PDA

View Full Version : Mask Environment channel?

tcastudios
03-11-2006, 11:17 AM
I think it is not possible but I have to ask if there is a solution...
Using Reflection I can add a texture/shader that sets the amount of reflection.
So for instance a rusty part of a object does not reflect.

I like to use the Environment in many cases as it adds more options to treat the result.
But, is there any way of doing the same as in the reflection channel. So far I have missed how to mask specific areas on the object not to show environment.

Cheers
Lennart

tcastudios
03-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Looks as using a separate Material using the "rustpart" as alpha might be a solution.

Cheers
Lennart

AdamT
03-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Sure it's possible with one material--works the same as in the reflection channel. Use Fusion or Layer shader to mask the region you don't want enviro-mapped. Anything that's black won't show the environment.

tcastudios
03-11-2006, 02:13 PM
eh..ok. Would that involve a ProjectorShader as well (for the mask part)? I'm looking into it right now but..don't get there really...all I put in there becomes a part of the environment, and thus aren't "stuck" to the parts of the object.

Cheers
Lennart

AdamT
03-11-2006, 02:35 PM
eh..ok. Would that involve a ProjectorShader as well (for the mask part)? I'm looking into it right now but..don't get there really...all I put in there becomes a part of the environment, and thus aren't "stuck" to the parts of the object.

Cheers
Lennart
It depends on your mapping I suppose. I mean, if you're using UVW mapping Projector shouldn't be necessary. Maybe you could post a screenshot or something?

tcastudios
03-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi Adam, this is a very simplified example, in the attachment. The actuall objects are under NDA but in essense they are vehicles similar to old cars that rusts around doors and hatches. As of now I try to paint alphas in BP (for the second material) but it doesn't realy help that I cant see what I paint in the alpha channel....and having the first material active realy mess up what I see in BP...

Please let me now if you can get what you see in the attached scene but put in one material.And if possible have the masking done in the environment channel

Cheers
Lennart

vid2k2
03-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi Lennart,

Is this what you're after ?

HTH,
David

AdamT
03-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately you don't have the same alpha options in the Layer and Fusion shaders that you have in the alpha channel (e.g., premultiplied, image, etc.). This is as close as I could get with a single material:

tcastudios
03-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks. Either way is doable then but complicated (to get controll of it)as it seems. Since I'm trying to get into BP I'll see how far I'll get with "regular" layers.

Cheers
Lennart

AdamT
03-11-2006, 04:57 PM
FWIW, in BP I usually paint alpha channels in the color channel of a separate material--so you can see what you're doing. When you're done painting, save the texture and add it to your material's alpha channel.

tcastudios
03-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Good tip.

Cheers
Lennart

Srek
03-11-2006, 06:05 PM
FWIW, in BP I usually paint alpha channels in the color channel of a separate material--so you can see what you're doing.
Or choose "Display selected channel" from the Edit menu. Thias way the selected material channel will be shown as if it were the color channel.
Cheers
Björn

tcastudios
03-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks again. That also helps. I still have problem thou with multiple materials active on the object but right now it's more of finding the tools/settings/options etc..
They all seem to be there, just not at the fingertips just yet. Even the default BP layouts need to be slightly altered as I find things to use/edit.
The main task is actually to make a good UV mapping based upon the the task being done.
Then it is (more or less) a walk in the park....

Cheers
Lennart

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2006, 09:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.