PDA

View Full Version : Newbie tutorial on adding edge loops?

Arvetis
03-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm sort of a newbie at character modeling, and I'm having a real hard time keeping my models all-quads. I just don't conceptually understand how to take a low-detail model and add rings of detail to it without screwing everything else up. Is there a decent tutorial online somewhere on the basic techniques of this method?

NyneDown
03-11-2006, 07:02 PM
The only useful one I've found is this one: http://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorials/polymodeling/index.html

But that's just for a head, for the body....just remember to add edge-loops to the areas where you want to define muscle regions. Study how the body moves....just stand up (or sit down) and move the various parts of your body and watch how they bend and flex. Take note of that and apply it to your 3d models when adding those loops. That's the only useful advice I can give to ya in a nutshell man...Good luck ;)

Arvetis
03-11-2006, 07:26 PM
The only useful one I've found is this one: http://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorials/polymodeling/index.html

But that's just for a head, for the body....just remember to add edge-loops to the areas where you want to define muscle regions. Study how the body moves....just stand up (or sit down) and move the various parts of your body and watch how they bend and flex. Take note of that and apply it to your 3d models when adding those loops. That's the only useful advice I can give to ya in a nutshell man...Good luck ;)

Thanks. I found a video tutorial about box-modeling a head in Max, but he doesn't explain his thought process at all - he just cuts here, welds there, and voila! A head. Not very useful to a beginner. I'll see if this one you gave me helps.

Edit: Is there a way in Max to replicate the "remove hanging vertices" function described in this tutorial, leaving only the verts at intersections? Hitting delete in Max, naturally, just deletes the vertices, and "remove isolated vertices" only gets rid of verts not attached to anything.

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2006, 07:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.