PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Occlusion with transparency map

AdrianLazar
03-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi guys!
Is there a way to setup the render tree so that the ambient occlusion takes in consideration the transparency map from the shader?
Thanks!

neods
03-11-2006, 01:24 PM
I think there is a way, but a easier way is to use FG_OCCULSION see these (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/harry.bardak/TDlove2006.htm) documents about it. As the occulsion is made with finalgathering it will understand the transperency.

AnIm
03-14-2006, 12:38 PM
simply connect AO shader to your Phong/lambert/constant/... shaders diffuse color port, and transparency map to transparency port and everything should behave correctly, don't forget to set alpha in AOshader's Dark color to 1, it of course depends on what you want to achieve

wurp
03-14-2006, 01:13 PM
not sure about that, as far as I know the occlusionshader in xsi doesnt support transparency at all, try the fg_occlusion that was mentioned, its pretty good.

simply connect AO shader to your Phong/lambert/constant/... shaders diffuse color port, and transparency map to transparency port and everything should behave correctly, don't forget to set alpha in AOshader's Dark color to 1, it of course depends on what you want to achieve

AnIm
03-14-2006, 01:34 PM
not sure? try it
I'm just taking grayscale occlusion map from AO shader and passing it as color map to any other shader
then driving transparency of that shader
it works perfectly for me

fgOcclusion is good, i just wanted to give you AO sollution

Cometsoft
03-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Anim is right. I was curious and tried it too. Did it with a mix two color with ambient/lambert on one and a transparent blinn on another. Used a weight map to separate the mix.

not sure? try it
I'm just taking grayscale occlusion map from AO shader and passing it as color map to any other shader

wurp
03-14-2006, 03:37 PM
nah it doesnt work, I've tried it now

if you mean that the transparency itself works then you are right, but the actual AO shader does not take into account the transparency, normally the "shadow" caused by the occlusion would start to fade/become gray when you make the object more transparent but thats not the case with the built-in occlusion shader.

not sure? try it

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2006, 03:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.