PDA

View Full Version : SharpConstruct for Windows

TripleDDesigner
03-10-2006, 03:12 PM
There is fianally a semi stable port of sharpconstruct for windows.
Here is the link to the main page (http://sharp3d.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page)for info on the project.

This is a direct link to the installer. (http://www.christltimon.de/sharpconstruct/setup-sharpConstruct-0.11+-nightly-20060307.exe)
You also need these libraries for it to run.
gtk+win32-runtime 2.8 (http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/modules/wfdownloads/visit.php?cid=12&lid=86)
gtkmm 2.8 (http://www.mapr.ucl.ac.be/%7Egustin/win32_ports/binaries/gtkmm-runtime-2.8.3-1.exe)

SharpConstruct is an open source brush based modeling program (similar to Z-brush or Maya's sculpt mesh tools). I played around with it some and I could take a model to over half a milllion poygons with no noticeable drop in speed. You can load your own brushes as grayscale images and can yse them with any of the tools.

Parts that are still in development are importing/export modules, integration with the Gimp, Displacement map creation, and many speed enhancements.

Please at least try it and post your feelings. The more feedback the developers get the better the program will be in the end.

iluvgfx
03-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Much appreciated(Been waiting for a while for windows version). I just downloaded the files and will post to the Bugtracker if I find any bugs.

DarkMantid
03-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Simply Awesome

Im a zbrush owner, and i have to say this is getting off to a great start !

importing objs can be a bit flakey at times , but its already got some solid features : tablet pressure sensitivity move / draw / pinch / smooth brushes , mirrored strokes

Id say grab the installer and have a play then post some bugs / feedback!

post stuff here

http://sharp3d.sourceforge.net/punbb/viewforum.php?id=2

support open source software !

:)

kursad_pileksuz
03-11-2006, 09:48 PM
I could not run this on linux. I hope windows version will work flawless.

--After testign it, i can tell you that this is very good start and it is very encouraging. Exciting news for open source community.

StuManFu
03-12-2006, 05:05 PM
It is amazingly fast.

If all you want to do is paint displacement and export the hi-res object afterwards then this may do.

None of the sophistication of ZBrush yet but good enough for basic stuff and certainly one to watch for the future.

LoTekK
03-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Hmm. After installing GTK and gtkmm (the versions linked on the download page), SharpConstruct installed, but I can't seem to run it. When I start it up, I get an error box saying that libgobject-2.0-0.dll can't be found, and that reinstalling may fix the problem. Needless to say, reinstalling didn't fix it. Any ideas?

kees
03-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Any ideas?

Restart your computer.

-Kees

LoTekK
03-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Restart your computer.

-Kees
Doh! :banghead: That did it, thanks.

Damn my crappy OGL performance, though (integrated intel 915). At 60k it was barely useable. :(

ambient-whisper
03-12-2006, 08:35 PM
im really glad that this thread was made. i never knew of this application so its nice to be made aware. it really seems like the developer is going in the right direction with many things in there. props to that. its obviousely still early, but im sure itll evolve into a very nice application in the future.

MDuffy
03-13-2006, 04:26 AM
I was unable to get this program to run under Linux since it is looking for libpangocairo, and I can't find that for FC4 anywhere. Pango 1.8 is the latest version in the yum repositories, and it sounds like building pango from scratch is a pain in the butt. Does SharpConstruct really need Cairo functionality to run? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Michael Duffy

ThomasMahler
03-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Yeah, this looks really promising. Already has a nice and clean feeling to it. I'm currently having some trouble with my tablet keys (the camera seems to freak out if I want to tumble or track), but all in all, it looks neato. Gotta test this one thoroughly.

Edit: Hmmm, I thought this thing happend because I didn't restart, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the camera code and my tablet - it seems that RMB and MMB are swapped and the camera goes crazy everytime I want to adjust it with my tablet. Works fine with the mouse though.

Frank Lake
03-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm glad that this made it over to these forums! Hopefully your professional feedback will help this highschooler get a head start in programming.

Personally I hope that it's win version gets hammered out so, because it's gonna be a great bit of additive software to other opensource 3D progs like Blender. :buttrock:

skyPhyr
03-13-2006, 10:37 AM
For the gentoo users out there there is an ebuild for sharpconstruct and a couple of dependencies that aren't in portage yet at http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-435759.html

This looks really promising.

Cheers,

Alan.

kursad_pileksuz
03-13-2006, 01:32 PM
The size and opacity of the brush is affected by wacom pressure at the same time. It would be great to have an option to adjust that.

Kaszub
03-17-2006, 09:42 AM
I hope that some skilled OS X programmer will join SharpConstruct team soon... It looks like very promising free alternative to zbrush for some tasks :)

NeptuneImaging
03-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Okay, I just downloaded all of the neccessary components, but I can't install SharpConstruct at all. I keep getting the error, "Could not find gtk+ installation and I installed on my pc first. What gives?

victor throe
03-17-2006, 12:56 PM
aw man

i howled with laughter at the first image in their gallery

mahaha

joie
03-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Looks cool, someone must make a video tutorial or sneak-peak of this program, itīll surelly rock.

chrisWhite
03-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I'd love to see it in action, I'm going to try to play with it over the weekend.

joie
04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Hey, Iīve using it for a couple of minutes and is great.

Itīs simplicity is his main goal, I love Zbrush but I hate its interface, SharpConstruct seems to be the way to go, Iīm really excited with this program, hope they keep developing it.

:)

steveblake
05-31-2006, 09:30 AM
I've tried this several times recently and it's great fun to use, however the level of subdivision is fairly low (compared to Zbrush) and it regularly crashes after 20-30 mins use, bringing my PC to a crawl (i'm using windows)

Shame, since it has a lot of potential. I'm hoping later versions willl fix these problems.

curious...anyone had any luck generating normal and/or displacement maps somehow?

Apoclypse
05-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Used it on Ubuntu, which thankfully the devs provide packages for. Just a download and install and I was up and running. I wasn't all that excited to see that one of the summer of code projects for blender is porting or intergarting this app into blender itself. I think espresso is really great and easy to use and with proper cross-platform support for pytab we might have something cool. However if Sharpconstruct is half as good as espresso in terms of interface then it will rock and blender just got a whole lot cooler. Great app and ti moves pretty quick, the last time i saw this thing it was called sharp3d and the ui was in need of some gnome hig love.

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2006, 12:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.