple. I love the way he jumps off screen. It feels almost as if you had him stretch (as in scaling his mesh from squash and stretch) and it would be a shame to take away from that by putting too much emphasis on the anticipation.

Other than those few things, this is some really tight animation. Very clean and fluid like everyone else here said.

Great job

Raji

Olicam
12-20-2002, 06:33 PM
Raji,

your critics are very interesting and i think for the next time i follow somes of your suggestions.. . :beer:
But i'm not ok with you, when you write :

"karate" move before he jumps off screen an unnecessary choice"

yes, that could be simpler but the "karate aniticipation" is a little more humoristic and impressive at screen.. I think a good animation must not only clean, natural and fluid but it must be FUN too !. Somes animators forget that.. They made very good animations, very clean but tedious for the witness ... .
But i can anderstand that with your animator's eyes, this pose is nan unnecessary choice.. . So it's my thing, maybe i'm wrong but now you know why i've choice this pose .. ;)

But i agree totaly with U about the "arc" and the fingers.. I searching a good solution for a fingers's control esay and clean.. if you somes tips for that, they are welcome.. :)

Olicam

Raji
12-20-2002, 07:09 PM
Olicam, you're right the karate move is a personal choice and i think that's great. I was just mentionning it because i felt it was hard to read visually at first. I think i'm the only one who couldn't read it though, so i don't think you have much to worry about! :thumbsup:

as for the finger controls on your character, i don't know of any particular rig that would make things simpler if that's what you meant. I'm used to the old FK rig on fingers where you just have to pose everything one by one until you get it the way you want.

Raji

squidinc
12-20-2002, 08:31 PM
really nice animation,I watched it 5 or 6 times :thumbsup:, I hope to be at this level someday :bounce:

mexus
12-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Good work.
There are a couple of things that should be looked at more closely. As the character lands, his right leg seems to shift and rotate almost through the plane. The shadows are quite good, and the animation works.

I am not satisfied with the antic of the character. I believe instead of making the character look down with his head ( before the jump ), try having him look the direction that he is jumping to. The audience has time to digest the pose before the take off.

Good Work again!
My name is Erwin and I am just beginning 3d. I am a graphic designer and am learning Maya at Applied Multimedia Training Centres in Calgary.:bounce:

Olicam
12-20-2002, 09:14 PM
Hi Mexus,

"his right leg seems to shift and rotate almost through the plane"
Yes i have a problem with the setup of my hand.. it's more complex than we can think.. :)

" believe instead of making the character look down with his head ( before the jump ), try having him look the direction that he is jumping to."
Good thing but it's just a question of feeling about the signification of the action.. . If the character look down, the surprise is much better, if the character look in the direction of the jump you know what the end of the motion before the end of it.. It's good too but it's just a choice..

:)

Olicam

mexus
12-20-2002, 09:52 PM
well said.

Either way... great character modelling, showing character through the model and animation is interesting. Is there a studio that you work with?

Olicam
12-21-2002, 09:16 PM
Hello, yea i'm working for Esteban Productions ( Paris, France ). :)

Olicam

QuantumPixel
12-22-2002, 08:46 AM
I had a little problem with veiwing your animation test it sucks to have to download a win rar file O well I gues I will just have to miss out.

www.boygonemad.com

Olicam
12-22-2002, 09:52 AM
Boygonemad, you need winrar and, you must install the divx codec 5.02 ( the last ) before triyng to view the video..
The video uncompressed is 5 mo.. but with winrar it's only 2 mo..
That the raison why.. :)

QuantumPixel
12-22-2002, 07:47 PM
you are right I will do that. I rilly want to see that robot moving around just from the stills it looks like you got some rilly nice pose to pose animation so I will be talking to you soon

Olicam
12-22-2002, 09:21 PM
Thank boygonemad.. :)
what do you want talking about ?.

Vladvrz
12-23-2002, 12:24 PM
The background is not modeled is it. I thought you mentioned it was earlier in this thread? No wonder wireframes were not shown------------
:shame:
:shame:
Decent bot,not too spectacular,but good. The aniamtion is done well enough. Just needs a little more everything. The environment needs real time models,the animation a little more fun,and the model some more details. A overall good work,but just needs more of everything to become very good. Keep up the effort,a little more and you are there.

:)

Olicam
12-23-2002, 12:41 PM
Thank Vladvrz..
ye i'm working hard ti become very good and not only good.. :)
I know that possible only with a lot of work as everyone..
After the holydys , i'll post here new animation with a modeled background.. :)

Olicam.

Ps: have you a website or an email ?.

Olicam
12-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Just a last thing..
I think it's not because models have a lot of details that they are good models..

Olicam

mexus
01-07-2003, 02:37 AM
Actually, who looks down before jumping? Regardless of the anticipation, it looks mediocre. Needs work.

unrealwarfare
02-04-2003, 06:05 PM
fluid animation, good model

great

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.