PDA

View Full Version : cartoon texture switching

nanimator
03-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi

I need to create a character where facial expressions are going to be switching textures. What I need to know is how I can set up a character so I can turn one texture off and replace it with another one.

So when the chacter is smiling I'll have a smile texture on it, and when the character is sad I'll have a simple frown texture on it.

I'm trying to use the condition node but so far I can only switch between 2 textures how could I increase this to incorporate a wider range of mouth expressions?

Any Ideas?

You can have a look at character on my blog

http://projectgremlin.blogspot.com/

ashishdantu
03-11-2006, 05:00 AM
hi nanimator,

i have attached the file, hav a luk at it ..its with a shader applied to the sphere and the control cirlce has attribute on it called EXP : smile, frown, angry, laugh

now i have a lambert shader whose color is fed with a ramp.. now i have four > 2d textures feeding into each of the color entries of the ramp ( the idea being that u can plug in as many as u want.. ) and now u keep driving the color entries of the ramp, based on the attribute u selected, through an expression..

you can view the expression and edit it, for each new entry u want.. just go through it, and i hope it is clear to get u an idea.. u can change it to make each of the 2d texture to show up .... now the order of my ramp is > checker (smile), fractal (frown), noise (angry) & grid (laugh).. so u can plugin ur own file textures of ur expressions ..into the ramp..

hope it helps.. n if u have any doubts, shoot, i'd be glad to help..

btw: this is just one way of doing, it. anybody,,.... if it can be done more simpler, i'd like to know..

edit: actually u can also have a single file texture node feeding into the color of the ur shader.....and setup the exp to just keep switching between ur texture node's input files..

using >> "AEassignTextureCB file1.fileTextureName "exp1.jpg" "image";" >> just keep changing the file name from exp1.jpg to exp2.jpg ... shud work also .....

-rgds,

darkjedi1929
03-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Or....you could use the tri switch node, which, I believe offers the same functionality....

On second thoughts, stick with the method Ashish told you. It's much more easier and straightforward.

sabusomu
03-17-2006, 12:47 PM
good one ashish,
i know two other methods that i used while working on a different project. I used layered texture and switched from one to another with expressions. this one worked for me

the other one i did is simply create 3 set or more of face for brows, eyes and mouth. now u can have ur texture files linked to each of them and use u and v translation to change the texture. now this one works good but makes the file quiet heavy. but it gives lotsa variations.

Buexe
03-17-2006, 01:52 PM
yo,

I also have an approach to this: )
I created a series of mimic textures and numbered them like

mimic.1.tif
mimic.2.tif
mimic.3.tif

and so on. Now you can use it as an image sequence on your file texture node
and animate the frameExtension attribute ( with stepepd interpolation ). I created a shelf with icons of my mouth shapes and commands to switch between them.
cheers
b

ashishdantu
03-18-2006, 04:42 AM
hi sabusomu / Buexe,

gud to learn ur methods too.. lots of ideas !!

i agree.. that texture UV shift is a nice one !! and the image sequence thing is also gud.. but may be a bit heavy on the app... to load each image when ever change is fired ?

but may not be noticable.. and i've put up a page about that attribute and firing something based on its change.. etc......here > FmFA Method (dantuashish.tripod.com/Maya/FmFA.html) pls check and give me feedback..

cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2006, 04:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.