PDA

View Full Version : Newbie selection Help

Trambott
12-17-2002, 12:50 AM
Hello,
I have been having a rather difficult time trying to acheive something rather simple and hopefully one of you can help.
What I am trying to do is make a selection shape of something similar to a cresent moon, however being a photoshop newbie doesn't really help, and I am having a bitch of time trying to do this. I have been "trying" to go about this by adding/subtracting/boolening, the circle marquee tool, but am finding that this way is rather difficult to achieve a smooth curved line, and have come to the conclusion there must be and easier way about it. Have tryed the lasso and majic tool but can't seem to get the results that i want(not smooth enough).
I was wondering if there was some sort of beizer handle controllers or something so as one can minipulate a straight line into a curved line as this is how i would go about it using a 3d proggy. Anyhow any suggestions or a link to a good tute that explains this well would be much appricated.
Thanks in advance

Ian Jones
12-17-2002, 01:50 AM
You should be able to get the results you want from selecting then subtracting. However there are plenty of alternatives as usual (photoshop always has a billion different ways to achieve the same thing).

You could try using the pen tool to draw some beziers and adjust them to your liking. Once you have drawn the shape, goto the layers / paths / channels pallete. Goto the path pallete and click the 'Load path as selection' button. It is down the bottom, a little dotted circle. This will load your path as a selection with which you can do whatever you want with.

Another alternative is to draw your two shapes on their own layers as if you were ready for a boolean subtraction. Goto the layer that you are using as the subtractor and ctrl+click on it in the layers pallete. This will load it as a selection. Then make sure the other layer is active and delete this selection out of it to get your moon. If you make a mistake go back and you can reposition your cirlces better. This is easier to judge than using the selection tools, which can be a bit of hit and miss sometimes.

I hope that helps.

Trambott
12-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Thanks Ian for the help
well I spent a good deal of the arvo playing with thems marquee tools and after kicking my PC several times , I finally am getting an idea of how to control them.
I tried your second suggestion, (still to much of a newbie to understand what the hell you was on about on the first one), and it worked damn well. So thanks heaps for ya help

Ian Jones
12-17-2002, 12:16 PM
np, glad I could help.

make sure that anti-aliasing is turned on when trying to achieve smooth results with the selection tools. If you are using ps 5.5 this is located as a little tick box in the options pallete. If you are using ps 7 then this is located at the top of the window, again a little check box.

The first option was using the pen tool. It is essentially a vector tool that allows you to draw splines / curves and manipulate their shape with bezier handles. This is like Adobe Illustrator, or any 3d software. It is a little different to say Max's controls but it is essentially the same idea. Once you have drawn a shape you can convert it to a selection! its neato!

ctrl+clicking on a layer in the layers pallete will load the alpha / transparency information of that layer so you can use the selection as you wish.

Anything you'd like me to clear up just let me know... :thumbsup:

fig
12-17-2002, 02:10 PM
just to back ian up, LEARN the pen tool. works very similar to the pen tool in illustrator, and it'll be your best friend in photoshop once you learn it :)

chris

Trambott
12-18-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Ian Jones

Anything you'd like me to clear up just let me know... :thumbsup: [/B]

I will make you regret saying that :P
Anyhow my brain was working breifly for a short while today and I managed to figure out that first suggestion that you ummm suggested. Thanks loads for this, it was exactly the sort of control that i was looking for. That pen tool is a damn handy device.

Ian Jones
12-18-2002, 05:54 AM
hehe, np... shoot away! :thumbsup:

KingMob
12-23-2002, 05:13 PM
you probably already got this to work, but another way, I dont think ian mentioned (hey I am an Ian to...how odd)

Make a new layer, draw circle selection, fill it with a color, then make another circle selection, a little larger than the first one, move it into the place that will be the empty portion of your crescent moon, and hit delete. now simply ctrl-click (cmnd-click apple) that layer, and you have a moon selection

Not as nice as a vector alternative but it's a quick and dirt way to do it.

Also i think in ps7 vector shapes there is a crescent moon, that you could make, with the same idea as above.

photoshop has around 2 billion ways to do anything... it rules.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.