PDA

View Full Version : NEW Tutorial up!

bugzilla
03-10-2006, 08:37 PM
I posted another video tutorial. This one is not about Motion Mixer. It covers some problems I had when first animating characters in LW. I hope it will solve some problems for any of you out there having problems manipulating child items and bones in characters. You can find it here:

http://www.digital-sorcery.com/goodies.htm

Hope this is informative.

Carm3D
03-11-2006, 02:47 AM
It looks to me like you are doing it the hard way. Take a look at this scene file (attached). No pivot recording going on, no quarternion boosting. Just a small bone with no strength to reset the rotation for it's children each time a bone group goes off in a different direction.

Sure it's old-school, but it's rock solid. No way something will "happen" and screw the rig or animation up.

bugzilla
03-12-2006, 04:57 PM
It looks to me like you are doing it the hard way. Take a look at this scene file (attached). No pivot recording going on, no quarternion boosting. Just a small bone with no strength to reset the rotation for it's children each time a bone group goes off in a different direction.

Sure it's old-school, but it's rock solid. No way something will "happen" and screw the rig or animation up.

Thanks for attaching that scene. I tried it out last night, but I still get the weird rotation problems when I make keyframes for child bones in Local coordinate system. I know that Parent system will interpolate the keyframes the way I want. The problem with using that is that in parent system, the rotation handles spin with the bone and eventually you can't rotate it the way you want (gimbal lock?), so I use Local system when I can because I can always rely on where the rotation handles line up. You seem to know alot about this. Any ideas about this?

WillCameron
03-12-2006, 06:09 PM
bugzilla, some of the MotionMixer tutorials are backwards to their links - ie tutorial 3 links to video 1 - which incidentally is apparently missing....

- Will.

PentamiterBeast
03-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I still get the weird rotation problems when I make keyframes for child bones in Local coordinate system. I know that Parent system will interpolate the keyframes the way I want. The problem with using that is that in parent system, the rotation handles spin with the bone and eventually you can't rotate it the way you want (gimbal lock?), so I use Local system when I can because I can always rely on where the rotation handles line up. You seem to know alot about this. Any ideas about this?

You'll always get this somewhere or other unless you plan for it in advance using your rig. The LW graphs are always stored using the paretn co-ords, and you cant change that. If you look at your grpahs after you get the ol 180 flip when using local, you'll notice that you can reset the problem frame back up in line with previous frames, that's one way around the problem. The second is to use a second bone in the chain at the ame pivot point, so as you have two bones controlling that particular joint, with their axis resting at right angle to each other, though this can get messy if you're no great at handling whole sets of keyframes together. The third option, which works for ost things is to arrange the rotation axis of the bones correctly in the first place. You'll notice that rotating on H takes the P and B axis along with it, rotating on P only takes the B axis, and rotating on B goes solo, ofsetting both the other axis. Lining bones up so as the necessary two axis of rotation line up with the way the bone will be rotated sorts it out as well, if u get my drift.

Carm3D
03-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks for attaching that scene. I tried it out last night, but I still get the weird rotation problems when I make keyframes for child bones in Local coordinate system. I know that Parent system will interpolate the keyframes the way I want. The problem with using that is that in parent system, the rotation handles spin with the bone and eventually you can't rotate it the way you want (gimbal lock?), so I use Local system when I can because I can always rely on where the rotation handles line up. You seem to know alot about this. Any ideas about this?

I never animate in local mode. I think it could be considered a bad habit. I always work in Parent mode. Once in a while, I'll switch to global mode when editing IK Nulls.

Carm3D
03-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Here is another rig to look at.

Pay special attention to the upper arm joint. You'll notice that the IK is broken up into two bones, one does heading and another does pitch. This makes it impossible for any bone to spin around when the pitch is rotated more than 90 degrees.

bugzilla
03-13-2006, 03:52 AM
bugzilla, some of the MotionMixer tutorials are backwards to their links - ie tutorial 3 links to video 1 - which incidentally is apparently missing....

- Will.

I'll have to look into that. I recently lost alot of files on my website and had to elink some of the pages. That's probably when the problems occured.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2006, 03:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.