PDA

View Full Version : who works with XSI?

dmonk
03-05-2002, 04:59 AM
I beginning to research for potential jobs and all I see is Maya and 3dstudio Max. Which companies work in XSI/softimage. My school teaches on softimage. I'm willing to learn other packages but will employers take that into consideration if they see potential or would they rather deal with someone who has more experiance with the package they work with.

An example:
Say me and John Doe walk in for interviews we both have good demo reels but mine is better. What happens if Joe knows Maya and 3d studiomax and I only know XSI? Would I just be sh*t outta luck?

dmonk
03-05-2002, 05:01 AM
Oh and does anyone know of any 3d places in Philadelphia?

machuc
03-05-2002, 05:24 AM
The software is just a tool, your talent is what is important.

I-m sure that if ur good in XSI you could switch to Maya or any other program without trouble in no time.

of course, knowing several 3d progs would be a plus :D

underdog
03-05-2002, 06:19 AM
For the most part your talent is what gets you hired. But it can also depend on the size of the company sometimes as well. A small company may not have the time or money to train you on a new program, in such a case you may be s*&t outa luck.

Jin3D
03-05-2002, 07:08 AM
dmonk, it's likely that if your applying in a big studio talent will get you the job, in the other and if your applying to some small studio talent and software knowledge might get you the job.

If I were you I'd start to learn maya, you'll see that maya is very easy to learn if you know XSI. I guess someone was a little inspired when they wrote their software ;)

Good luck

SheepFactory
03-05-2002, 09:52 AM
it also works the other way around , i found xsi a pleasure to work with after maya.

maya's UI and workflow is much more complicated (not always a good thing)

A|i

dmonk
03-05-2002, 06:05 PM
I use my friends student version of maya for practice and I just can't stand it compared to XSI not that it's not a great package. The main concepts are the same. I guess it's just because the UI has Icons something about that is just aggrevating.
(take no offense Maya users, you guys do great work.)

wlau
03-06-2002, 08:12 AM
Yeah, it all comes down to preference.

I really enjoy working in XSI simply because its workflow feels right for myself.

Maya's is at times needlessly overwhelming and cluttered. Then again, that is just my opinion.

Another thing is I don't like having to implement xx number of mel scripts just to have a more dynamic 3D animation program.

I know Maya designed itself to be open-ended like that and allow for expansion through mel, but it's a hassle sometimes and you get to the point wishing that it was implemented originally by A|W.

Yep, XSI's UI rocks =)

wlau

Null_
03-06-2002, 08:03 PM
You might consider the fact that XSI is still a very young product, and therefore not as widely spread as some others. I believe that Soft, quite “soon”, will retake a large amount of the market they’ve lost… witch mean that more companies will use/ask for XSI users…

But in the end it all comes down to your artistic skill (for the employer) and what tool you are comfortable with (for yourself)

…Just my 2 cents

Apoclypse
03-06-2002, 09:14 PM
I agree with null. I think by version 3.0 XSI will rival and surpass maya. ( actually it already does in some areas, e.g. subdivision modelling, and rendring ofcourse). Only thing I don't happen to like is the particle system ( if you use maya you can notice quite difference, I happen to like the hardware render buffer, evn though shaows and stuff aren't available, but it does make sense for particle animation becuase of the speed. ) Anyway, the point is XSI is a great package that I think soon will be taking over Like maya did. It's young, new, hip, and powerful. ( I just learned how to convert my current mr shaders to XSI, complicated as hell but overall an interesting method).

P.S.
is it possible to script my own hardware render buffer?

jazzthief
03-10-2002, 01:22 PM
Which school are you attending in NJ that's teaching XSI. Your school should provide Softimage fx studios to comeby for recruiting.

Considering XSI is so new and there isn't too many talentbase in the East coast. There could be demand for XSI artists. But then again, Maya has been around for abit. And the talent pool is wealthy for studios to pickup. Also with this current market climate not too many shops wants to change their pipeline. Unless they were Softimage devotees.

Either way, if you're comfortable with XSI then stick with it. If the job market in your area is flooded with Maya/ 3dsmax opening. It's time to pick-up another package to pay the bills and eat.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.