PDA

View Full Version : Happy Feet! TEASER TRAILER (AWESOME TRAILER)

RobertoOrtiz
03-10-2006, 02:31 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/happyfeet.html;_ylt=ApSEGjQEaSTb1jKglu1sqs5fVXcA

-R

Breinmeester
03-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I still don't really get this movie.... I liked some of the animation on this piece, but the mo-cap is still quite visible. I don't understand realistic penguins with sunny music, dancing and singing with tropical accents. What is this movie about??

jeremybirn
03-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Nice trailer. Nice snow system!

This kind of musical with a plot centered around an all-important dance contest is a well-established genre of film; what's not to get about the premise?

-jeremy

Breinmeester
03-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Ah!! A contest! That explains a lot!
I hope these characters can capture an audience as individuals with distinct personalities. I still need something to convince me, but who knows....

Shaderhacker
03-10-2006, 05:46 PM
This is by far the most interesting trailer I've seen of the 3 new ones that came out. Robin Williams and the animation for that penguin are nailed perfectly! Watch out film industry - we have a new player in town!

-M

gruvsyco
03-10-2006, 05:52 PM
looks brilliant! Got a good chuckle out of me.

Cronholio
03-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Are you guys high?

Slurry
03-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Are you guys high?

LOL

Thanks for that!

Art ;)

ThomasMahler
03-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Are you guys high?

Nah.

Happy.

Happy, happy, happy!

eek
03-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Amazing stuff! My favorite cg film so far by the trailer.

Desperado ill catch up with you soon bud. btw where are you now? RSP?

MartyMcFly
03-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Holy crap that was terrible.:eek:

Who in their right minds wants to see dancing mo-capped penguins!

Couldn't stand the teaser,...and thats less than a minute, I can't amagine an entire movie.

oh, well....they can't all be good:shrug:

Bulldog
03-10-2006, 06:55 PM
This is not even a rental for me to be honest. Sorry but I cant see what all the excitement is for about mocapped jerky penguins dancing and singing :shrug:

monovich
03-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Who in their right minds wants to see dancing mo-capped penguins!

:shrug:

me?

strangelife
03-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I thought the trailer was pretty damn cool. I don't see what the uproar over the animation is, but, to each his own I guess...

Dennik
03-10-2006, 08:58 PM
I don' know. Dance competitions are pretty bad subject even in movies with people. I can't imagine few CG penguins doing any better. Unless they are the penguins from Madagaskar.

agreenster
03-10-2006, 09:06 PM
For some reason, I'm REALLY drawn to this. Maybe because I'm tired of the heavy Disney-esque plot-driven trailers that end up disappointing me at the theater anyway. Seems like only Pixar can pull it off nowadays, so why even try? Kinda been done to death too...

So it's simple in it's premise: "We're going to make you laugh by making silly penguins dance around and say funny stuff." I dunno. I dig it.

And are you sure it's mocapped? If it is, it's been touched up a lot ala the Gollum method (and I dont hear anyone complaining that Gollum was mocapped)

mangolass
03-10-2006, 09:31 PM
The animation is tight! Senery looks amazing, too ~ I hope they release this one in IMAX!

LT

amannin
03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
how can you tell this is mocapped (since i don't get that feeling)?

i really liked Robin Williams character in Robots, so hopefully he has another great character which brings out his personality...

& at least the dancing penguins in this movie look much better than (and I know this is a strecth) that the ones in the Coca Cola commerical *makes me want to punch something* jk

Magidion
03-10-2006, 11:49 PM
So, where did you guys get the idea that this film is about a dance contest :)
Another point, I'm not saying that jamaican accents are any where in the actual movie, but what kind of accent is native to antartica?
I'm glad that most of you like the work done on this film. It's very easy to arbitrarily decide to hate a film because of past productions that failed to make the mocap element work. I personally feel that it works in this case and that the talent and techincal effort that has gone into it will actually allow the story to be told im a way that makes the film more about story and less about the machines and technique used to create it.

Note: I am currently working on this film and so of course I cannot be completely unbias.

my views do not neccessarily reflect those of my employer.

Magidion.

P_T
03-10-2006, 11:51 PM
I wish they use different phrase other than that "I know size can be daunting..." that's been used in the other trailer with a better effect.

Breinmeester
03-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Another point, I'm not saying that jamaican accents are any where in the actual movie, but what kind of accent is native to antartica?

Actually I really don't get what it is all about totally, but someone said 'dance contest'.

About the accent thing: that's a bit thinking the other way around, isn't it? 'It isn't American, so we need some accent. Let's use this tropical one, because we don't know what a polar one sounds like.'

If Agreenster is right and it is just supposed to be silly and make you laugh, I guess it gets you when you think it's funny. I can imagine that people think this is funny, but I'm left still wondering what the plot line is....

Good luck with your work!

Nathellion
03-11-2006, 08:43 AM
From this lowly modeler's standpoint the animation looks great. :)

This looks to be highly entertaining, so long as the over-the-top accents don't get overplayed. Render quality looks fantastic.

umbrellasky
03-11-2006, 08:52 AM
:D hehe this is cool (no pun intended...) I really like the movements, they look very realistic. I can't wait to see this when comes out!

ThomasMahler
03-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I also don't know why some people always have to bug Happy Feet threads with "This looks awful, goddamn awful!" comments. I really, really like where this is heading. Doesn't feel at all like "just another talking animals movie".

nickepstein
03-11-2006, 10:56 AM
eeewwwwwwwwwww.
what a great looking movie, buti just cannot get over the mocap.
bite the bullet, hand animate and i think you might just have an amazing product.
as it stands, i think it will just be amazing to look at.
love that snow.

jeremybirn
03-11-2006, 02:12 PM

That's what the synopsis from some of the upcoming movie sites said, they needed to sing or dance to win their love or something like that.... {google, google} ...oh here it is: "HAPPY FEET is a comedy adventure set in the land of the Emperor Penguins in the heart of Antarctica. These penguins sing, each needing their own special song to attract a soul mate. Unfortunately, our hero Mumble (Elijah Wood), son of Memphis (Hugh Jackman) and Norma Jean (Nicole Kidman), is the worst singer in the world... but he can tap dance something fierce!"

-jeremy

magan3D
03-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Well I guess I've seen everything. A Spanish speaking penguin singing Frank Sinatra.

Poisen
03-12-2006, 04:32 AM
Is Morgan Freeman going to narrate?

maybe im jaded, but i fail to see how realistic and fantastic a talking and dancing penguin CAN be..

yenvalmar
03-12-2006, 12:18 PM
and i have to agree with a lot of the comments- render quality, 100%, if you want photorealistic mountains and penguins they got it. animation- not so hot. i am sure that animation could have been keyframed and would look better.

i think compared to golumn it doesnt work as well because the form of the penguins is not like a human, and therefore the humanistic quality of the motion, even heavily massaged, is very jarring, especially since the penguins are so realistic. in the case of golumn it, at least arguably, helped sell the character, because hes basically a human form. i think it might just be one of those concepts that not gonna work, never should have got past the drawing board, etc. but hey if you are hired to try to make the mocap work, i understand its not your fault if the concept was flawed, i'm sure it was very hard..

but watch that trailer vs, say anything by pixar, no comparison in terms of the expressiveness of the animation. (pixar wins if i have to spell it out, even animating luxo lamps.) given the resources they clearly have at their disposal, is there such a moratorium on talented animators? why dont they hire me in that case, i could do it :) ah well.

as to the story i dont think this trailer does a very good job at all of conveying that... if not for the written plot description on the website it would be totally unclear. not that any movie trailer should give away the plot of the movie, but at least the trailers for say, cars, over the hedge, etc, show a variety of situations and scenarios and give some idea of what you can expect from the movie.

OneSharpMarble
03-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I saw a trailer for this and was waiting for the dancing and singing to end so it could get on with whatever the story was supposed to be. But it didn't, they danced and sung the whole trailer and I had no clue if there even was a story outside of a bunch of animals singing and dancing.

Personally I am sick of penguins, I guess they are the trendy animal right now and everyone has to see them on everything. Who here honestly goes to a movie to watch dancing and singing? Don't get me wrong the quality of the cg looks great but if 90% of the show is dancing I couldn't care less.

I dunno I think I would rather just hang out here and watch some demo reels then pay to watch a movie like this.

amannin
03-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I imagine they'll release another trailer, one with actual clips from the movie, so until then, I'll reserve my judgement, or perhaps until i actually watch the movie...

as far as the mocaped penguins go, why not make them move like humans. penguins obviously can't move very fast nor can they do anything very exciting, just waddle, flap, slide. so since their penguins are going to dance/sing, why not make them human like, i.e. mocap, bending of the arms/flaps, quick shuffling of the feet.

to the untrained eye (mine included i suppose) no one will ever think, "hey, how lame -- they mocapped those penguins," but more or less be amused by the dancing and singing mixed in with humor throughout the movie.

i myself, would prefer not to see singing and dancing for 1.5hrs straight, but somehow i doubt that will be the case, despite the story revolving around it :D -- i think it will work out.

JeroenDStout
03-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh gees, everybody who complains, plot, human shape - people, it's dancing penguins! You can't get much cooler as dancing penguins! I mean...

I need to see it :)!

EpShot
03-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Who here honestly goes to a movie to watch dancing and singing?.

:thumbsup:

FloydBishop
03-12-2006, 10:17 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/p/2005/dream_penguin_500x301.jpg

PDI/Dreamworks should put out a feature with these guys. They could kick that mocapped bird's pin feathers.

I'm not going to see "Happy Feet" because of the MoCap process being used. I prefer my animated films to be animated. If I want to see MoCap, I'l go play an EA sports title (which is a totally legit use of MoCap in my opinion).

Starkz
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey, I saw that Ice Age teaser the other week...gee, I hope its not 2 hours of watching that little squirrel guy trying to find nuts...that sounds kinda boring.

There was that X-Men teaser a while back too. Judging by that the next movie will be 2 hours of a spinning shiny logo...hmm...don't think I'll go see that one.

ntmonkey
03-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Wow, we're not predjudice at all are we? :D

If the trailer gives the plot away, we bitch. If the trailer shows nothing of the plot but some funny bits, we bitch. If there is a lack of jobs due to a lack of 3D movies, we bitch. And then when there's too many 3D movies coming out, guess what....yup....we bitch.

I love our family.

-Lu

FloydBishop
03-12-2006, 10:47 PM
I love our family.

-Lu

Shut up, ya jerk! ;)

FloydBishop
03-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Hey, I saw that Ice Age teaser the other week...gee, I hope its not 2 hours of watching that little squirrel guy trying to find nuts...that sounds kinda boring.

I would probably enjoy that movie.

SimonPickard
03-12-2006, 11:00 PM
" I'm not going to see "Happy Feet" because of the MoCap process being used. I prefer my animated films to be animated."

/scarasm on

Yep I agree. These "computer" films are all rubish which is why I only watch 2D ones. That's real animation. Who cares if it has a good plot or not, if it's a fun film that entertains us, has characters that you care for, etc, if there's part of the creation process I'm not happy with I don't want to know.

/scarasm off

heh, just seems a funny reason for not giving a movie a chance? Personally I think a good film should be a good film. Look at incredibles.. that's the best example I can think of where you forget it's even animated, that's not down to the animation style or how it was created, it's down to the story and how the viewer relates to it. If pixar had used motion capture just think of the story you'd have missed out on.
Just my view anyhow...

Regards,
Simon.

EpShot
03-12-2006, 11:03 PM
can we agree that.. "it takes all kinds"?

i mean really i like the look of this movie, some don't just like some people like stylized look vs non stylized, etc. i think this thread shows that =)

JeroenDStout
03-12-2006, 11:04 PM
People... I think we're missing the point here and the point is not about mo-cap. The point is about... PENGUINS!

You can't not see a movie about penguins.

Aaaand I never saw any of the movies about penguins.

pixelkeg
03-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey it's just a tool for telling stories, just like pencils, film, and plain text. Depends on who is using the tool.

Don't knock it 'till you've done it. :rolleyes:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=327464

Personally i think the Dance Contest is a great idea. :P

-------------------------------------
"One man gathers what another man spills" - Jerry Garcia

6foot5
03-12-2006, 11:35 PM
the 'intelligent design' lobby are going to wet themselves when they see this. ;)

sirBabatunde
03-13-2006, 01:01 AM
I would probably enjoy that movie.

FLoyd Bishop........... You've C h a n g e d.....

Hey Floyd didnt you work on that movie? ice age?... I suppose it is quite likely that you would enjoy that movie...

Is your show real under Bishop animation studios or under Blue sky? Curious.. Nice drawings by the by....

asparapani
03-13-2006, 02:13 AM
And are you sure it's mocapped?

I garantee you 1 million% that it's mocaped....

MrPositive
03-13-2006, 02:25 AM
How many times can they play the penguin card? Yes we know, penguins are gloriously cute, get over it. Does anybody really want to hear Robin Williams do 15 different penguin voices for 2 hours? Just the thought of it makes me nauseated. All these amazingly talented artists rehashing the same thing over and over, makes me sad. Unless Pixar is doing it, then I would prefer a 3D movie of a style more like those below.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273112
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322331
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=301260
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=282203
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=265189
People will say well it won't sell, but how do we know when it's never been tried. It's either been cute and saturated or realistic, where is the in between where art can flourish in this medium. It's great when we have all these amazing stills and shorts posted here everyday showing off great style and substance, but when our supposed leaders of the industry, feature films, continually fail to venture into this arena....it becomes disheartening.

anakinbrego
03-13-2006, 02:29 AM
This mocap is amazing, it fooled me, I thought it was all keyframed!! Well back in 1998 I predicted that 2D animation would be replaced by 3D computer animation. I predict now that animators will be replaced by mocap and a face robot! That doesn't mean I like it, I see why everyone is upset, it will replace what the artist does. I love animation to death, Pixar and PDI films are my favorite, and I was one of those kids that was crazy about everything in Disney Animation! But while watching General Grievous in Episode 3, I felt keyframe wasn't right for that character, and should of been mocapped! Mocap is more subtle and tighter and more believable, hey it works well in live action! Today people expect things to be done in the most sophisticated, and technological way as much as possible!

The dancing baby penguin clip!
http://mp3content02.bcst.yahoo.com/broot3/BusShare10/yahoomovies/10/23152761.mov

Robin Williams character sings My Way in Spanish!
http://mp3content01.bcst.yahoo.com/pub06root4/Pub06Share13/yahoomovies/2/23152765.mov

Great stuff!!! :thumbsup:

JDex
03-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Hope the flame retardant jump suit is on.

jeremybirn
03-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Well back in 1998 I predicted that 2D animation would be replaced by 3D computer animation. I predict now that animators will be replaced by mocap and a face robot!

I predict now that people posting predictions on the Internet will be replaced by a Google News Extrapolation Service and a Waffle Iron!

-jeremy

RobertoOrtiz
03-13-2006, 02:40 AM
I predict that the SUN will go NOVA one day.

I predit that all matter in the universe will one day collapse on itself...

Hell I'll bet on it.

-R

Poisen
03-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Ill take that bet, and raise you one happy meal.

Suns not going to go nova...its the wrong type.
and the universe collapse on itself?
nope, im going with Apathy, the constant reduction to zero.
see ya in a zillion years to collect on that bet Robert! ;)

Sapus
03-13-2006, 05:55 AM
That's what the synopsis from some of the upcoming movie sites said, they needed to sing or dance to win their love or something like that.... {google, google} ...oh here it is: "HAPPY FEET is a comedy adventure set in the land of the Emperor Penguins in the heart of Antarctica. These penguins sing, each needing their own special song to attract a soul mate. Unfortunately, our hero Mumble (Elijah Wood), son of Memphis (Hugh Jackman) and Norma Jean (Nicole Kidman), is the worst singer in the world... but he can tap dance something fierce!"

-jeremy
and someone can get the film is about a contest from that?... may be you do some mess with Surf'up a penguin based movie that sony will release in 2007

Sapus
03-13-2006, 06:03 AM
I dont understand all this mocap hate... I find this very stupid.. the people saying that remember me of this actors of theater that 100 years ago from theit high tower of Ivory used to blame against motion picture and film industry... because in their mind acting in a film was not real acting but a ugly spoof of their Art.

sirBabatunde
03-13-2006, 06:28 AM
I garantee you 1 million% that it's mocaped....

I call your bluff and raise you 1%!

bet you mr Asap!

asparapani
03-13-2006, 06:38 AM
SOLD to you babaloo!

jeremybirn
03-13-2006, 09:52 AM
and someone can get the film is about a contest from that?... may be you do some mess with Surf'up a penguin based movie that sony will release in 2007

Maybe. Please don't quiz me on all the penguin movies! I haven't even seen the "March of the Penguins" one that won the Academy Award. If penguins are the new dinosaurs and there are lots of penguin films coming, I have some catching up to do. :)

I'm sure I'll be completely surprised by the plot of Happy Feet when it comes out.

-jeremy

colinbear
03-13-2006, 10:26 AM
I dont understand all this mocap hate... I find this very stupid.. the people saying that remember me of this actors of theater that 100 years ago from theit high tower of Ivory used to blame against motion picture and film industry... because in their mind acting in a film was not real acting but a ugly spoof of their Art.

you're right. theres nothing wrong with mocap... as a technique. but like any technique it has to be used in a convincing manner.

the problem i see with it is when it looks like a verbatim remapping of motion from human physiology onto what should be a completely different physiology, and all you get is the impression its a guy in a suit, or in this case a buch of guys in suits... dancing... in the snow.

yes its a potentially cheaper system for (mass) animating characters, and i imagine cheapness is pretty high up there on a studio's list of "very good things about mocap", however i'll stick to the hope that it never replaces the need for the talented keyframe animators that are in this industry.

mocap cannot replace the subtleties and conscious/sub-conscious animating decisions borne out of experience and a "feel" for the character that an animator can provide.

Sapus
03-13-2006, 10:56 AM
I think The fun is that pinguins dence, they act as penguin, but they sometime stop to be penguin to dance and they dance in a non penguin way... from goofy animals to pofessional dencers... this breack is so huge that make me not bother id they are "guys in a Suit"... they dance and they are not penguin any more... I think this is fun.

FloydBishop
03-14-2006, 01:14 AM
Hey Floyd didnt you work on that movie? ice age?... I suppose it is quite likely that you would enjoy that movie...

I was a character animator on the first "Ice Age" film. I have nothing to do with the second film, or any other Blue Sky production since then.

Is your show real under Bishop animation studios or under Blue sky? Curious.. Nice drawings by the by....

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm not with Blue Sky any more. I've started my own small animation shop. No threat of the pink slip coming my way anytime soon.

eek
03-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Maybe. Please don't quiz me on all the penguin movies! I haven't even seen the "March of the Penguins" one that won the Academy Award. If penguins are the new dinosaurs and there are lots of penguin films coming, I have some catching up to do. :)

I'm sure I'll be completely surprised by the plot of Happy Feet when it comes out.

-jeremy

Everyone!! Jeremys the authority on penguins, direct all questions to him!..

sirBabatunde
03-14-2006, 02:37 AM
I was a character animator on the first "Ice Age" film. I have nothing to do with the second film, or any other Blue Sky production since then.I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm not with Blue Sky any more. I've started my own small animation shop. No threat of the pink slip coming my way anytime soon.

I like some of your drawings. Also some of your animation. Curious about your more more recent work.

The Mocap arguement is amusing , If you have been around long enough to remember the argument 2d animators had against 3d animators its a retarded echo echo e c h o

I like orange juice.

6foot5
03-14-2006, 02:44 AM
Rotoscoping, the mocap of its day, was being used by Disney many years ago...thanks to people like Chuck Jones we have built an animating language which includes such things as squash and stretch which cannot be mocapped.

j alan hawkins
03-14-2006, 02:53 AM
.I'm just thankful Roberto is able to stay objective with his thread titles. (AWESOME POST)

Forgive me Roberto, i couldnt resist.
:)

jeremybirn
03-14-2006, 03:26 AM
the problem i see with it is when it looks like a verbatim remapping of motion from human physiology onto what should be a completely different physiology, and all you get is the impression its a guy in a suit, or in this case a buch of guys in suits... dancing... in the snow.
Yeah! Next thing you know, they'll be recording a human voice and making animal characters talk and sing with a verbatim reproduction of a human voice with human vocal chords, when it should have completely different physiology!

Oh, wait, they all do that.

But singing like a human is an entirely different premise from dancing like a human, because... Because why again?

-jeremy

pixelkeg
03-14-2006, 04:03 AM
I just wanted to go on the record to say that I also like orange juice. Have you tasted the orange-mango juice? It's very tropical.

OneSharpMarble
03-14-2006, 04:08 AM
I just wanted to go on the record to say that I also like orange juice. Have you tasted the orange-mango juice? It's very tropical.

No one is arguing that it is tropical! The question is whether or not it is fruitilatious! Geez get with the program. :D

stevopolis
03-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Are you guys on crack!!! What is it that you liked? The spaztic mo-cap, or the wonderfully
unoriginal photographic design. Come on people. Get with the program. I don't know how
to say this. This is total "Poop".

Help the souls who are pouring sweat and blood into this thing. Is there any dialoque
or plot. What the heck is up with producers now-a-days.

p.s. Totally sick of the same old crap!!!

eek
03-14-2006, 04:36 AM
Are you guys on crack!!! What is it that you liked? The spaztic mo-cap, or the wonderfully
unoriginal photographic design. Come on people. Get with the program. I don't know how

Help the souls who are pouring sweat and blood into this thing. Is there any dialoque

thanks for the comment.

6foot5
03-14-2006, 04:44 AM

geez louise! give it a chance! you've only seen a couple of trailers, i think it looks quite fun, and besides for the general cinema going public motion capture isnt really an issue, they tend to judge these type of films on such unsophisticated grounds as charachter, story and humour.(id even say plot is inconsequential for this type of film)
Its silly to be so puritanical about animation techniques with regard to major hollywood productions, its about entertainment first and foremost.

stevopolis
03-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Okay. Let's recap. They are photo-realistic penquins that convulse in a wonderfully mo-cap way. Ohh, and not to mention they dance for 2 hours. Geez, maybe at the very least, 3D artists addicted to anything 3D will fund this thing. Of course, Mr. Wiggles and Teletubbies are very successful. Do you guys like to watch the Teletubbies. It's very cutting edge...

Wiro
03-14-2006, 05:55 AM

There's one in every forum :shrug:

Wiro

JeroenDStout
03-14-2006, 11:55 AM

Yeah! We demand more films in which people talk with eachother and face really, really impressive problems!! Things don't need plot to be impressive. It needs penguins.

P_T
03-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Kinda OT

This discussion reminds me of when I met a couple of Animalogists at Maloney's pool hall/pub sometime last year, well, they said they work at Animalogic. Anyway, they challenged me and my mates and we started talking. I asked them about this movie but they didn't say much and I can barely remember our conversation apart from the movie being delayed for some reason. I can only remember that they weren't very good at pool. :D

Oh btw, that PR lady still work at Animalogic?

Redz
03-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by stevopolis
Ohh, and not to mention they dance for 2 hours.

I don't even think Musicals have 2 hours of Dancing and Singing.

Originally Posted by stevopolis
Of course, Mr. Wiggles and Teletubbies are very successful.

I would't know, I tend not to watch crap like that. I think Thomas the Train is much cooler.
Lighten up bro. "Don't be a playa hater... be a playa participater."

streetsy
03-14-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm still seeing penguins... around every corner... in every shadow...

But I will still be there on Happy Feet opening day at the box office.
I'll be thinking of you guys on the front line. Good luck.

:applause:

Streetsy :?)

asparapani
03-15-2006, 01:36 AM
If penguins are the new dinosaurs and there are lots of penguin films coming, I have some catching up to do. :)

Sony is releasing Surfs Up next year I believe. Another penguin movie...

asparapani
03-15-2006, 01:39 AM

yes its a potentially cheaper system for (mass) animating characters, and i imagine cheapness is pretty high up there on a studio's list of "very good things about mocap", however i'll stick to the hope that it never replaces the need for the talented keyframe animators that are in this industry.

mocap cannot replace the subtleties and conscious/sub-conscious animating decisions borne out of experience and a "feel" for the character that an animator can provide.

One of the main reasons the studio decided to use mocap was so that George can direct them the way he wants, real time and take after take. He's comfortable with that style of directing....

BillB
03-15-2006, 08:26 AM
One of the main reasons the studio decided to use mocap was so that George can direct them the way he wants, real time and take after take. He's comfortable with that style of directing....
Ah, so it's a crutch...

(ducks and runs)

FloydBishop
03-15-2006, 01:25 PM
If I want to see a guy in a penguin suit, I'll go to a fancy restaurant.

Animation (to me) requires that someone manipulates a character in some fashion to achieve the performance. This does not mean (to me) that a person acts it out as he or she is recorded.

Yes Disney used rotoscoping, but that rotoscoping stood out like a sore thumb. It could never compare to the subtle animation on something like the dwarfs facial animation or Sher Khan's walk... and Walt Disney knew that. He used it when he needed to.

A good use of rotoscoping:

"Hey, this human princess needs to run down a flight of stairs"

"Let's film it for real and roto it!"

A bad use of rotoscoping:

"Hey, this octopus needs to ride a unicycle and juggle accordians."

"Let's film it for real and roto it!"

So in today's world:

A good use of mo cap:

"Hey, this athlete needs to play sports just like a real player."

"Let's mo cap it!"

A bad use of mo cap:

Almost eveything else.

jeremybirn
03-15-2006, 02:14 PM
To act as if performers and puppeteers will never use mocap to portray anything new would be just as short-sighted as the guy who predicted mocap would replace animation. Either way, we should have some respect for human creativity bringing continued innovation to any storytelling medium.

In other parts of the creative process, lets say modeling or texture mapping, I don't see as much elitism. Most people are happy with a diverse mix of what's initially digitized, what's authored from scratch on the computer, what's procedural or simulated, and they go with whatever's best for a particular project. It's sad to contrast that open-mindedness with the way the old keyframe v. mocap debate is getting rehashed here with posts that could have been cut from a decade-old thread on cg-char.

-jeremy

streetsy
03-15-2006, 09:50 PM

Also remembering there is dancing penguins. Think how difficult (costly) it would be to choreograph a dance amongst several dozen animators. As mentioned above the immediate feedback obtained from dancers is much more creative than waiting for your playblast to finish then make small change, repeat.
The animators and the mocap people have to work to each others strengths and so create a blend that will work as a believable performance. This is not easy and should be respected as a viable process along with just animation or mocap by itself.

From what I have seen there is alot of animtion as well as mocap and its working very well. I take my hat off to the people involved.

Even if it is not perfected in this movie then it is a major step forward to the people wanting to try it in their next film.

As to those "animation purists"... whatever. I am sure there will be a lot of other people who will enjoy the film for its end result and not what is percieved to be a PURE form of animation.

Michael5188
03-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Isn't the goal for the final product to look the best? I mean you want a cheaper, easier, or quicker way, but ultimately the goal is for the final product to look good. So whether you think the motion capture on the penguins looks good or not is your opinion (obviously, since there are people who like it and people who don't" But to say Motion Capture is dumb or animation is better is silly, cause both can be great depending on the situation. Gollum, and King Kong. Both very successfull characters, both motion captured. Woody and Buzz. Both very successfull characters, both animated.

Wanggo
03-15-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't know about you guys but, I watched that penguin for a few seconds and it's already funnier than that Larry the cable guy character in Cars. I've seen a few Cars trailers and I'm still yet to laugh at that redneckish truck. I think we'll see the most annoying movie character ever in him, second only to JarJar.

FloydBishop
03-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Isn't the goal for the final product to look the best?

Not if you wear a tie to work.

asparapani
03-16-2006, 03:52 AM
Also remembering there is dancing penguins. Think how difficult (costly) it would be to choreograph a dance amongst several dozen animators.

You forget how expensive a motion capture system is when you consider everything it encompasses to achieve a result. Think of the setup costs, calibration, space, rigging, r&d, etc. Then you have to get that data into a rig in a 3d package. Most of the time you need a separate rig along with your keyframing rig that will SLOW THE HELL DOWN your performance while animating. That process initself requires a very large and EXPENSIVE pipeline to setup, run, and keep running.

A great disadvantage is that mocap is not a technology where if the director changes his mind (like all directors some more than others) you can't just re-animate it or change the curves or manipulate it. The result will look forced and not natural. Mocap is a re-shoot technology, not a "let's capture movement and if we wanna change something we can do it easily in the 3d package"

Mocap is an added pipeline next to your animation pipeline. May i also add that it's not backwards compatible. A keyframed pipe is easy to go to and from and stage that the animation is in whether it's blocking or refine.

asparapani
03-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Oh I also forgot, it's much easier to film a group of actors on video and then use them as a reference to keyframe your movement. So NO it doesnt take longer. Keyframers use live action reference ALL THE TIME whether to enhance their acting or get reference for a specific movement.

EpShot
03-16-2006, 04:41 AM
I guess if your 'really' into animation specificaly, then i can understand being so turned off. I'll even admit i've have9and very random) certain realism peeves in other movies.

but this isn't one, and judging from many people here, its not their either. I dont' find the motion distracting at all. Maybe(probably) it could be better if the time would, but i'm mroe concerned about wether or not its an entertaining movie. And so far.. i'm pretty entertained. certainyl more so than the Cars trailer (i'm nto judging the movie yet, i'm sur eit will be great story telling) and i'm really looking forward to this more. even tho i knwo the animation for cars, will be 100 times better. just like i'm sur ethe animation in chicken little was great.

Michael5188
03-16-2006, 08:07 PM
I don't know how people are judging the movie so deeply off such a brief trailor. I mean there's really not much to it, and it doesn't show anything about the story which is what will make it a good movie.

You see a penguin dance for a minute and already you're deciding you hate it and you won't go see it...

FloydBishop
03-17-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't know how people are judging the movie so deeply off such a brief trailor. I mean there's really not much to it, and it doesn't show anything about the story which is what will make it a good movie.

You see a penguin dance for a minute and already you're deciding you hate it and you won't go see it...

That's the whole point of a trailer. That is why they are made.

Michael5188
03-17-2006, 04:17 PM
No, you're misunderstanding me. People are making too many assumptions off this trailer, they make it sound like they already know the plot and characters.

Its an early trailer, which is bound to have less information.

The whole point of a trailer is to get people to want to see the movie, so if this trailer doesn't get you excited about it, that's fine, but don't say the plot is horrible and the characters are lame and etc. when you really don't know if they are yet. I don't think its wise to form a solid opinion of the movie until maybe more is released.

EricLyman
03-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Meh, doesn't really look interesting to me, and that part where they fly in to his mouth really creeped me out. But anyway, it's too bad that yet another penguin movie is being made when there are so many other ideas that could be explored. Sigh

HellBoy
04-30-2006, 09:15 PM
you guys seen the second trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/happyfeet/trailer1/

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2006, 09:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.