PDA

View Full Version : Character: Praying Mantis

Nikko
12-17-2002, 01:27 AM
This was my final project for a 3DS Max 1 class I just finished. The class started August 26, 2002, and before that I only played with Max for about a month or so, using some of the tutorials that came with it and a book I bought for Max 3. Prior to this my only 3D modeling has been done with Zbrush, which has a very cool but completely different approach.

All done in Max 4.2, box modelled with MeshSmooth at 2 iterations, my first time making textures for a model, done in PS7 after unwrapping with Texporter. The WIP thread is located here. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31372&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

Comments and suggestions for improvement would be welcomed: the ones I received from the WIP thread were invaluable to the completion of this project. Thanks for looking:wavey:

http://home.neo.rr.com/nikko/images/Mantis35AltMax5Render1.jpg

n0s4r2
12-17-2002, 02:05 AM
That's pretty damn good. From what you said you have done well. My only suggestion is the background might be a touch too blurry.:thumbsup:

janhath
12-17-2002, 02:42 AM
Nice,looks realgood. Background is too blurry,but what counts really is the Praying mantis,that's real nicely done. Texporter is a good product. Well done.:applause:

stickyblue
12-17-2002, 05:15 AM
wow it looks like a Nvidia demo hehe , great job ! :thumbsup:

Norb
12-17-2002, 06:25 AM
put some displacement on that rock, it's too smooth

mawashi
12-17-2002, 07:21 AM
I hate insects, particularly the big ones like this mantis you got here, so my opinion maybe biased.

It looks so damn cool! :eek: hehehe

If I have to say something, it's the same like others here have said, the background is a bit too blurry, and the rock is too smooth.

Great work! (And you just started to use Max on August? Dang...)

Bobski
12-17-2002, 08:03 AM
Yeh nice effort fella, good texturing, with no texture stretching!
The only thing i will comment on though is the creature is very symetrical in its pose, and looks slightly unatural resting on the rock. Try to think of poses that would make the composition more interesting like perhaps it washing one of its frontlegs or maybe its standing on its back legs poised to attack.
The other thing that could pehaps be nice is some shadowing from a fern or plant leafs, that would give the image more depth.
Lighting is also crucial to the staging of ur character and u should consider what kinda mood u want to project. At the moment the mantis appears to have quite alot of ambient light although there is a shadow on the rock, don't be afraid to get some more contrast on the creature with larger shadows, perhaps do a close up shot of the head and try to make it very contrasty with both light and dark sides playing against each other.
Anyway i have rambled on enuff. good luck wid that and look forward to seeing sum more!

Bob!

verti
12-17-2002, 08:48 AM
i would work a little bit more on the lighting and dof...

v.

tkay
12-17-2002, 11:08 AM
Tweak the symmetry, dof and the stone surface (dirt, grain...) and thatīs it!

impending
12-17-2002, 05:30 PM
Hi Nikko,

It's obvious you've spent your time well while learning Max !!
The mantis is the coolest insect to ever walk the earth. Very well done - nice attention to detail !!!

jd

g3n
12-17-2002, 06:23 PM
looking very good, i have never tryed to make textures for characters.. do you know any good page with some info about for example UVW unwrap? :) keep up the good work.

Nikko
12-17-2002, 07:26 PM
Thanks to you all for the observations, suggestions, and compliments! :beer:

Impending, I've always been fascinated by them, but have only seen a few in the wild, my whole life. This final project, "Make a Bug," was my chance to have one of my very own, although along the way I was wishing I'd chosen an easier bug to make! I'm glad I didn't, because I learned quite a bit during the process. :bounce:

g3n, just do a search at http://www.google.com/ , type in UVW Unwrap, and you'll get plenty of information. UVW Unwrap is an excellent modifier but I chose to use Texporter(also found through Google) because of the cleaner lines(with no vertexes) and blacked-out background displayed in the alpha channel. For a slightly more thorough explanation with examples of the body texture and the alpha I was describing, go HERE. (http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=98519178&f=9601904871&m=6341965306&p=3) (my name's Danny)

nick_hiatt
12-17-2002, 09:18 PM
nice work

arjun
12-17-2002, 11:07 PM
All that in a few months?? Wow, maybe I should take a class!
The bug looks a bit too contrasting with the background, but I think if you just made the background a tad less blurry it would be awesome. Great job! :applause:

Grub
12-17-2002, 11:26 PM
Superb work Nikko, well done! :thumbsup:

Soljarag
12-18-2002, 04:21 AM
picture looks great :beer:

on the wip form you said you did it for a class... what class was it
for?

alex_m1s1n_user
12-18-2002, 06:45 AM
there is something not quite right in that pic, i think you should add a depth to field, since that incect is small, and a funny lense is used, and try adding a glow to the high temperature areas so it creates that lense effect. otherwise looks awsome

wiklander
12-18-2002, 07:42 AM
Looks really nice...

only thing I can say that hasn't been said already is that I think the legs look a bit plastic.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.